motorists see red on the promenade

Omobono

I was having my usual walk on Douglas promenade this morning , and surprised to see a tail back of traffic  near Castle Mona avenue ,  they were stopped at the tram controlled red lights ,only problem was there were no trams on the promenade  today , one motorist told me its a regular   occurrence  and its becoming very frustrating  ,  and even suggested it could cause an accident because some drivers were now ignoring  the lights ,  and overtaking those who had stopped , the  light controlled tram crossing  seems to be over engineered, and is it really necessary ,and something else ,added  increase the consultants  fees !

• Like 2

There's been no service scheduled Monday or Tuesday since early September.  You'd think they would have worked something out by now. Maybe it isn't overengineered, but under-engineered and they forgot to put in an off-switch.  Or a facility to program in days of the week.

Still with current Prom expertise, it will probably be 'struck by lightening' soon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ray Manx said:

I thought these traffic lights for the horse trams are manually controlled with a fob used by the conductor 🤔

They have little sensors on the track too. Those have now been got to by sea water and debris which is now causing these problems.

• Haha 1

I honestly don't understand why there haven't been more psychological breakdowns and road rage attacks on inanimate road furniture by drivers. 

It's like some sort of sanity tester now. 

Thank god I rarely have to use the Prom nowadays.  I'm pretty certain that if I still lived in Laxey and used the Prom daily, I would have stolen a bulldozer by now and gone on a full rampage.  Possibly taking a chainsaw to a horse and anyone in the vicinity wearing hi-viz. 

I'd like to say this beggars belief.  But unfortunately I can 100% believe.  In fact it was bound to happen.  As are further to develop screw-ups. 

• Haha 1

I find this hard to believe ...

Manx crab rumour mill ..

It was a quality project from start to finish and all the additions costed and tested to ensure value for money.

You'll be telling us all those cruise ships brought in half a million quid and and provided great value to the Manx economy next.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I had a nice drive and walk along there Sunday and it always depresses me how staggeringly shite the whole thing is. The only half decent bit is the bit past the Hydro which they have hardly changed at all. The rest looks like a depressingly shit Eastern Bloc project with no soul and no logic. 

Maybe the Russians have slowly been infiltrating the gov. without us noticing?

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Maybe the Russians have slowly been infiltrating the gov. without us noticing?

The most depressing one is the “new” bus shelter on Loch Prom. One of the rusty old ones re-used and looks like it’s been hand painted in black Hammerite. Why make a £25M project deliberately look like some grim Kazakhstani bus terminal? It’s just shit. I’m going to pay 5 blokes to stand in it wearing fur hats and cheap Borat style nylon suits while I take a picture just so we can capture the true Soviet-era depressive shitness of it all. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The most depressing one is the “new” bus shelter on Loch Prom. One of the rusty old ones re-used and looks like it’s been hand painted in black Hammerite. Why make a £25M project deliberately look like some grim Kazakhstani bus terminal? It’s just shit. I’m going to pay 5 blokes to stand in it wearing fur hats and cheap Borat style nylon suits while I take a picture just so we can capture the true Soviet-era depressive shitness of it all. 

i'm in , get XXXL for me please comrade.