More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

6 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Santon allegedly where DBC needed extra flexibility to manage the refuse contract they secured by freeing up crews from providing services to the people of Douglas. 

??????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

And if the reduction in costs of £25K/pa is to be believed then most of that saving will go into engaging a PR company to keep their customers at bay.

That Facebook Group looks like it has some legs left in it yet. These local authorities really make me laugh. I see one Councillor somewhere on here saying that they’re currently discussing a social media and press strategy. That simply wouldn’t be needed if you hadn’t pissed off the people who are funding your local authority in the first place. And as we know these faceless government types are never capable of admitting they’re wrong so quite what is your strategy is going to be anyway will be interesting because it won’t involve admitting you’re wrong or backing down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 11:41 PM, Amadeus said:

I have some of the info already but want to wait for a meeting tomorrow first where the subject is how we generally handle media and online forums etc. Unfortunately nothing is straight forward in that place and I’m getting increasingly frustrated. But answers will come shortly. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm less interested in considered answers that follow a meeting on how to manage the message. You would have had 20 days to answer my query had it been a Freedom-of-Information request - you're collectively well past that.

Now I don't expect that level of service from an anonymous, public forum. It's genuinely impressive that you're single-handedly trying to bring transparency to the peanut gallery that is MF.

DBC has played its first card - the fortnightly collection. It's doubled-down on the one-bin-only rule.
The public has responded: the recycling bins are inadequate compared to the four-wheelie-bin system across, and some arrangements (for example, communal bins belonging to flats, families with young children, etc.) need immediate concessions because their circumstances make fortnightly collections intolerable.

If you want to take this recycling initiative seriously, then make a serious investment in it for the long term and stop faffing around like amateurs.

• Like 8

I do not have space to keep recycle boxes in my home, but try to recycle.
There are public facilities to recycle glass, cans and paper but DBC does not have any public facility to recycle plastic, so it goes in the bin! And those damned IOM creamery cartons- Tesco only, or pay again for collection! (Bin)
Have the powers that be thought about a recycle for voucher scheme like Scandinavian countries - people take recyclable cans, glass bottles and plastic bottles to supermarkets, ‘post’ them into collecting machines and get vouchers in exchange, nominal amount, but still works. Same as the old pop bottles used to be!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, 360 View said:

There are public facilities to recycle glass, cans and paper but DBC does not have any public facility to recycle plastic, so it goes in the bin! And those damned IOM creamery cartons- Tesco only, or pay again for collection! (Bin)
Have the powers that be thought about a recycle for voucher scheme like Scandinavian countries - people take recyclable cans, glass bottles and plastic bottles to supermarkets, ‘post’ them into collecting machines and get vouchers in exchange, nominal amount, but still works. Same as the old pop bottles used to be!

It is odd that plastics can only be recycled via the domestic collections and the milk carton collection points are so few.  Also surprising that Shoprite hasn't joined in the provision of soft plastic recycling which covers a lot of waste shown as recyclable at larger supermarkets only.  That is quite a but of rubbish that is difficult to recycle.  

18 hours ago, Banker said:

Not sure there are any savings, a friend in Douglas catchment rang & asked what were refuse collectors doing instead & was advised they have been redeployed but the person at town hall didn’t know where!!

17 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Santon allegedly where DBC needed extra flexibility to manage the refuse contract they secured by freeing up crews from providing services to the people of Douglas. 

11 hours ago, Amadeus said:

??????

I assume they are not zero-hour contract staff, and the work they have experience of is emptying bins, so what are they ding?

38 minutes ago, 360 View said:

In Braddan, we have weekly bin collections & recycling 2 weekly & they take paper, glass, tins & all plastics. We have the 3 boxes on wheels for recycling ie paper/cardboard in one, glass in one & tins/plastic in the other , they also take large cardboard boxes etc if you leave out 

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

Apologies thought it was her letter 

Just Ashford. He's also posted 100+ pictures of overflowing black bins but, in finest DA tradition, has shot his own argument in the foot somewhat as many of these pictures show cardboard boxes, vacuum cleaners, lamps, and other things that should never be in those bins in the first place. Less is more, David.

No sign of any response from Ms Wells yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2