More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

4 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Where did I say its a problem? I was asking why. Guy Fawkes or bonfire night is the 5th November. There's even a rhyme about it, it's quite well known.

Why not? 

The rhyme doesn’t mention bonfire night or fireworks. It doesn’t even mention Guy Fawkes.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well as Gef says, they've just appointed "a new Data Protection Officer".  Presumably to protect the data from the public.  Can't have the plebs finding out what's going on.

I was chatting to the owner of a business in Strand Street with CCTV near to 1886 a couple of days ago and they had been pursued by a Data Protection Officer for them to register for GDPR and pay a £70 registration fee for the pleasure of having cameras to protect their business.  He regularly provides the police with footage from his cameras when they are investigating some faracas outside 1886.  Not anymore. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I was chatting to the owner of a business in Strand Street with CCTV near to 1886 a couple of days ago and they had been pursued by a Data Protection Officer for them to register for GDPR and pay a £70 registration fee for the pleasure of having cameras to protect their business.  He regularly provides the police with footage from his cameras when they are investigating some faracas outside 1886.  Not anymore. 

Why not just register, as they likely should be anyway?

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

This, is something that we could really do without!  Like the Performing Rights guy plaguing everywhere that provides a radio for their staff to listen to!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

They are processing and storing data. Not only that it’s biometric data. They should be notified and registered.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Why not just register, as they likely should be anyway?

Correct.  The same as anyone with CCTV or a video doorbell that records sound or pictures from past their boundary (which is most of them)

DBC do have a very expensive CCTV system and control suite though that should negate the need to have to use footage from other peoples cameras (which are probably better)

21 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Potential derail if I have to register for data protection because of my ring doorbell , which I have, do people with dash cams have to register as well?

If the ring or CCTV captures video images outside your boundary, and if it’s capable of capturing biometric data, ie capable of identifying someone, there should be a notice.

Dash cams probably not. They’re continually overwritten within short time and record scenery roads and car number plates. But if you regularly download and store yes, probably, and have a retention and destruction policy

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If the ring or CCTV captures video images outside your boundary, and if it’s capable of capturing biometric data, ie capable of identifying someone, there should be a notice.

Dash cams probably not. They’re continually overwritten within short time and record scenery roads and car number plates. But if you regularly download and store yes, probably, and have a retention and destruction policy

Yes I have a notice up, as everyone should.

I would estimate less than ten percent of the people I mention it to who actually have a video doorbell or CCTV were aware they should be registered.

Data protection rules relating to CCTV does have an upside.

You can stick up signs saying you have cameras and keep 99% of the scum away when all you actually have is a few signs saying you have CCTV 

It actually works as long as you have a few "Amazon Warehouse" returns cctv cameras for next to nothing that are faulty.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

There was a fuss in the British press in recent times involving Amazon, police forces, and doorbell video cameras (and probably data protection). That is the extent of my recollection.  You all can Google as well as I can.

Despite all that it’s always the police appealing for doorbell footage when they need evidence to go for someone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

They are processing and storing data. Not only that it’s biometric data. They should be notified and registered.

Hmmm, the police rely on home security cameras in many cases, to track the whereabouts of criminals and missing persons passing by houses. One that springs to mind is the shooting of the nine year old in Liverpool. If everyone had to pay £70 to register annually, I could see an unwillingness to get involved? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Hmmm, the police rely on home security cameras in many cases, to track the whereabouts of criminals and missing persons passing by houses. One that springs to mind is the shooting of the nine year old in Liverpool. If everyone had to pay £70 to register annually, I could see an unwillingness to get involved? 

We live in a surveillance society now and all that data is being fed back to the Amazon Cloud to build up an even bigger profile of you as an Amazon ‘user’. The guy who developed Ring did it in his garage and then sold out to Amazon for $1BN. 

20 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't think that's a good argument against being able to enforce data protection though? I would prefer if random people weren't allowed to store data on me indefinitely.