More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Why are there sooo many parishes / local authorities? With the obvious budgeting costs everyone is facing, why doesn’t our government reduce these areas? It’s ridiculous when you compare the areas covered to those, say of the UK. Maybe too the islands waste services should be centralized to give a more cohesive service, less vehicles in the road, from around 35 down to 15 i guesstimate, reducing fuel and cutting emissions in the process. It’s all very well MHK Ashford writing to the council but there should be a light bulb appearing in that well insulated head of his that says …. Hmmm maybe the government needs to actually do something here and take charge.

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I see that facebook page has taken a liking to me and obviously reads MF. The main person behind it is clearly very passionate about his cause. I think one mistake they make is to think that the feedback they receive within the echo chamber of social media is fully representative of the outside world and the island - or Douglas - as a whole. It isn't. I have made that mistake in the past myself, thinking that what I saw on MF / FB / TW was what everyone really thought on the doorstep and experience shows that largely not to be the case. No doubt they will again see that comment as me trying to put down their group and once again point out that they have 700 members, etc, but that is not the intention. I am just pointing out what I have learned over the years.

700 members is about 2.3% of the Douglas population and that's assuming all members are from Douglas. The most popular post I could see while scanning over it had about 50 likes (0.17% of the city's population) and the most comments on a single post was about 30 (0.1% of the city's population). That's not to say their concerns don't matter. They do. Just trying to put things a little into perspective. The organiser has already shared my email address in the group which is great as it means people who have concerns can get in touch. I have not received any emails about this issue since. None. No doubt I will again be accused of lying about this but it's the truth, even if it isn't the one you hoped for. 

How many members does the "I think DBC have handled the refuse collection issue really well" group have in comparison?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satan666 said:

Why are there sooo many parishes / local authorities? With the obvious budgeting costs everyone is facing, why doesn’t our government reduce these areas?

We would invariably all end up paying the currently highest rates rather than the currently lowest rates.

It was demonstrated many years ago in Japan that small and more local is often optimal when it comes to budgeting.

1 minute ago, genericUserName said:

We would invariably all end up paying the currently highest rates rather than the currently lowest rates.

It was demonstrated many years ago in Japan that small and more local is often optimal when it comes to budgeting.

Fair point. I just think there’s no joined up thinking at all - as if everyone, gov included, is doing their own thing

24 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Heard that an apartment block close to Manx Radio and one at the former Crescent Leisure Centre are not on a fortnightly collection 

I think that’s fair enough. Flats need to be treated differently, how much green waste would they have been putting into general waste anyway? 

30 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Heard that an apartment block close to Manx Radio and one at the former Crescent Leisure Centre are not on a fortnightly collection 

You may have heard wrong there. 

43 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Perhaps I can make a contribution towards the discussions of  frequency of rubbish collections within the Douglas Borough Council area?

Although I live in Ramsey and some may say therefore I have no skin in the game I am sure Councils and Commissioners throughout the Island monitor the policies of the other and see if they can apply them there ( God forbid)

We are a household of two and some years ago had our green refuse bin replaced by a smaller capacity ( not sure by how much) blue one.

We have weekly collections. By the time of the collection our bill is usually 80-85% full. And the bin men/ refuse collectors are very good at emptying the bin.

Between collections I probably make one trip to the recycle, re use, rubbish facility a mile or two up the road, usually combining with a trip to the supermarket. Staff at the facility are ace and depending on when you go there is no significant queue.

However if our household consisted of more than two people we would have a problem getting all the weekly waste generated into the household bin. Certainly if collection went to fortnightly it would be impossible. And I would feel very pissed of about it. ( But wouldn’t even think to mention the nationality of any of the Commissioners into it)

Just thought I would give another view from another district for comparison.

Yes , I was wrong bringing nationality into it , but wasn't meant in anyway derogation,  more so pointing out where the ideas may have came from . But the upset and struggle this is causing my large family , going from 8 bins a month to 2 is breaking me . I don't want ny children brought up in filth 

45 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Perhaps I can make a contribution towards the discussions of  frequency of rubbish collections within the Douglas Borough Council area?

