More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

What? I’m just telling you how things work from experience. As mentioned before, there’s a big difference between the social media echo chamber and real life. If nobody turns up it certainly won’t be out of fear of retaliation. That’s one of the weirdest things I’ve heard. What do you think I’m gonna do? Remember their names and secretly tip their bin over in the middle of the night? You’re making the common mistake of reading too much into things. 

You're flogging a dead horse here mate...

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Will there be a warm up act?

Somebody balancing a spoon on their nose perhaps?

Ashie the Memory Man, with his encyclopaedia of knowledge built up during his lifetime in politics. Ask him a question and he will astound you with his answer.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Ashie the Memory Man, with his encyclopaedia of knowledge built up during his lifetime in politics. Ask him a question and he will astound you with his answer.

Possibly, or maybe they’ll be a quiz of guess the fake FB account person called Alex Christian. He’s an interesting guy… correct in most of what he says though

On 12/6/2022 at 9:03 AM, offshoremanxman said:

Nobody will ever change policies in there. You get the sense that even people like Watson are frustrated with the lack of openness and general inertia. Most normal people used to private sector decision making would probably deck some of the clowns in there within a week of having to deal with them. 

Think you’re right. Also know via a friend of a friend that some officers there who’ve come from the private sector within the last few years are also disillusioned with the lack of progress and accountability 

13 hours ago, Amadeus said:

What? I’m just telling you how things work from experience. As mentioned before, there’s a big difference between the social media echo chamber and real life. If nobody turns up it certainly won’t be out of fear of retaliation. That’s one of the weirdest things I’ve heard. What do you think I’m gonna do? Remember their names and secretly tip their bin over in the middle of the night? You’re making the common mistake of reading too much into things. 

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that you'd retaliate (I'm amused that you thought I meant you personally), but rather DBC (which has after all undertaken to individually examine the circumstances of up to 30,000 Douglas citizens in order to award exemption stickers on individual households' bins). It's plausible to assume that DBC is small-minded enough to label certain constituents as vexatious or trouble-makers, or dismiss them as merely "philosophically motivated" dinosaurs.

Here's a question - what do you think has prompted 600+ people to express dissatisfaction with DBC's policy on fortnightly bin collections? When was the last time that happened (hint - the casual eradication of a decades-old Elm tree tunnel)? Don't you not think that at least something must be faintly wrong when so many people take to social media?

Or are they all "Manx crabs" and just in it for the craic, in which case whence such unity?

Edited by Viddy well
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Viddy well said:

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that you'd retaliate (I'm amused that you thought I meant you personally), but rather DBC (which has after all undertaken to individually examine the circumstances of up to 30,000 Douglas citizens in order to award exemption stickers on individual households' bins). It's plausible to assume that DBC is small-minded enough to label certain constituents as vexatious or trouble-makers, or dismiss them as merely "philosophically motivated" dinosaurs.

Here's a question - what do you think has prompted 600+ people to express dissatisfaction with DBC's policy on fortnightly bin collections? When was the last time that happened (hint - the casual eradication of a decades-old Elm tree tunnel)? Don't you not think that at least something must be faintly wrong when so many people take to social media?

Or are they all "Manx crabs" and just in it for the craic, in which case whence such unity?

It’s not at all plausible to assume that and I find the mere suggestion wrong and out of order. As for the rest, we’ve been over that. Member numbers aren’t the whole picture. Engagement is low and social media is not a true representation of things on the ground. That’s not to say there aren’t cases where a review and help is required but it’s not on the scale people make it out to be. Again: many LAs already do this. It’s nothing new.