More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

5 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Our dustbin men are perfect, couldn't be better. Happy New Year all.

Why are there no dustbin women? I suspect there is some serious sex discrimination going on here. It is only a matter of time before there is a £multi-million claim from women who have been rejected as dustbin operatives.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Just take it to one of the many recycling places or put it in your bin then?  I don’t get why people expect to be spoon fed?

It’s Christmas so surely most people just accept they will have extra rubbish and deal with it themselves.  You can’t expect a refuse collection service to just miraculously scale up to hold people’s hands.  I really don’t get the drama over extra rubbish at Christmas.

Been to the amenity site twice already and will be going again today or tomorrow which isn't an issue. Believe me, though nothing extra is fitting in my bin this week with family visiting.

My issue is nothing to do with scaling up, and everything to do with not actually carrying out the single scheduled fortnightly collection that they actually messaged a confirmation for.

11 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Our dustbin men are perfect, couldn't be better. Happy New Year all.

Indeed. Our refuse collection actually showed up earlier than usual this week. The recycling, not at all.

4 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

My issue is nothing to do with scaling up, and everything to do with not actually carrying out the single scheduled fortnightly collection that they actually messaged a confirmation for.

There were some workers out in Governors Hill today picking up recycling waste in a small recycling van. It’s mad though if they’re texting people and then not actually doing the pickups they’re texting. 

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Just take it to one of the many recycling places or put it in your bin then?  I don’t get why people expect to be spoon fed?

It’s Christmas so surely most people just accept they will have extra rubbish and deal with it themselves.  You can’t expect a refuse collection service to just miraculously scale up to hold people’s hands.  I really don’t get the drama over extra rubbish at Christmas.

The bin is full to overflow. 

However it's not an issue. I put all my paper and card into my cleverly designed DBC recycling tub last night. When I looked out 5mins later the recycling team had been and emptied it. How efficient is that? So I filled it again and like a miracle they must have done a second visit. All this at 11pm last night. Absolutely amazing.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

It’s mad though if they’re texting people and then not actually doing the pickups they’re texting. 

It's an automated system. Maybe it wasn't set up for bank holidays; or maybe they were out collecting all day and simply ran out of time before getting to us because of the extra volume this week, who knows. Unlike the hard working refuse collectors, I imagine council desk jockeys will be very thin on the ground this week, so not expecting clarification any time soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Quite.  It is the responsibility of individuals to make sure they deal with their rubbish responsibly and not just dump it.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Quite.  It is the responsibility of individuals to make sure they deal with their rubbish responsibly and not just dump it.  

I suppose equally if people are being charged for refuge disposal as part of their rates then I can see why people are pissed off at either having rubbish flying round their garden or having to drive to the tip to get rid of it as they got a text saying it would be taken away and then it wasn’t. There didn’t really seem to be any issues with refuge services until they decided to change them. 

4 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

I suppose equally if people are being charged for refuge disposal as part of their rates then I can see why people are pissed off at either having rubbish flying round their garden or having to drive to the tip to get rid of it as they got a text saying it would be taken away and then it wasn’t. There didn’t really seem to be any issues with refuge services until they decided to change them. 

They pay for a certain level of service, not a bespoke service to compensate for their own unwillingness to deal with their waste responsibly. 

The issue arises from people not modifying their habits to deal with the changes.  At the end of the day, the same amount of refuse is being collected, just now split between normal waste and recycling.  

As for your second point, it is bad if there was no pick up despite a text  as there are more of those useless boxes on the street for longer in high winds and rain.  Waiting for my recycling to be picked up as today is the normal day.  We shall see. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

They pay for a certain level of service, not a bespoke service to compensate for their own unwillingness to deal with their waste responsibly. 

Twice a month is hardly bespoke though is it? It’s the sort of bare minimal service any local authority could get away with here or in the UK. Also I would imagine that most rate payers would expect some highly paid pen pusher to come up with a plan around peak times that actually factored in taking away peoples rubbish.  

8 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

Twice a month is hardly bespoke though is it? It’s the sort of bare minimal service any local authority could get away with here or in the UK. Also I would imagine that most rate payers would expect some highly paid pen pusher to come up with a plan around peak times that actually factored in taking away peoples rubbish.  

It's not twice a month, it is four times a month. 

• Like 1