More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

4 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Might that be "Don't change bank details on email instructions without separate verification"?

Or ask your boss if it’s ok to make a payment. It could be a number of simple steps. But the fact remains that at the same time the leader was citing on Manx Radio that she had been hacked about a meeting they had actually been relieved of £25K of rate payers money. But funnily enough nobody seems to have made any mention of that. Except the auditors in the accounts filed quietly on the DBC website.

21 minutes ago, FANDL said:

Do you? You appear to get confused in the rush to justify their activities. As the now published 2023 accounts attest DBC was the victim of a cyber fraud which lost the council £25K in January 2023. This seems to be on or around the exact same time as the leader made her public hacking claims.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-borough-council-leader-allegedly-hacked/

It might look to the casual observer that one was rather used to mask the other as nobody appears to have ever made a public statement that £25K was stolen from the ratepayers due to a lack of governance by council workers who appear to have paid a fraudster. Just that the leader was allegedly “hacked” in relation to a claimed meeting. Smoke and mirrors but the auditors conclusions are clear. In January 2023 the council was the victim of a £25K cyber fraud. 

IMG_5468.jpeg

How are you connecting the two other than both happening in January 2023?  In the above the cause is said to be a supplier's emails being compromised allowing a fraudster to impersonate the supplier.  In the Wells email issue, her email appears to have been spoofed. 

Just now, Gladys said:

How are you connecting the two other than both happening in January 2023? 

How are you not connecting the two? You do seem to try hard .. but really. 

7 hours ago, cissolt said:

I hadn't heard the justification before, there are already enough things with Nobles name on so it's fine.   What would she say if we went to her town in South Africa and started removing Nelson Mandelas name from everything? 

I'm aware that I've just compared a wealthy businessman to Nelson Mandela, but it was purely illustrative.

Mandela didn't build or donate anything in South Africa.  You're right though, lots of stuff did get named after him following his release from 20 odd years in Robben Island and him becoming president.  Obviously the abolishment of Apharteid was quite good, but it's been a shitshow there ever since he died. 

A more comparative individual to Noble would be Cecil Rhodes, but he's become a bit controversial recently... 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Mandela didn't build or donate anything in South Africa.  You're right though, lots of stuff did get named after him following his release from 20 odd years in Robben Island and him becoming president.  Obviously the abolishment of Apharteid was quite good, but it's been a shitshow there ever since he died. 

A more comparative individual to Noble would be Cecil Rhodes, but he's become a bit controversial recently... 

I avoided citing Rhodes as a good example

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Bet Noble has some slave money links somewhere! 

During the 18th Century the Isle of Man was involved in the transatlantic African slave trade. Goods from the slave trade were bought and sold on the Isle of Man, and Manx merchants, seamen, and ships were involved in the trade. Bloom Noble wasn’t born until 1816. Most of the IOM slave associations ended with the Act of Revestment in 1765 when the Atholl freeports stopped and the islands ports came under control of UK customs. Basically he was born too late to be associated. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, FANDL said:

During the 18th Century the Isle of Man was involved in the transatlantic African slave trade. Goods from the slave trade were bought and sold on the Isle of Man, and Manx merchants, seamen, and ships were involved in the trade. Bloom Noble wasn’t born until 1816. Most of the IOM slave associations ended with the Act of Revestment in 1765 when the Atholl freeports stopped and the islands ports came under control of UK customs. Basically he was born too late to be associated. 

Must have been the Athols I was thinking of? Once the Woke find out, we're probably going to have to rename Athol St now! 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Must have been the Athols I was thinking of? Once the Woke find out, we're probably going to have to rename Athol St now! 

Somewhat ironically if Bloom Noble had been involved in the slave trade there would probably have been a petition to have his name removed from everything, including the library, by now. 

And I still would not of cared what they called the library, But to me it seem's an excessive price £9,000 for what is basically a strip of vinyl. Design what design it is a municipal service all it needs is 10" high bold lettering or is it £900 for the vinyl and £8,900 for some knob with a pack of crayons.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

And I still would not of cared what they called the library, But to me it seem's an excessive price £9,000 for what is basically a strip of vinyl. Design what design it is a municipal service all it needs is 10" high bold lettering or is it £900 for the vinyl and £8,900 for some knob with a pack of crayons.   

If you look at the existing signage for the library it runs along both sides of the building for several metres. It's in a bad condition with cracks and peeling surfaces. Definitely needs replacing. I hope it will encourage other owners to replace their signs too.