Fireworks in the City

hissingsid

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

what a waste of taxpayers money and more damage to the environment ,  is this really what we have been asked to  give up our weekly refuse collection for , 

I am not amused !

If it’s paid for by one of Douglas Corporations favoured suppliers/pet companies or organisations who wish to sponsor out the goodness of their hearts, then I’ve no problem with. Even with that, it still costs the taxpayers in one way shape or form. 

Are any real cost benefit analysis exercises run, to see who directly benefits, whether the retailers and hospitality sales and footfall increases massively? After all Douglas Corporation have scrapped the Carnival again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hissingsid said:

DC has announced they are putting on a firework display from a floating barge, judging by the response on FB the rate payers of the City are not amused.

That’s what’s happened the last few times they’ve been held & always been an excellent display!

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

That’s what’s happened the last few times they’ve been held & always been an excellent display!

It may be an excellent display, but can the council and commissioners afford to put on displays? Is their sufficient funding, through sponsorship or enough within their budgets. I would be surprised, bearing in mind the current squeeze on finances, the pressures on budgets.

10 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Putting on fireworks sends out the wrong message, especially when the island will have people going without heating  and food.

It's an important reminder/warning to any would-be Catholic terrorists/co-conspirators that may be thinking of blowing up the monarchy. 

• Haha 3

I struggle financially at times, sometimes it's nice to have a diversion. Firework displays are not the cause of this island's financial woes or the climate crisis, ill thought-out capital schemes allayed to weak politicians are, greed is.

I heard a green speaker give a talk a couple of years ago,because I do want change. But the speaker was going on about the changes they've seen in their trips to Indonesia. I've seen a multi-millionaire build the biggest f'ck off house with the biggest carbon footprint, and then get a few solar panels and a 'there's no planet b' t-shirt. 

So, I won't feel guilty watching some nice lights and bangs

Edit - or are environmentally unfriendly entertainments bad when they are for the masses, but acceptable for the individual who wants to 'find themselves' in some jungle that they will never understand?

I suppose it's the signalling that counts. The bloke who I knew with the smallest carbon-footprint was booted out of his home by the government, the talk of providing land for those who want to live that way has disappeared up the same a-hole it emanated from.

Edited by Hoops
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Port Erin Commissioners are investigating whether there is enough money in the emergency reserves to put on a fireworks display.

Does not having a fireworks display sound like a fucking emergency? Utterly mental.

If those uppity Douglas city bastards are having a display and PE isn't, that's surely an emergency?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Port Erin Commissioners are investigating whether there is enough money in the emergency reserves to put on a fireworks display.

Does not having a fireworks display sound like a fucking emergency? Utterly mental.

Perhaps you are getting confused. I think they mean they have an annual fund in case if an emergency. If they dont have an emergency then there is money available for fireworks. 

Of course they could transfer this years emergency fund to next year and reduce everyone's rates.

They are not saying having fireworks is an emergency.

I have to say I am a bit concerned that you did not understand that as your posts are normally pretty good.

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Perhaps you are getting confused. I think they mean they have an annual fund in case if an emergency. If they dont have an emergency then there is money available for fireworks. 

Of course they could transfer this years emergency fund to next year and reduce everyone's rates.

They are not saying having fireworks is an emergency.

I have to say I am a bit concerned that you did not understand that as your posts are normally pretty good.

I'm not saying that they genuinely think not having fireworks is an emergency, I'm saying that the emergency fund should be used for, well, emergencies. So no, they should not use it to put on a fireworks display. If it's unused - great.

EDIT: And on behalf of everyone else on the forum, I take issue with you describing my posts as "normally pretty good" :lol:

Edited by HeliX
  • Haha 1