Gold Post Box

Passing Time

Stu - this just about sums up the small-minded pettiness that even IOMG Statutory Boards are capable of. Why, particularly since IOMPO made money out of issuing and selling stamps back in 2012? Or have the management forgotten about that?

IOMPO could have saved some money by not painting it red and I'm sure that if the gold paint needed renewing then an approach to the Onchan or even cycling communities would have realised a couple of pots of paint for free and even volunteers to paint it.

IOMPO has very little to shout about these days and for the sake of a bit of thought in advance this wouldn't have made the headlines.

• Like 4

Its all a bit pathetic really. Post boxes all need painted from time to time. I would imagine the price of gold paint wont be much different from red paint. And the claim that Onchan commisioners and Pete Kennaugh and family were consulted seems to be a lie too. Can any dept of Government get anything right ?? .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Stu - this just about sums up the small-minded pettiness that even IOMG Statutory Boards are capable of. Why, particularly since IOMPO made money out of issuing and selling stamps back in 2012? Or have the management forgotten about that?

IOMPO could have saved some money by not painting it red and I'm sure that if the gold paint needed renewing then an approach to the Onchan or even cycling communities would have realised a couple of pots of paint for free and even volunteers to paint it.

IOMPO has very little to shout about these days and for the sake of a bit of thought in advance this wouldn't have made the headlines.

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Its all a bit pathetic really. Post boxes all need painted from time to time. I would imagine the price of gold paint wont be much different from red paint. And the claim that Onchan commisioners and Pete Kennaugh and family were consulted seems to be a lie too. Can any dept of Government get anything right ?? .

It was a dirty messy gold colour. Whatever it celebrated is a decade ago. Let’s just get back to red.

This really does show part of the problem of the Island. Take a sane & sensible decision, get shouted at by a rabble, back down, U turn, portray that as being responsive, warm, cuddly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

No.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

It was a dirty messy gold colour. Whatever it celebrated is a decade ago. Let’s just get back to red.

This really does show part of the problem of the Island. Take a sane & sensible decision, get shouted at by a rabble, back down, U turn, portray that as being responsive, warm, cuddly.

But there was no way it was a sane and sensible decision. Not even close to being one. UK have gold post boxes  all over the place still .  For a local lad to win a gold medal is incredible and should be celebrated for as long as possible. Especially as it doesnt really cost anything to do so. We have a great sporting Island but Pete reached the top. How many can say that .?!!.

Also its says a lot that you can refer to the majority commenting on this as rabble. Clearly you have seemingly no perception as to what it takes to reach this sort of level in sport 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

The Kennaugh’s had been consulted and didn’t have an issue.

Are any of the gold ones in the UK still gold ten years later?  I doubt it.

All of them apparently, according to that link I gave (indeed there seems to be the opposite problem with unauthorised people painting boxes gold to celebrate post-2012 gold medals).

And the Kennaughs don't seem to have been consulted and do have a problem as all the news reports state.

It's telling that the IOM Post press release now doesn't talk about consultation with the family or the Commissioners, just:  we did speak to the Kennaugh family and out of courtesy had informed Onchan District Commissioners and the Sub Postmaster of Onchan Post Office.  Not saying when.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

But there was no way it was a sane and sensible decision. Not even close to being one. UK have gold post boxes  all over the place still .  For a local lad to win a gold medal is incredible and should be celebrated for as long as possible. Especially as it doesnt really cost anything to do so. We have a great sporting Island but Pete reached the top. How many can say that .?!!.

Blue Plaque. The gold post boxes look incredibly ugly. It’s a metallic paint and looks dirty and muddy.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Blue Plaque. The gold post boxes look incredibly ugly. It’s a metallic paint and looks dirty and muddy.

I’m sure a rainbow one being painted over would have fumed you more. But I suppose non sporting people don’t understand the significance of it.
It’s a inspirational story I’ve told my sporty child and he always mentions it when we pass it. That alone makes me smile. And I’m sure hundreds of other families do the same. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

I’m sure a rainbow one being painted over would have fumed you more.

What’s that got to do with anything other than being a personal dig. I think the gold was a nice temporary gesture. It looked terrible. It should be ephemeral. Really couldn’t care less about post boxes, pedestrian crossings, promenade benches being painted rainbow and then painted back. It’s ephemeral. Why aren’t we ( or UK ) painting post boxes gold for medals won in 2016 and 2020.

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

. But I suppose non sporting people don’t understand the significance of it.
It’s a inspirational story I’ve told my sporty child and he always mentions it when we pass it. That alone makes me smile. And I’m sure hundreds of other families do the same. 

I do understand the significance. I appreciate your point. That’s why I suggested a recognised commemorative symbol, the blue plaque.

Its all part of the Diana syndrome, as amplified by two jubilees, and and the death of the queen, of public going overboard.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So all the others PO boxes placed around the British Isles must be crap as well then?

No, they look OK, the gold paint looks better. 

ETA the gold paint on ours was mellowing to a bronze colour which is, surely, not the point? 

Edited by Gladys