Fireworks in the City

hissingsid

11 hours ago, HeliX said:

I'm not saying that they genuinely think not having fireworks is an emergency, I'm saying that the emergency fund should be used for, well, emergencies. So no, they should not use it to put on a fireworks display. If it's unused - great.

EDIT: And on behalf of everyone else on the forum, I take issue with you describing my posts as "normally pretty good" :lol:

Well that explanation makes more sense. 

I'm not a great fan of fireworks and therefore for me they are a waste of money. However many people love them and most kids do. 

I reckon if there is money left over because they didnt have an emergency then surely things are not so bad that people cant have a bit of fun. It brings people into the town to spend money.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Well that explanation makes more sense. 

I'm not a great fan of fireworks and therefore for me they are a waste of money. However many people love them and most kids do. 

I reckon if there is money left over because they didnt have an emergency then surely things are not so bad that people cant have a bit of fun. It brings people into the town to spend money.

Last fireworks PE was absolutely rammed with leisure services coining it hand over fist...

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Last fireworks PE was absolutely rammed with leisure services coining it hand over fist...

According to the usual dim suspects on FB, last PE fireworks were terrible because they were marginally quieter than normal fireworks, and those people won't be coming back as a result. Apparently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It is not the displays that bother me it is the idiot neighbours who set them off whenever so there is no warning.   I hope it pisses down for the first two weeks of November that will learn them. 🤣

Yeah, agreed. You can plan around "official" displays, be somewhere else if you have nervous pets/kids/whatever. But there's no accounting for the knob down the road who starts setting them off at 5pm when it's not even sodding dark.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 1:58 PM, P.K. said:

I didn't think there were any leisure services in Port Erin after the end of September?

• Like 1

Manchester have announced today no fireworks , and a cut back on Christmas decorations and lighting to save money , Andy Burnham  thinks it would be better spent on those  who are having a particularly hard time at the moment  , I wonder if our city fathers will do the same  ? or will they blow their budget on 15 minutes of smoke and bangs 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:19 PM, HeliX said:

According to the usual dim suspects on FB, last PE fireworks were terrible because they were marginally quieter than normal fireworks, and those people won't be coming back as a result. Apparently.

Their loss.

I would like to know where the "quieter" fireworks nonsense came from?

As I understand it a resident purchased animals knowing full well that around the 5th Nov and 31st Dec folks like to set off fireworks.

So they decided that they could bend PE Commissioners to their will and try and spoil an activity that is enjoyed by thousands. And so it proved.

And all because this individual decided to keep pets...

A farce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Their loss.

I would like to know where the "quieter" fireworks nonsense came from?

As I understand it a resident purchased animals knowing full well that around the 5th Nov and 31st Dec folks like to set off fireworks.

So they decided that they could bend PE Commissioners to their will and try and spoil an activity that is enjoyed by thousands. And so it proved.

And all because this individual decided to keep pets...

A farce.

It's not just pets really though is it, it's livestock (which can't easily be taken to a friend's house for the day!), people with neurodivergent children etc.

The quieter fireworks were pointless though in my view. They were only marginally quieter, probably not enough to make the blindest bit of difference to animals and children (though apparently enough to upset a load of snowflakes who apparently require their fireworks to be full volume or they'll have a hissy fit), and it's not the official displays that are the problem anyway really. It's whoppers letting off half a dozen shit petrol-station fireworks at all hours they fancy.