More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

18 minutes ago, Omobono said:

its no a good venue at 6pm  will be tight for parking  ,the council could have chosen  a lot more  convenient  location  of course the city fathers attending ,have their free  parking spaces alongside the town hall ,

Is the parking on the old bus station site not available? What’s the charge? Or the old Covid checkpoint car park ( Parade St East )? Or The Tongue? Aren’t they closer than the town hall? And only £2-£2.50 between 6pm and 8am?

Do councillors get free parking alongside the town hall? If so where? How close is that?

Edited by John Wright
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

There will be a good number of people there. It seems like DBC would like to write it off as social media moaners when really there are quite a good number of people who aren’t happy. 

It's a non issue for most normals. 2 collection per month should be more than enough. Compact the contents of your bin and buy less packaging.

Just now, Two-lane said:

You will increase the weight of the bin - result, more complex monitoring systems:

https://www.wiswm.com/wheelie-bin-weighing/

Councils will need more complex ways of assessing how much waste packaging the profligate are buying and then throwing away so that they can be charged for it. People should pay their way.

Obviously there needs to be a way of weighing the bins on average and over time. Since that reduces the chances of people fly tipping.

And the bins will need to be lockable.

All bin waggons are all ready fitted with expensive bin weighing systems, hence them having to be checked for calibration by the islands weight and measures. Each bin is fitted with a chip(big lump of plastic non of your farty phone things) that it reads so as to tell who/where to bill, not in use for domestic yet but used for commercial outlets. I can only think the rates outweigh what they can get away with charging per kilo, not long till the cross over point methinks.

6 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Councils will need more complex ways of assessing how much waste packaging the profligate are buying and then throwing away so that they can be charged for it. People should pay their way.

Obviously there needs to be a way of weighing the bins on average and over time. Since that reduces the chances of people fly tipping.

And the bins will need to be lockable.

https://www.gov.im/media/1362121/2018-approved-waste-strategy.pdf

This is part of the problem.

A vague document with no targets and no clear direction about what should be collected and recycled by local authorities. So some do nothing.

1 minute ago, Dirty Buggane said:

All bin waggons are all ready fitted with expensive bin weighing systems, hence them having to be checked for calibration by the islands weight and measures. Each bin is fitted with a chip(big lump of plastic non of your farty phone things) that it reads so as to tell who/where to bill, not in use for domestic yet but used for commercial outlets. I can only think the rates outweigh what they can get away with charging per kilo, not long till the cross over point methinks.

There would be a clear incentive for fly tipping if each bin was weighed and then charged. Much better to average the charge over a much longer cycle. The bins would also need to be lockable in order to stop people dumping their stuff in other people's.

Ultimately all packaging should trace to a sale. Relatively easy to do even ahead of cash being phased out. Some already does. But one step at a time.

26 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

There would be a clear incentive for fly tipping if each bin was weighed and then charged. Much better to average the charge over a much longer cycle. The bins would also need to be lockable in order to stop people dumping their stuff in other people's.

Ultimately all packaging should trace to a sale. Relatively easy to do even ahead of cash being phased out. Some already does. But one step at a time.

Cash will never be phased out, do you use bitcoins maybe

On 12/10/2022 at 6:54 PM, C Montgomery Burns said:

It looks like he’s now reduced to skulking around Strand St on his lunch break trying to be interviewed by Sky News to get his face on the telly! 

I’m frequently skulking around Strand St and other locations around the Island in the hope that Sky News ( or any other media broadcaster)will interview me about anything so that I can get my face on the telly.

Being retired I am not limited to lunch breaks so can spend most of the day doing this. 

No luck so far but one lives in hope.

• Haha 1