Refugees.

A fool and his money.....

21 minutes ago, Apple said:

I think one of them is my nephew who is now a GP in Scotland. He would love to come home but....

Don't think anyone I knew ended up in Scotland.  And I suspect any contemporaries of mine who became GPs would be retired by now.

I think whether someone who went to the UK to train or to work wants to return to the IoM (to work or to retire) depends to a large extent whereabouts in the UK they live.

If they live in a crap part of the UK, then returning may be attractive.

If they live in a nice part of the UK, there may not be much on the IoM worth returning to.

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Based upon the fact that we have huge waiting lists for anything medical, I'd say yes. @wrighty would be the man on the ground to comment though.

Like most things in health, it's complex.

In some areas the number of doctors is not the limiting factor.  News today that UK waiting lists are now past 7 million.  At the same time there are surgeons having their operating lists cancelled sitting around twiddling their thumbs because there are no theatre staff, or no available beds.  In others, number of doctors absolutely are the limiting factor - I'm not saying that without innovation and rule-changes some jobs currently done by doctors couldn't be done by non-medically qualified professionals in other disciplines, but in the short to medium term there are shortages - GPs, Radiologists, ED, Anaesthetics, Geriatrics being 5 that immediately spring to mind without having to thing too hard.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

f they live in a nice part of the UK, there may not be much on the IoM worth returning to.

He lives and works in the open countryside just outside St Andrews. It would need drastic changes here to attract him back, despite the offers he has already had.

Edited by Apple
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

- I'm not saying that without innovation and rule-changes some jobs currently done by doctors couldn't be done by non-medically qualified professionals in other disciplines,

Actually chatting to a GP friend a few weeks ago, he was getting pretty aggro about something similar. 

Things that should be able to be done by receptionists/admin,  like phoning the hospital for an update on something, fall to him and the other Partners at the practice.  There were some other things like triaging patients, but this was the one that stood out.  I think everyone could agree that a Doc's time is best spent with patients rather than phoning around the hospital chasing something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Some doctors receptionists do a good job of triaging patients if you try and get an emergency appointment.

At rhe same time, an unqualified deduction cannot, should not, be relied upon in certain situations.

Why can't GP surgeries and hospital clinics operate over weekends? In the case of hospital appointments, surely it would speed up the processing of patients? Fewer people would have to take time off work to visit their GP if the surgeries were open over weekends.

Too costly..?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wrighty said:

but in the short to medium term there are shortages - GPs, Radiologists, ED, Anaesthetics, Geriatrics being 5 that immediately spring to mind without having to thing too hard.

since when has the isle of man had a shortage of geriatrics ???  the place is teeming  with them.  :flowers:

14 hours ago, quilp said:

Why can't GP surgeries and hospital clinics operate over weekends? In the case of hospital appointments, surely it would speed up the processing of patients? Fewer people would have to take time off work to visit their GP if the surgeries were open over weekends.

Too costly..?

Well if you can't get enough people to operate a service for five days, how do you think it will work over seven?  There may be another problem as well.  I've had conversations with people who offered Saturday clinics, and no shows were a much bigger problem than other days of the week.

16 hours ago, quilp said:

Too costly..?

When this 7-day working for the NHS was being touted as a priority by the UK government, a wise but somewhat cynical chap I vaguely know explained the issue like this:

"Imagine this piece of A4 paper is the amount of work the NHS does.  [Holds it portrait] This is 5 day working, with days on the horizontal axis, work intensity on the vertical. [Holds it Landscape] This is 7 day working."

Unless you increase staffing to 140% of full levels (we're currently at 85%) it's a non-starter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It would certainly allow room for those more senior nurses to move into a role that they might find more stimulating and perhaps rewarding, rather than hanging on until they have to retire because they're knackered or because their career path leads to nowhere and lose interest and just quit.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, Apple said:

He lives and works in the open countryside just outside St Andrews. It would need drastic changes here to attract him back, despite the offers he has already had.

OK.  In that case I can understand the reluctance to return.  

I've lived in various places in the UK and have been at my current location for about 35 years.  I can't imagine anything that could happen which would make returning to the IoM more attractive than staying where I am.

But depends on where you would be leaving from to return...

• Like 1