More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Just returned from moving my bin to the end of the lane, full, of two weeks rubbish with the lid unable to be fully closed. Other bins are gathered around in a worse state, with bags spilling out, ready for the morning seagulls. The smell is horrendous, bound to attract the rats and other vermin. Usually there are not as many bins in the club so I assume that a few may manage comfortably on a two week cycle, I normally could but I missed the last collection as I got out of step with the schedule.

• Sad 1

Four of us including a toddler in nappies. Haven’t had a problem with fortnightly  and one bin but have got space outside for four recycling boxes which get used much more. Spend more time separating stuff than I used to esp. plastic and boxes. Not a problem.

• Like 3

The reality is that the island needs centralised refuse collection and recycling. There should be scale savings for both, in terms of equipment, staffing, admin, sale on of recyclables.

I could manage with one standard bin a fortnight if we had sensible recycling collection facilities.

The 360l bigger bin helps me, but, I can’t move it to the bottom of the drive, so the collectors have to pick it up from and return it to the door. Takes longer. 2 x 240l I can get to the bottom of the drive and bring back.

Yes, I’ve got a drive. I could store a paper/card bin, a metal bin, a plastics bin, a glass bin.

For people who haven’t got drives or storage areas, terraced streets, etc, then it’s on street centralised recycling receptacles for every 50-100 homes.

Ive no objection to rinsing out bottles and plastic tubs, or pre sorting. I already do it in Spain and Bulgaria. We have colour coded bins in the kitchen. We compost anything we can. We’ve also got a kitchen sink waste disposal unit for non compostable food waste and I mix in shredded office paper waste with the compost. Get a really good mulch.

I suspect that such a system, with sorting and cleaning centrally would be better from an economic point of view especially for selling on. Selling on will inevitably be off island.

• Like 1

I don’t know what the cost of recycling across the island is…the full cost. Does anyone. It should obviously be centralised. It might also prove most cost effective just to burn it all in the incinerator depending on prices at the time. 

but once you’ve done that what else would get centralised? Housing? Again, clearly it should be centralised with an all island rate and those in more rural areas with fewer services having a discount. 

26 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

I don’t know what the cost of recycling across the island is…the full cost. Does anyone. It should obviously be centralised. It might also prove most cost effective just to burn it all in the incinerator depending on prices at the time. 

but once you’ve done that what else would get centralised? Housing? Again, clearly it should be centralised with an all island rate and those in more rural areas with fewer services having a discount. 

Everything should be centralized but too many vested interests for this to happen 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They don’t recycle though. They just store it all in a shed and then sell it when it’s worth something. The whole thing is a big con trick on the ratepayers and is simply about gate fees at the incinerator and nothing else. 

https://giphy.com/gifs/facepalm-mega-27EhcDHnlkw1O

21 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Explain what you claim you do then? 

You’ve made up your mind on what’s going on and nothing I can say will change your thinking so I won’t waste any more time feeding your negativity. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Oh, come on. We don’t have paper, card, plastic, glass, or metal manufacturing on Island. What else are they to do? Surely it’s better, even if there’s a cost, to gather together, wait until you’ve got enough to fill a container and export/sell off for recycling. Burning it is hardly environmentally friendly, is it?

We either support recycling, or we don’t. I support. We really have to stop this “we are a small island, the climate crisis, waste of resources, renewables etc, doesn’t/can’t  apply to us “ attitude.

Dirty Mann of Europe or environmental achiever?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Oh, come on. We don’t have paper, card, plastic, glass, or metal manufacturing on Island. What else are they to do? Surely it’s better, even if there’s a cost, to gather together, wait until you’ve got enough to fill a container and export/sell off for recycling. Burning it is hardly environmentally friendly, is it?

We either support recycling, or we don’t. I support. We really have to stop this “we are a small island, the climate crisis, waste of resources, renewables etc, doesn’t/can’t  apply to us “ attitude.

Dirty Mann of Europe or environmental achiever?

It isn't difficult.

A friend of mine pays a tenner a month to RecycleCollect.im, gets 3 or 4 recycling boxes and main bin usage has fallen dramatically. Young kids love the fun of putting stuff in the right boxes.

Oh, and look what happens with it.. this is a small enterprise charging houses a tenner a month. No doubt considerably more effective on a larger scale.

locations.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

He has been asked numerous times but just ignored it. I am sure its not as bad as people but say but would love to know the answer. If I can be reassured that stuff is actually recycled I will start to make more effort with paper, card and plastic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

It isn't difficult.

A friend of mine pays a tenner a month to RecycleCollect.im, gets 3 or 4 recycling boxes and main bin usage has fallen dramatically. Young kids love the fun of putting stuff in the right boxes.

Oh, and look what happens with it.. this is a small enterprise charging houses a tenner a month. No doubt considerably more effective on a larger scale.

locations.png

And this is what government should be doing, for everyone, on the rates. And if they award the contract to a private operator, I’ve no problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And this is what government should be doing, for everyone, on the rates. And if they award the contract to a private operator, I’ve no problem.

I don't know how many houses there are on the Island. But it doesn't seem particularly expensive and as I say, that's on a small scale right now.

If they awarded e.g. RecycleCollect a contract to give everyone recycling boxes.. the scale must bring prices down at a guess.

I still don't understand why we need so many local authorities with their own refuse policies and teams. Centralise the damn lot.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

I know exactly what they do John, as do you, but Amadeus has been asked several times to set it out and all he does is come back with sarcastic comments. It goes into a big shed then they sell it. That’s the sum total of their recycling activity. We even clean and prepare the items they sell for them. 

I find I get more for Mrs NoTailT's used knickers on ebay than DBC will ever get for them.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I know exactly what they do John, as do you, but Amadeus has been asked several times to set it out and all he does is come back with sarcastic comments. It goes into a big shed then they sell it. That’s the sum total of their recycling activity. We even clean and prepare the items they sell for them. 

Just for clarity.

1. you do/don’t object to aggregation into sufficient quantities for onward sale?  If you do object what is your solution?

2. what’s your objection to cleaning/sorting? Didn’t your mum rinse the milk bottles? It’s no different.

3. Is your objection that Frank isn’t on here 24/7 answering the stupid queries of offensive idiots. I think he seems to be doing a pretty good job of trying to get answers. It’s a policy that seems to have been agreed before he arrived as a councillor. He’s unpaid in that role, has a ( new ) full time job, and the Corpie has had decades of non accountability.

On that last point, everyone employed in a managerial position by the Corpie ought to be named in a structure flow chart, with job title, line and departmental manager, direct departmental phone number, direct e-mail, plus salary scale. The opaqueness and lack of identifiablity adds to the lack of accountability. The Douglas website is a disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2