Refugees.

A fool and his money.....

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So with around 50 Ukrainian refugees successfully welcomed to the island, and with government's recently publicised ambition to increase our working age population by around 15K, surely the time is right to revisit our decision on the ongoing Syrian refugee crisis. Discuss.

It's not gonna happen

Ukrainian people look like us, Syrian people don't.

Flame me but that is the problem............

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I can safely say we are not taking in any Russians for whatever reason. Not a chance . 

“We” as an island or “we” as in your household?

I would have no issue with seeing people fleeing Russia being accommodated here and offered work (or Ukraine, or Syria, or indeed anywhere else as long as the right support systems were in place for them)

We have had a couplE of Ukrainian’s at work for a few months and they are making amazing efforts to improve their language and other skills, are honest, reliable and great workers.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Lots of angles on all this. Its a minefield . I think the Ukrainians are like the Polish and will ultimately go back home. Not sure the Syrians would. Culturally it would be a big problem too.  

Are the 15K people of working age we're throwing money at attracting going to go home?

British immigration to the island has had a far greater cultural effect on this island for decades than 50 Syrians ever would.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I would have no issue with seeing people fleeing Russia being accommodated here and offered work (or Ukraine, or Syria, or indeed anywhere else as long as the right support systems were in place for them)

We have had a couplE of Ukrainian’s at work for a few months and they are making amazing efforts to improve their language and other skills, are honest, reliable and great workers.

Absolutely. As are a vast majority of people from any part of the world.

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

My comment was based on how it is , not what my feelings on the matter. Russians have had basically their money frozen and there's  not a chance they would get a visa to travel to the UK in the current circumstances. I am pretty sure that Ukrainians or Syrians could offer loads to our population . I think its probably easier for Ukrainians as culturally its closer to us . If I still employed people I would have no hesitation giving a Ukranian a opening. And for the record wouldnt be adverse either to fleeing Russians coming here. I just think it cant happen due to the reasons mentioned above. 

Edited by Numbnuts