Gold Post Box

Passing Time

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

A mistake wasn't made and in fact all reasonable steps (short of a full public consultation) were taken by IOMPO in good faith prior to wasting a tin of red paint. But once the torches of outrage were lit it was just easier to get the paintbrush out again. So please accept this as a non-apology from me (because I don't believe an apology is necessary or appropriate).

The fact that this is the most exciting political thing that has happened in Onchan in 10 years says it all. I can’t see how the post office couldn’t see that after making such a fuss of painting it gold (to draw publicity to itself following the Olympics) that it wouldn’t be unpopular them then trying to erase the success that Kennaugh had at the Olympics by unpainting it gold. It’s either a monument forever or frankly don’t f**king bother doing these cheap publicity stunts. 

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The fact that this is the most exciting political thing that has happened in Onchan in 10 years says it all. I can’t see how the post office couldn’t see that after making such a fuss of painting it gold (to draw publicity to itself following the Olympics) that it wouldn’t be unpopular them then trying to erase the success that Kennaugh had at the Olympics by unpainting it gold. It’s either a monument forever or frankly don’t f**king bother doing these cheap publicity stunts. 

10 years. And it was hardly a cheap publicity stunt, that post box will soon have had about a fiver's worth of paint on it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

That may be your intepretation Roger. I'm told (and have no reason to doubt) that aware of the significance of the gold box - albeit 10 years on - IOMPO staff talked to the family and contacted the Commissioners and Sub Post Master - none of whom objected to it being returned to post box red. So it was repainted red, which after all is the colour people expect their post boxes to be.

Then some people complained, those that had (I'm sure) been contacted denied any knowledge and a mountain was created out of a molehill built on a foundation of social media offence. I don't seek to dismiss the importance of the initial achievement, but if it was so noteworthy you'd have thought someone might have thought to erect a plaque explaining the significance.

A mistake wasn't made and in fact all reasonable steps (short of a full public consultation) were taken by IOMPO in good faith prior to wasting a tin of red paint. But once the torches of outrage were lit it was just easier to get the paintbrush out again. So please accept this as a non-apology from me (because I don't believe an apology is necessary or appropriate).

Complete disingenuous bollocks. "Talked to the family"? Pete Kennaugh's not bloody dead. All his social media indicates no-one spoke to him. Did someone instead happen to mention it to his father, a Post Office employee, and so unlikely to be in a position to complain? Don't go pretending it's the same thing...

Edited by sm-iom
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, sm-iom said:

Complete disingenuous bollocks. "Talked to the family"? Pete Kennaugh's not bloody dead. All his social media indicates no-one spoke to him. Did someone instead happen to mention it to his father, a Post Office employee, and so unlikely to be in a position to complain? Don't go pretending it's the same thing...

This...looks like Stu Peters has fallen into the trap that all MHK's seem to sucumb too. Believing what CS or management  in their departments tell them. Someone's been lying over this and I know which my money is on. 

Edited by Numbnuts
Clarify a point
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't have civil servants in IOMPO, and I know which family member was spoken to. So you're both wrong and basing your opinions on street skeet. But don't let that spoil a good moan about me and everybody else you just don't like.

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

10 years. And it was hardly a cheap publicity stunt, that post box will soon have had about a fiver's worth of paint on it!

Ah but the invoice to the PO from the private contractor who painted it will be £150 for paint plus £250 labour because the PO got rid of their maintenance men to save money. 

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I don't have civil servants in IOMPO, and I know which family member was spoken to. So you're both wrong and basing your opinions on street skeet. But don't let that spoil a good moan about me and everybody else you just don't like.

Then we will call them management at Post office then. There was a quote initial atributed to a spokesman. And theres very few people I dont like. Lots maybe talk rubbish or are selective with the truth but thats different. I dont know you so its a bit of a stretch to assume I dont like you. Honestly have a open mind , mainly based on your Manx Radio ramblings but hey ho.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Keep digging

27 minutes ago, sm-iom said:

7 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I don't have civil servants in IOMPO, and I know which family member was spoken to. So you're both wrong and basing your opinions on street skeet. But don't let that spoil a good moan about me and everybody else you just don't 

What's it got to do with any 'family member' other than the  individual themselves? Your great-aunt might say it's OK for me to get you a shovel to dig a bigger hole but that doesn't mean you've been told, or agree.

Edited by sm-iom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

Because 2012 was the Home Olympics. That is significant. 
 And WE aren’t painting any further post boxes because an IOM sportsperson didn’t win any. 

Yes.  I was surprised the question was even asked.  It was a bit like asking "We had an Olympic Games opening ceremony in London in 2012.  Why didn't we have opening ceremonies in London for the Rio and Tokyo games too?"