More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

13 minutes ago, Reportage said:

There was around 100 people there easy. The funniest bit was the bit at the end where Damien Ciapelli suggested earlier on that they had a show of hands at the end. Wells seemed to have deliberately forgotten this request but everyone pushed at the end for the chairman to ask for a show of hands. The hands for and against went up. With about 5 people voting for. Then someone at the back said can those who work for the Corpy and who have put their hands up please put them down as that’s cheating. Five hands immediately go back down. So the only people out of 100 plus people who supported the measures were people who actually worked for the Corpy who then retracted their vote. You couldn’t have made it up. 

Let’s be sensible here.

I am No fan of most of the current commissioners and as an organisation I absolutely despise DBC for a number of reasons that I won’t bore you with, but to suggest this meeting was reflective or that any vote taken is representative of a cross section of people is truly insane.  Of course the vote was majorities against.  That’s why the sad acts that can’t be arsed making a tiny bit of effort with their rubbish were there in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Reportage said:

That’s 100% true. 100% you voted in favour of the council at a show of hands. One of five people who worked for the council who were the only people to show favour. 

Just stop. Seriously. 

16 minutes ago, Reportage said:

There was around 100 people there easy. The funniest bit was the bit at the end where Damien Ciapelli suggested earlier on that they had a show of hands at the end. Wells seemed to have deliberately forgotten this request but everyone pushed at the end for the chairman to ask for a show of hands. The hands for and against went up. With about 5 people voting for. Then someone at the back said can those who work for the Corpy and who have put their hands up please put them down as that’s cheating. Five hands immediately go back down. So the only people out of 100 plus people who supported the measures were people who actually worked for the Corpy who then retracted their vote. You couldn’t have made it up. 

Wait till you see the turnout if DBC u-turned and announced they were going back to weekly collections.  The vast majority of Douglas 12,000 odd households support the decision and understand we need to catch up with our neighbours on either side who have been accustomed to 2 or 3 weekly collections for close to a generation. Going back is not an option.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Reportage said:

Sorry I’m trying to report what actually happened at one of the most hilarious meetings I’ve ever seen. Including Cllr’s trying to fool the cameras and cheat a vote by being the only people to vote in support .. of themselves. 

Why couldn’t or shouldn’t they vote in support if they were at the meeting and they support the scheme?

If they had said they didn’t they would then be criticised for having voted for it in the first place

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1

vast majority  at the meeting voted to return to a weekly refuse collection in Douglas ,  Ms Wells and the environmental services chair Horning  kept quoting Uk and EU figures  ,which really have no bearing on the isle of man   as transport costs , houses in multiple occupancy   ,flats and new apartments with minimal waste bin  storage have obviously not been factored into the   waste collection study  which   for some reason  the corporation want to keep to themselves  , 

there were a number of irate people  at the meeting who thought certain councillors were trying to bully through their own agendas , no mention of the money wasted on Gas  propelled vehicles , and what the bin men now do  as  they only collect the house hold waste  every 2 weeks ,and there is no green waste to collect in the winter , 

their waste strategy  is falling apart   and looking badly planned ill thought out  no consultation   and relying on  the public allowing themselves to be bullied into it ,which I think isn't going to happen ,   council members sadly came over as arrogant  and not prepared to listen  to ratepayers concerns  or look at photographs highlighting the problems  with overflowing bins and vermin , , if there had of been a vote of no confidence  it certainly would have been carried tonight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Reportage said:

Firstly Claire Wells was totally out of her depth from the start. She stood up like a school teacher and lectured everyone for half an hour from a script (she read badly) and then got it in the neck for the next 2 hours with her high handed aloof attitude that refused to take anyones comments on board. The funniest one though was the stooge they planted in the audience who actually oversees the collections for the Corpy who was incandescent with rage that he was the only person in the room who wasn’t a Cllr who supported the move. He was proper furious at the end. Like he was going to explode. 

It was a well prepared and researched statement and I really think we went to different meetings. You obviously have a lot of anger in you for some reason and reasonable discussion is therefore not an option with you, so this is the last reply from me on your recollection of events. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

I did I was at the back. Didn't see anyone in a rage other than you when you done a half flounce thought you were going to full drama queen and walk out. No idea why it's bloating something to do with my phone. Apologies

I recognise him now and would agree with your recollection of events. 

11 minutes ago, Tailless said:

Wait till you see the turnout if DBC u-turned and announced they were going back to weekly collections.  The vast majority of Douglas 12,000 odd households support the decision and understand we need to catch up with our neighbours on either side who have been accustomed to 2 or 3 weekly collections for close to a generation. Going back is not an option.

Neighbours across have 3 or 4 bins collected at different times during a fortnight.

Are DBC giving you bins for different types of items?

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

What's the point in these silly public meetings if the outcome is just 'it was clearly only attended by a vocal minority and we don't care what the vote says.'

It wasn’t a public meeting arranged by DBC was it?  It was arranged by a small group of people who are lazy and don’t want to sort their rubbish, so it’s not an indication of anything because the vast majority who are happy with the new scheme had better things to do than go down there.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2