More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

49 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

It still seems an excessive amount to spend on a straightforward replacement job. I do hope tenders were in place.

46 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes, the one in the brown envelope won.

27 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

How much would it have cost for an old-style signwriter, equipped with a paintbrush and a tin of paint, to paint the words "Douglas City Library" ?

If it was just sign writing I’d agree. Problem is, if you actually look at it, the board on which the signage is painted or stuck is rotten. Needs completely replacing. Looks as if they used hardboard and a vinyl sticker originally.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The board they are talking about is part of the building, the signage is just a strip of sticky vinyl these days.

It’ll be a lease with a full repair provision. Institutional terms.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

If it was just sign writing I’d agree. Problem is, if you actually look at it, the board on which the signage is painted or stuck is rotten. Needs completely replacing. Looks as if they used hardboard and a vinyl sticker originally.

Shhh, that'll be discovered as an extra once the old sign is lying in the skip, at which point they'll pay another £15k for a sheet and a half of marine ply.

24 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Last one I knew would be about 39 years ago, his name was Jack and he only had one arm. Did a lot of work on fishing boat names as a bit of vinyl did not cut it in the harsh inviroment. But he was not cheap.

There are still  Jack Hill Heatons about  I am sure the arts council could come up with someone  with the required talent  and a mural perhaps featuring Henry Bloom Noble , but lets be honest the cost is not just the sign, it will be letterheads business cards update for the website , and drinks and buffet for the grand opening  and even the  rubber stamps they use on the books will have to be changed ,

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

The wastage that has occurred dumping all the old stationery etc does not bear thinking about.

Most letterhead is now digital and they will probably update old leaflets etc when they re-order.  Can't imagine it will be a huge cost or waste, but who knows? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

Most letterhead is now digital and they will probably update old leaflets etc when they re-order.  Can't imagine it will be a huge cost or waste, but who knows? 

It won't be and the library team is already delivering a lot of beneficial services on a shoestring budget.

• Haha 1