More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

I use it, always feel.hard of throwing something that can do someone else a turn. 

However, when you drop stuff off the vultures descend like it's fresh road kill.  So much so, that once when they were rifling through the box I was carrying as I was walking in, I turned on my heel and put it in the household waste. 

I've had this they started helping themselves to the contents of my boot while i was putting other stuff in the reuse shed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, finlo said:

I've had this they started helping themselves to the contents of my boot while i was putting other stuff in the reuse shed!

It is so rude!  The reason I put stuff there is to help anyone who needs it, not to help someone else make a profit out of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Just for you I checked and that rule is only for the reuse shed. No idea where you go the info it applies to the whole site. 

It must be a staff training issue then as I didn’t say I was going to use the womble shed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Idleweiss said:

It must be a staff training issue then as I didn’t say I was going to use the womble shed.

They often use agency staff so maybe. Or maybe you’re getting old and the hearing isn’t what it used to be. Happens to me a lot. People say “bins sham” and I understand “well done!.” 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Disgusting I hope the people of Douglas appreciate the waste of nearly ten grand . I think it is a dreadful slight to a man who gave so much.    Shame on you .

None of them care. The Mayor appears to be completely mental. The council leader is an unelected lunatic living out some sort of fantasy of functional adequacy, and if there are a few others who care they are drowned out by attention seeking losers who misguidedly think that one day they might get to be MHK on a salary they never, ever, envisioned earning through talent.

Just my luck that I'm standing in for the Chair of the Regeneration and Community Committee when this came up. I think we all have received more messages about this issues than the change in the refuse collection schedule. It's nice that the people of Douglas care more about books than bins, but I wish more people had attended the chamber today as Councillor Clague gave some very well researched and relevant background on Henry Bloom Noble.

Background that provided important context about HBN and why changing the name isn’t taking anything away from him, but helping to move the city and the island forward. Some say the Isle of Man is resistant to change, but was today really such radical change? If you think about it, the library basically got its original name back, that’s all. HBN did not donate the library, it doesn’t diminish any of the other good things he did (next to many things some may say weren’t so good for the island), but does allow for the service to be modernised and be put in the spotlight.

I love what the library team are doing and how genuinely passionate they are about the place. The signage needed changing anyway, so this was a good time to start the next chapter in the history of this wonderful facility.

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Just my luck that I'm standing in for the Chair of the Regeneration and Community Committee when this came up. I think we all have received more messages about this issues than the change in the refuse collection schedule. It's nice that the people of Douglas care more about books than bins, but I wish more people had attended the chamber today as Councillor Clague gave some very well researched and relevant background on Henry Bloom Noble.

Background that provided important context about HBN and why changing the name isn’t taking anything away from him, but helping to move the city and the island forward. Some say the Isle of Man is resistant to change, but was today really such radical change? If you think about it, the library basically got its original name back, that’s all. HBN did not donate the library, it doesn’t diminish any of the other good things he did (next to many things some may say weren’t so good for the island), but does allow for the service to be modernised and be put in the spotlight.

I love what the library team are doing and how genuinely passionate they are about the place. The signage needed changing anyway, so this was a good time to start the next chapter in the history of this wonderful facility.

Could you perhaps enlighten us?  I know you are usually quite a vocal advocate of the island, so I'm quite surprised to see you voted to remove the name.

TBH, I don't get the big deal either way.  It was always 'Douglas Library' and is probably referred to in the same terms by many people.  It was nothing to do with HBN, apart from bearing his name from relatively recently. 

Do the signs really need to be replaced, or is this part of the re-naming of everything previously DBC as Douglas City?  

ETA Does the change of name really affect the plans for the future? 

Edited by Gladys
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gladys said:

TBH, I don't get the big deal either way.  It was always 'Douglas Library' and is probably referred to in the same terms by many people.  It was nothing to do with HBN, apart from bearing his name from relatively recently. 

Do the signs really need to be replaced, or is this part of the re-naming of everything previously DBC as Douglas City?  

People are emotional creatures, it's now associated with HBN (regardless of whether it should have been named so in the first instance). People now simply view the name change as a perceived insult to his name.

Any wise vote-seeker should bear things like this in mind.

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do the signs really need to be replaced,

I went past recently. The printed film is bubbling and peeling, whatever is underneath doesn’t look too good from street level.

I can’t remember what the justification given, when, after 125 years, the HBN name was attached when the library moved to Victoria and then Lord Street.

I don’t understand the faux outrage, based on the false information that the library was endowed by Noble, by so many people. Especially the level and extent with death threats. It’s another example of Southport and the effect of social media in dissemination of fake news.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

People are emotional creatures, it's now associated with HBN (regardless of whether it should have been named so in the first instance). People now simply view the name change as a perceived insult to his name.

Any wise vote-seeker should bear things like this in mind.

If that is the case, then keep the name.