More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

DBC has announced that “in the very short time since the service change was introduced, the Council’s recycling rate has increased from its static 5%-6% to just over 15%” - three times as much as previously. Given that DBC are the ‘re-sellers’ of recyclable material to ‘the highest bidder’, presumably they now have enough demand (and storage capacity) and are financially benefitting handsomely from this extraordinary bonanza.

Reportedly, most flatting blocks still have the ongoing issues with the lack of bin capacity, including few recycling bins. Therefore, the flats’ occupants would have been unlikely to have significantly increased their recycling amounts. If hardly any of the additional recycling came from them, then it must come from ‘non-flats’; i.e., houses and also perhaps some commercial premises. If the overall 10% jump (from 5% to 15%) is coming from say half the overall premises, then on average the ‘recycling’ properties must have therefore increased the amount of rubbish they recycled by 20%. An increase of this magnitude, in less than a couple of months, seems incredible to me. I can’t imagine how much more it can go up from here and how sustainable such a high increase will be without further drastic changes.

I would welcome much more transparency as to how DBC derived their figure of 15%.

55 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I think there may have been some confusion because they put the emphasis on the new green waste collection rather than the fortnightly grey household bins.

There were always going to be teething problems with apartments and these will require individual solutions.

I dunno! When those little potted cacti die off they might be glad of the green bins

Spike The Cactus | Make Your Own Clay Cactus Pot

3 hours ago, code99 said:

DBC has announced that “in the very short time since the service change was introduced, the Council’s recycling rate has increased from its static 5%-6% to just over 15%” - three times as much as previously. Given that DBC are the ‘re-sellers’ of recyclable material to ‘the highest bidder’, presumably they now have enough demand (and storage capacity) and are financially benefitting handsomely from this extraordinary bonanza.

Reportedly, most flatting blocks still have the ongoing issues with the lack of bin capacity, including few recycling bins. Therefore, the flats’ occupants would have been unlikely to have significantly increased their recycling amounts. If hardly any of the additional recycling came from them, then it must come from ‘non-flats’; i.e., houses and also perhaps some commercial premises. If the overall 10% jump (from 5% to 15%) is coming from say half the overall premises, then on average the ‘recycling’ properties must have therefore increased the amount of rubbish they recycled by 20%. An increase of this magnitude, in less than a couple of months, seems incredible to me. I can’t imagine how much more it can go up from here and how sustainable such a high increase will be without further drastic changes.

I would welcome much more transparency as to how DBC derived their figure of 15%.

Still a long way to go. Wales recycles over 50%.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Still a long way to go. Wales recycles over 50%.

And the EU "unveils plans...with push towards reuse over recycling...we want more packaging to be reusable, because we cannot recycle ourselves out of a growing stream of waste".

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/30/eu-unveils-plans-to-cut-europes-plastic-and-packaging-waste  

• Like 1

Hey, has anyone noticed Councillor Pitts recently? He’s been commenting saying that this bi weekly collection is not what he supports… he’s said as much to David Ashford on FB …BUT…. the silly sausage actually voted in favour of this!!! I think he’s losing the plot and possibly unfit to serve. 

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

I wasn’t invited. But I saw it and chose to respond.

The protests - I put it down to a general dislike of change, people will get used to it, things will calm down. That’s why I suggest to give it 6 months.

The problem seems to indicate what I’ve observed for decades. People sleepwalking through life, not paying attention, not being interested in things that affect them, because it’s irrelevant, boring, politics, not my thing. Until it is relevant and does affect.

Its a bit like the increased pension age and equalisation. All the people saying they didn’t know. I knew. The message was repeated. News paper headlines, long discussions on BBC R4.

But Im odd. I listen to R4 every morning, 6-8am, read a broadsheet daily, read all 3 Manx papers, plus social media news feeds.

And would it be your opinion that the sleepwalkers should listen to the (frankly dreadful) Today programme, read the Graun, the local rags and follow social media in order to become aware of decisions taken that will adversely affect them?

Has democracy been reduced to trying to diligently detect when your representatives are trying to act against your will based on manifesto promises that were never made? 

4 hours ago, Viddy well said:

And would it be your opinion that the sleepwalkers should listen to the (frankly dreadful) Today programme, read the Graun, the local rags and follow social media in order to become aware of decisions taken that will adversely affect them?

Has democracy been reduced to trying to diligently detect when your representatives are trying to act against your will based on manifesto promises that were never made? 

In a democracy you have a choice of media and a choice whether or not to access the media. My personal view is you’ve a duty to keep yourself informed, but it’s a choice. 

If you choose not to then you shouldn’t expect to be spoon fed, or complain when it comes back and bites you.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

In a democracy you have a choice of media and a choice whether or not to access the media. My personal view is you’ve a duty to keep yourself informed, but it’s a choice. 

If you choose not to then you shouldn’t expect to be spoon fed, or complain when it comes back and bites you.

I'm ok with the first paragraph. Correct. But any organisation that provides a service that you pay for could be reasonably expected to do the same in return in terms of giving information. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm ok with the first paragraph. Correct. But any organisation that provides a service that you pay for could be reasonably expected to do the same in return in terms of giving information. 

It did. This is a clear case of taking horses to water but not being able to make them drink.