More uselessness from DBC

Newsdesk

Just now, Asthehills said:

It wasn’t a public meeting arranged by DBC was it?  It was arranged by a small group of people who are lazy and don’t want to sort their rubbish, so it’s not an indication of anything because the vast majority who are happy with the new scheme had better things to do than go down there.

I'm pretty certain it was organised by DBC. Happy to be corrected though.

Nobody has answered this for me: are DBC giving residents other new bins to separate out their rubbish?

Edited by NoTailT

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

vast majority  at the meeting voted to return to a weekly refuse collection in Douglas ,  Ms Wells and the environmental services chair Horning  kept quoting Uk and EU figures  ,which really have no bearing on the isle of man   as transport costs , houses in multiple occupancy   ,flats and new apartments with minimal waste bin  storage have obviously not been factored into the   waste collection study  which   for some reason  the corporation want to keep to themselves  , 

there were a number of irate people  at the meeting who thought certain councillors were trying to bully through their own agendas , no mention of the money wasted on Gas  propelled vehicles , and what the bin men now do  as  they only collect the house hold waste  every 2 weeks ,and there is no green waste to collect in the winter , 

their waste strategy  is falling apart   and looking badly planned ill thought out  no consultation   and relying on  the public allowing themselves to be bullied into it ,which I think isn't going to happen ,   council members sadly came over as arrogant  and not prepared to listen  to ratepayers concerns  or look at photographs highlighting the problems  with overflowing bins and vermin , , if there had of been a vote of no confidence  it certainly would have been carried tonight 

"vast majority" of about 0.25% of the Douglas population. And councillors have certainly listened to the actual majority of residents who support the move. All changes of this nature will have teething problems and they are being ironed out.  Our back alley was a tip for the first few weeks (tbh it's always been a mess), but things have improved with a few extra bins and residents now actually doing a lot more recycling.
I remember the same rants about biweekly collections 20 years ago over, but nobody even questions it now.

It's us kicking and screaming our way into the 20th century!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

vast majority  at the meeting voted to return to a weekly refuse collection in Douglas ,  Ms Wells and the environmental services chair Horning  kept quoting Uk and EU figures  ,which really have no bearing on the isle of man   as transport costs , houses in multiple occupancy   ,flats and new apartments with minimal waste bin  storage have obviously not been factored into the   waste collection study  which   for some reason  the corporation want to keep to themselves  , 

there were a number of irate people  at the meeting who thought certain councillors were trying to bully through their own agendas , no mention of the money wasted on Gas  propelled vehicles , and what the bin men now do  as  they only collect the house hold waste  every 2 weeks ,and there is no green waste to collect in the winter , 

their waste strategy  is falling apart   and looking badly planned ill thought out  no consultation   and relying on  the public allowing themselves to be bullied into it ,which I think isn't going to happen ,   council members sadly came over as arrogant  and not prepared to listen  to ratepayers concerns  or look at photographs highlighting the problems  with overflowing bins and vermin , , if there had of been a vote of no confidence  it certainly would have been carried tonight 

Again: what did you expect at a meeting organised by people against the measure? I mean seriously.

How are UK figures not relevant? Because it doesn't suit your argument? 

I have previously explained what the refuse crews are doing and that they are still busy. Maybe you missed that post, it's a couple of pages back I think. 

Being realistic here, 70 people out of 30,000 residents / 12,000 households turned up. A few more joined a Facebook group with very low engagement figures (the number of likes is largely meaningless as any marketing person will tell you). Again, that doesn't mean their concerns aren't valid or being taken seriously. They are. But it does show that the scheme is by and large working, and where issues arise help is available. There were forms available on the night where people could leave their contact details or they could have just approached any of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Reportage said:

No it was arranged by the Captain of the Parrish under a formal direction from 12 members of the public. 

Who were all opposed to the changes because they are too lazy to sort their rubbish.  Is there a list of the 12 and where they live available?  There normally is for a requisition meeting?

If they had taken 100 random Douglas residents do you think 12 would have been prepared to put their names to the organisation of the meeting?

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Again: what did you expect at a meeting organised by people against the measure? I mean seriously.

I have previously explained what the refuse crews are doing and that they are still busy. Maybe you missed that post, it's a couple of pages back I think. 

Being realistic here, 70 people out of 30,000 residents / 12,000 households turned up. A few more joined a Facebook group with very low engagement figures (the number of likes is largely meaningless as any marketing person will tell you). Again, that doesn't mean their concerns aren't valid or being taken seriously. They are. But it does show that the scheme is by and large working, and where issues arise help is available. There were forms available on the night where people could leave their contact details or they could have just approached any of us. 

Did you / the council encourage people to attend to voice their opinions? If not, it’s hardly surprising the attendance swings in one view.

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Or alternatively have given up, in the knowledge their voice will not be heard and resigned to rates rises they don't need or deserve to shoulder

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Reportage I live in a block of 4 flats we could probably stretch out to a monthly collection for our bin. Fact is it's just a minority of lazy people and people who don't like change. DBC are doing the best for the majority not the minority which is how it should be done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Reportage said:

No it was arranged by the Captain of the Parrish under a formal direction from 12 members of the public. 

It was chaired by the Captain of Lonan Parish as Madam Mayor was unavailable for personal reasons. It was not organised by him but I must say he did a sterling job. 

8 minutes ago, Reportage said:

Ok so firstly, I’ve never bloody heard of them. This article refers mostly to requisition meetings of MHKs but I’m assuming - given it happened - can also requisition the council leaders.

Firstly: I keep asking but nobody answers and I’m not a Douglas resident so I don’t know the answer, has DBC provided kerbside recycling facilities ( bins ) to also be collected alongside general waste as part of this measure moving to fortnightly collections?

Secondly: Moaning bastards, maybe. But how dare an elected official come to forums and social media to berate people for following their democratic process to call such meetings. Like it or lump it, some people - possibly a minority but who knows - are clearly aggrieved by something. Treat them with the humility of being an aggrieved person, rather than isolating them to being a ‘minority moaning bastard’. Think it, fine. But a bit of basic PR and public engagement training needed for some folk I think.

People are entitled to rant and moan, even in a minority. Us Joe Publics can voice our opinions as we wish, but elected officials should be held to a much higher standard. Two wrongs don’t make a right. We are not entitled to responses in a public platform and I’d suggest saying nothing online is better than riling up the aggrieved.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1