More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

9 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

People choose what to buy. The crappest food comes with the most unnecessary packaging.

I’m not sure that’s true. I bought a nearly £10 free range corn fed chicken the other day ( forgot to look at the price on the label, shocked when I got to the checkout)

Anyway that was wrapped in packaging exactly the same as it’s half price alternative.

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

16695517268212386330062999785947.jpg

Thank you Gladys for sharing the leaflet, but l'm confused by it though. Is it for household recycling or just a demonstration of foreign objects thrown into the sea or the beach. 

On my daily beach walk l and many other dog walker pick up plastics all types, fishing nets, ropes, fish boxes which we daily put in the bins provided or leave next to bins for larger objects. Today l picked up a metal wire half of a pair of sunglasses that had transformed itself into a sharp nasty hook l guess lethal to any wildlife.

And yes most of us pick up our dog poo and place it in provided bins, although l do on occasion have to bin someone else's poo bags that they have left outside the said bins.

I recently had to take my television set to the amenity site which cost me l think it was 26 or 27 pounds, l only took it because the picture had gone otherwise l would have carried on using it,  it was a small 26 inch screen, the operative informed me that everyone pays the same price whatever the size he laughingly said you could have brought a 60 inch plus screen.  It would never have occurred to me to dump it for someone else to pick up the tab, however, l fortunately still have my car and l didn't have to choose between food on the table and disposal of my TV set, but some people may have to make those choices. 

Apologies if l have got this all inside out and have misunderstood the post. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I recently had to take my television set to the amenity site which cost me l think it was 26 or 27 pounds, l only took it because the picture had gone otherwise l would have carried on using it,  it was a small 26 inch screen, the operative informed me that everyone pays the same price whatever the size he laughingly said you could have brought a 60 inch plus screen.  It would never have occurred to me to dump it for someone else to pick up the tab, however, l fortunately still have my car and l didn't have to choose between food on the table and disposal of my TV set, but some people may have to make those choices. 

This is what people forget. If you’re struggling financially why on earth would you have £25 to get rid of a broken telly if you needed that £25 so your kids could eat next week? Let alone perhaps even have a car to take it to the tip in. Which makes this whole issue of lower levels of disposal service seem ridiculous. All we’re going to see is more fly tipping and general public rubbish dispersal. All so that a local authority can pretend to save a few pounds. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Thank you Gladys for sharing the leaflet, but l'm confused by it though. Is it for household recycling or just a demonstration of foreign objects thrown into the sea or the beach. 

On my daily beach walk l and many other dog walker pick up plastics all types, fishing nets, ropes, fish boxes which we daily put in the bins provided or leave next to bins for larger objects. Today l picked up a metal wire half of a pair of sunglasses that had transformed itself into a sharp nasty hook l guess lethal to any wildlife.

And yes most of us pick up our dog poo and place it in provided bins, although l do on occasion have to bin someone else's poo bags that they have left outside the said bins.

No Lilly  I posted pics of the other two pages of the leaflet.  It was about the waste collections.

I used to also take a bag with me when I walked the dogs on the beach (don't walk them on the beaches so much now as they are very elderly)  and there is a surprising amount of stuff on them, a lot of it pretty lethal especially fishing gear.

4 hours ago, code99 said:

It seems to me that without a fully dedicated recycling plant on the Island we are merely engaging in ‘greenwashing’.

I would like the DBC to publish specific information about how their recycling process works, from end to end - how and where the separated recyclable waste generated by and collected from Douglas residents (who are trying to do the right thing by the environment) is subsequently processed - what is the end 'product'? E.g., do all of the different types of plastic objects get separated and are they subsequently 'reused' or are simply burnt or used as landfill. Is any of our 'recycled' rubbish being sent to third world countries?

This explains some of the process. Anything more detailed I would have to ask for info, but I have toured the facilities and seen how they do things. 

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s a problem for the supermarket to sort. Nobody asks for food covered in plastic. It’s not consumers who should be paying to dispose of it. 

No, that's an issue for legislators. We should have explored the option of can and bottle deposits years ago, just like it works in Germany. Same for a ban on unnecessary packaging and plastic carrier bags. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No Lilly  I posted pics of the other two pages of the leaflet.  It was about the waste collections.

I used to also take a bag with me when I walked the dogs on the beach (don't walk them on the beaches so much now as they are very elderly)  and there is a surprising amount of stuff on them, a lot of it pretty lethal especially fishing gear.

Ah, sorry Gladys my mistake regarding leaflet, l will take another look.

Great idea taking a spare reusable bag for rubbish on the beach. I usually end up filling my pockets and struggling to balance larger items until the said bins are in sight.  I would like to add that these bins are emptied every day so actually quite a good service from DBC.

• Like 1

Just now, Lilly said:

Ah, sorry Gladys my mistake regarding leaflet, l will take another look.

Great idea taking a spare reusable bag for rubbish on the beach. I usually end up filling my pockets and struggling to balance larger items until the said bins are in sight.  I would like to add that these bins are emptied every day so actually quite a good service from DBC.

Yes, I have a large supermarket bag for life which I used in the beach. Most beaches have a huge Beach Buddies bin.  There have been one or two occasions when I have dragged a lobster pot or big bit of fishing net to the bin.  The dogs were useless! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Charging £26 to throw a TV away is literally crackers when many can’t afford to heat their homes or buy food. No wonder they end up in peoples bins. 

Last time I got rid of a TV they made you pay by debit card as well as they don’t let the amenity site guys take cash. I assume fraud risk. So how is that helping struggling families to get rid of their waste? Having to pay £25 from your debit card you also need for the weekly shop. 

• Like 1

Well I'm pleased to see that Facebook page has copied one of my MF posts and called for people to email me. Always happy to receive emails. So far, none from there though. Also not much engagement on that page itself it seems - just posts by one or two guys and most have comments turned off. Noticed that when I wanted to reply to one. Maybe for the better, as nothing good ever comes from arguing on Facebook. Also, do people not consider how it looks when you call someone an asshole while publicly posting under your real name for all to see? Jeez, at least register here and do it anonymously. 

Jokes aside, we have a meeting about something else at town hall tomorrow and I'll try and find out what the internal story and plan with all this is now. Had a look around some of the roads nearby here that are due for collection tomorrow and it didn't look too bad. Full bins, yes, anarchy no. If someone genuinely thinks they will have issues (big family, etc) get in touch and it will be reviewed on a case by case basis. That was always part of the rollout. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steady Eddie said:

Last time I got rid of a TV they made you pay by debit card as well as they don’t let the amenity site guys take cash. I assume fraud risk. So how is that helping struggling families to get rid of their waste? Having to pay £25 from your debit card you also need for the weekly shop. 

Don't TV places take the old one back when you buy a new one? I'm sure Colebourn offered it last time I asked. 

Just now, Amadeus said:

Don't TV places take the old one back when you buy a new one? I'm sure Colebourn offered it last time I asked. 

No they usually charge a disposal fee to take it away. I had a new washing machine the other month and the charge was £35 to take the old one away as they still get charged to take them to the tip. I doubt there’s £35 of profit in most white goods for the retailer. Same with TVs. Plus if you can only afford to replace second hand from Facebook buy & sell it’s immaterial anyway.

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Ah well that's what they all advertise,  however, on purchasing my new telly from Curry's a big notice on the till stating they can no longer accept free disposal of TVs etc. Despite this nside the box of my new telly was a slip informing of this service!. Not sure about Colebourn ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1