Although I live in Ramsey and some may say therefore I have no skin in the game I am sure Councils and Commissioners throughout the Island monitor the policies of the other and see if they can apply them there ( God forbid)

We are a household of two and some years ago had our green refuse bin replaced by a smaller capacity ( not sure by how much) blue one.

We have weekly collections. By the time of the collection our bill is usually 80-85% full. And the bin men/ refuse collectors are very good at emptying the bin.

Between collections I probably make one trip to the recycle, re use, rubbish facility a mile or two up the road, usually combining with a trip to the supermarket. Staff at the facility are ace and depending on when you go there is no significant queue.

However if our household consisted of more than two people we would have a problem getting all the weekly waste generated into the household bin. Certainly if collection went to fortnightly it would be impossible. And I would feel very pissed of about it. ( But wouldn’t even think to mention the nationality of any of the Commissioners into it)

Just thought I would give another view from another district for comparison.

Yeah your right I shouldn't of , but I was only truly pointing out where to idea may have came from . The fact my family,  child and grandchildren have gone from 8 bins a month to 2 is truly upsetting me and causing a lot of stress . The ring douglas council just isn't true . I've phoned and been told it's a big list of visits . I've also been in contact with Falk and he's never got back to me after saying he would . Having 7 children and 2 adults in a house really doesn't need to be assessed, with common sense it should be obvious two bins at least are necessary.  No ones asking for much , just compromise 

What I don’t understand is that, if only a handful of Douglas residents complain, and the overwhelming majority are happy with the new bin collection regime, then it is even more bewildering as to why DBC would not just provide a couple of extra bins to those few people who ask, without having an ugly spat on social media and causing unnecessary aggravation by sending a ‘bin inquisition’ to homes (this is clearly very upsetting to some vulnerable residents) ?

Looking at DBC Accounts it is difficult to figure out whether DBC are making money out of their recycling scheme or losing money hand over fist. Personally, I would be happy to pay extra charges for extra bins but I am not convinced that most of the recycling material that the residents dutifully put out for recycling actually does get recycled and converted into new products. I know the DBC website says so, but I am a great believer in the old adage “Trust but Verify” – where is an official audit report of what is actually happening? E.g., somebody posted that only about 5% of recyclable glass gets recycled, which is obviously disappointing if it’s true. I have watched enough reputable TV programmes to know that some of the recycling schemes in the UK are little more than scams; e.g., stuff designated for recycling ends up being washed up on the beach in some poor country.

As has already been pointed out, recycling itself is not an energy reduction exercise i.e., doing this does not reduce harmful CO2 emissions, it increases them. The far more effective way of reducing/ eliminating rubbish is to radically reduce the consumption of plastics and similar materials and use biodegradable environment-friendly materials in everyday life – this will require a more joined up approach across governments and shops/ private enterprise.

Edited by code99
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Stop buying so much packaging. Raw ingredients have almost zero packaging.

Let's hope they can gradually move to once a month over time.

That’s OK if all you buy is raw ingredients. Not many do It’s not practical.

So given that have you ever tried to buy unpackaged yoghurt? It’s not freely available in Ramsey

I think most people would be happy to loose unessential packaging. You need to target the sellers not the likes of me.

Lets hope they stick to weekly collections. It seems to work.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

If you let me have your address I’m quite happy to drop my packaging at your front door ( and that includes my dogs poo which I pick up from the garden and put in our refuse bin. I’m afraid that doesn’t come out packaged)

You can get miniature septic tanks for that now. Ideal for people with gardens.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dooley-3000-Septic-Tank-Style-Pet-Waste-Disposal/dp/B0002DI35E/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24XXPQLNDEKTJ&keywords=doggie+dooley&qid=1669673008&sprefix=doggie+dool%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-1