More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

10 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

You can find this information on their website.

https://www.recyclenow.im/where-does-your-recycling-go/

I am enquiring about an audit (professional) report that sets out how much of what waste material was actually sent and subsequently "made into" something else (or trashed). How do we know if, for example, plastic-mixed bottles that are being sent to West Yorkshire have been turned into "drainage pipes, kitchen bins, more bottles"?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, code99 said:

I am enquiring about an audit (professional) report that sets out how much of what waste material was actually sent and subsequently "made into" something else (or trashed). How do we know if, for example, plastic-mixed bottles that are being sent to West Yorkshire have been turned into "drainage pipes, kitchen bins, more bottles"?

Or even worse. Flat caps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, code99 said:

The website shows that glass is "crushed into sand and used in road building".

Previously a Manx Forumer stated that 5% of glass was recycled and the rest went to landfill.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The website shows that glass is "crushed into sand and used in road building".

Previously a Manx Forumer stated that 5% of glass was recycled and the rest went to landfill.

I can believe that, I was dumping stuff at the point years ago when a "recycling" wagon dumped a full load of bottles before my very eyes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, code99 said:

How does shipping stuff to be recycled everywhere help with net zero? Doesn't the transport and processing add to our C02 output? Or does that get added to England's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

NetZero is an unachievable pipe dream, no amount of advertising spend will change that.

Daphne spends more time opposing solutions than offering any.  The same goes for most of the green group.

Net Zero seems a sensible aim. Part of that should ultimately be charging people for how much household waste they produce - including recycling. How much pointless crap they buy. We've all seen the problem in the queue at the supermarkets - the people whose weekly shop is 90% packaging and plastics.

29 minutes ago, cissolt said:

1. How does shipping stuff to be recycled everywhere help with net zero?

2. Doesn't the transport and processing add to our C02 output?

3. Or does that get added to England's?

Excellent questions.

1. My view is that recycling has very little to do with curbing CO2 emissions, if anything it probably creates emissions. Every time that a truck or a ship or a plane is used to transport refuse from one place to another there are additional CO2 emissions;

2. Yes. Recycling has different environmental goals such as reducing the amount of plastics in the environment, in the land, in the rivers, in the oceans, etc but it is necessary to use energy to achieve these types of green goals;

3. The planet doesn't care where the emissions are credited to...

As far as I can tell, Douglas ratepayers are not being paid for the waste that DBC send to the UK - instead DBC have to pay to send it (I could be wrong about this). 

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/component/docman/doc_download/901-statement-of-accounts-2022?Itemid=

Edited by code99

3 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Net Zero seems a sensible aim. Part of that should ultimately be charging people for how much household waste they produce - including recycling. How much pointless crap they buy. We've all seen the problem in the queue at the supermarkets - the people whose weekly shop is 90% packaging and plastics.

it might be time to start taking tupperwares to tesco and decanting your shopping at the checkout leaving their packaging in store for them to deal with.

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

That’s a problem for the supermarket to sort. Nobody asks for food covered in plastic. It’s not comsumers who should be paying to dispose of it. 

It is when people are buying oven ready meals instead of ingredients. Or huge amounts of glass - eg drink etc. An alternative solution would be to be a big surcharge on the cost of buying food and drink packaging.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, code99 said:

As far as I can tell, Douglas ratepayers are not being paid for the waste that DBC send to the UK - instead DBC have to pay to send it (I could be wrong about this). 

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/component/docman/doc_download/901-statement-of-accounts-2022?Itemid=

An educated guess would be that they are receiving payment for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

At the end of the day it’s manufacturers packaging all this stuff. It’s got little to do with consumers what waste they end up having to deal with. 

Well there you go then. Perfect solution. We agree.

IOM govt should put a surcharge on packaging and use the money towards the cost of rubbish collection. So if you are rich enough to waste money buying an horrible ready pizza in a box then the cost of the recycling is factored into the price. Ditto TVs etc.

29 minutes ago, WTF said:

it might be time to start taking tupperwares to tesco and decanting your shopping at the checkout leaving their packaging in store for them to deal with.

I think Tesco did introduce that, not sure if they are still doing it.

ETA in that you could bring your own container to the fresh produce counters rather than have their plastic bags. 

Edited by Gladys

15 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s the manufacturers it’s got little to do with the consumers buying the stuff that’s already been packaged. 

If people were to be charged, via a govt surcharge, for the cost of disposing of the packaging then there would a strong incentive for them to buy better produce. Nobody needs a pizza in a box on a polystyrene base and wrapped in plastic. It's already a very expensive way of buying invariably nasty pizza. And nobody needs chips in a plastic bag. Or a ready meal.

And why buy beer in bottles when aluminium, which is all recycled, is a much better way of storing beer?

Edited by genericUserName
  • Haha 1