More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

57 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Given this only started three weeks ago, can you confirm/document  the “to wait months”. 

I rang on 14/11, chased 21/11 ( by phone & e-mail ) and they came to see me on 24/11. I’ve been away for the weekend. The new larger 360l bin has arrived whilst I was away.

This didn't start 3 weeks ago , they been in contact far before that when it was first announced, They phoned again yesterday and was told there's a wait to be seen . As I've said previous they've 7 kids 2 adults in the house , not entirely convinced they need someone to assess that for two bins . Common sense needs to prevail . Let people have two bins , it would cost no extra to Douglas Council and proves its purely for green issues if they don't compromise not financial.  They could make everyone happy doing this whilst keeping their fortnightly bin pick ups to save face 

I see that facebook page has taken a liking to me and obviously reads MF. The main person behind it is clearly very passionate about his cause. I think one mistake they make is to think that the feedback they receive within the echo chamber of social media is fully representative of the outside world and the island - or Douglas - as a whole. It isn't. I have made that mistake in the past myself, thinking that what I saw on MF / FB / TW was what everyone really thought on the doorstep and experience shows that largely not to be the case. No doubt they will again see that comment as me trying to put down their group and once again point out that they have 700 members, etc, but that is not the intention. I am just pointing out what I have learned over the years.

700 members is about 2.3% of the Douglas population and that's assuming all members are from Douglas. The most popular post I could see while scanning over it had about 50 likes (0.17% of the city's population) and the most comments on a single post was about 30 (0.1% of the city's population). That's not to say their concerns don't matter. They do. Just trying to put things a little into perspective. The organiser has already shared my email address in the group which is great as it means people who have concerns can get in touch. I have not received any emails about this issue since. None. No doubt I will again be accused of lying about this but it's the truth, even if it isn't the one you hoped for. 

31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

@Manxieover65 there are rules on here, that you signed up to fairly recently. You’re entitled to your opinions and say, but not to express them here if they’re racist or abusive. You’re very close to crossing the line.

Moderating team.

In what way have I been racist ? I'm intrigued ? 🤔  basically just another blatant protection of certain individuals who make videos that offend manx people but that's perfectly fine . He works for his city so as such should be accountable. I'll quietly back out at this point. But to the people saying it's only a handful , we will see about this , and I'm pretty sure 4 MHKs are not now involved because of a handful of people and if Frank and his mates think it's going away it isn't.  Abit of compromise goes a long way . Wait until Christmas,  people already posting pictures of rats and mice . It probably has gone to far but when young children's health is at risk for the sake of letting people use a second bin just to force green ways on us which won't work , Im pretty passionate . 😉  so I'll apologise for being In anyway abusive but I certainly wasn't racist at any point.  

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

I see that facebook page has taken a liking to me and obviously reads MF. The main person behind it is clearly very passionate about his cause. I think one mistake they make is to think that the feedback they receive within the echo chamber of social media is fully representative of the outside world and the island - or Douglas - as a whole. It isn't. I have made that mistake in the past myself, thinking that what I saw on MF / FB / TW was what everyone really thought on the doorstep and experience shows that largely not to be the case. No doubt they will again see that comment as me trying to put down their group and once again point out that they have 700 members, etc, but that is not the intention. I am just pointing out what I have learned over the years.

700 members is about 2.3% of the Douglas population and that's assuming all members are from Douglas. The most popular post I could see while scanning over it had about 50 likes (0.17% of the city's population) and the most comments on a single post was about 30 (0.1% of the city's population). That's not to say their concerns don't matter. They do. Just trying to put things a little into perspective. The organiser has already shared my email address in the group which is great as it means people who have concerns can get in touch. I have not received any emails about this issue since. None. No doubt I will again be accused of lying about this but it's the truth, even if it isn't the one you hoped for. 

Exactly. Polite and considered face to face communication always wins the day. I live in bandit territory (Bride) so don’t have first hand experience here but a few of my mates live in the middle of Douglas. They had to make a few changes but nothing that couldn’t be sorted. Most of my work colleagues are in favour of it too. The comma could have been better though, but nothings ever perfect!

Just now, Satan666 said:

Exactly. Polite and considered face to face communication always wins the day. I live in bandit territory (Bride) so don’t have first hand experience here

😂 So how polite is the below  in context? And how do you know about the forthcoming (not publicly announced yet) public council meeting about this that you mention above if you live in Bride? 

EA99E263-2900-4B79-BBE9-21FB9DEC8A44.jpeg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

2.3% of the douglas population, that's probably more than total votes polled for the whole council. 

A quick google search would have shown you that's not the case.  http://www.douglas.im/index.php/component/k2/item/2694#.Y4UR33bP1PY

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The post is clear and unambiguous perhaps you should be a bit less touchy? 

It gets weirder by the minute 😉

Edited by Guest
Bloody autocorrect

Perhaps I can make a contribution towards the discussions of  frequency of rubbish collections within the Douglas Borough Council area?

Although I live in Ramsey and some may say therefore I have no skin in the game I am sure Councils and Commissioners throughout the Island monitor the policies of the other and see if they can apply them there ( God forbid)

We are a household of two and some years ago had our green refuse bin replaced by a smaller capacity ( not sure by how much) blue one.

We have weekly collections. By the time of the collection our bill is usually 80-85% full. And the bin men/ refuse collectors are very good at emptying the bin.

Between collections I probably make one trip to the recycle, re use, rubbish facility a mile or two up the road, usually combining with a trip to the supermarket. Staff at the facility are ace and depending on when you go there is no significant queue.

However if our household consisted of more than two people we would have a problem getting all the weekly waste generated into the household bin. Certainly if collection went to fortnightly it would be impossible. And I would feel very pissed of about it. ( But wouldn’t even think to mention the nationality of any of the Commissioners into it)

Just thought I would give another view from another district for comparison.

• Like 1