Mini reshuffle

John Wright

12 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Nobody (for once!). I offered my services once my initial 12 months was completed. On the basis that scoring points from the back benches can effect change, but rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in is probably more productive. There's no salary benefit from it nowadays, so I can't be bossed around or told to STFU.

Go for it Stu.  I might disagree with some of your views, but we all can't agree on everything. I'd back you 100% on this if you're going to make life difficult for coven of the DOI. 

NB only just noticed your "Straight of of Santon" bio line.  Respect. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Nobody (for once!). I offered my services once my initial 12 months was completed. On the basis that scoring points from the back benches can effect change, but rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in is probably more productive. There's no salary benefit from it nowadays, so I can't be bossed around or told to STFU.

Offered your services? They must have been hard up😂 And they’ll love having a petrol head in there. The DOI hate cars. And do remind us which points you scored from the back bench that resulted in change. I must have missed those. Woke one’s don’t count. And I don’t think being a department member means you can boss people around ( or be bossed around). So I await your resignation on a point of principle. 

3 hours ago, Anyone said:

Offered your services? They must have been hard up😂 And they’ll love having a petrol head in there. The DOI hate cars. And do remind us which points you scored from the back bench that resulted in change. I must have missed those. Woke one’s don’t count. And I don’t think being a department member means you can boss people around ( or be bossed around). So I await your resignation on a point of principle. 

Thank you for your unqualified support.

Feel free to go through Hansard to see my DoI questions (and I didn't claim they caused any changes). The reason I'm taking on the job is because we need more petrol heads in government to remind people we demand more consideration for the huge amount we pay in taxes and duties. I make no apology for wanting to run a private car, nor should anyone else. And if you knew me you'd also know I'm not one to throw my considerable weight around, or to submit to any nonsense.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Thank you for your unqualified support.

Feel free to go through Hansard to see my DoI questions (and I didn't claim they caused any changes). The reason I'm taking on the job is because we need more petrol heads in government to remind people we demand more consideration for the huge amount we pay in taxes and duties. I make no apology for wanting to run a private car, nor should anyone else. And if you knew me you'd also know I'm not one to throw my considerable weight around, or to submit to any nonsense.

And here is the problem. A petrol head exacerbating the car problem on the IoM. 
this island should be moving away from the internal combustion engine but this dinosaur will further fly the flag for it. 
the future won’t be any different from today due to the lack of progressive thought by old men who have no skin in the game for the future generations. 
Thomas is another one, a quick example being the stopping of funding of the western heritage walk. A missed opportunity for the future. 
but let’s keep burning fossil fuels and killing people along the way. 

• Like 2

It might be news to some but Petrol and Diesel cars will stop being sold altogher in 8 years time, and government need to start adapting highways and infrastructure to be fit for purpose not harking back the the 1970s or some other distant memory that thick fat chuffs think was a golden age. More actiive travel, better public transport and reducing car use are a requirement not a ideal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

It might be news to some but Petrol and Diesel cars will stop being sold altogher in 8 years time*, and government need to start adapting highways and infrastructure to be fit for purpose not harking back the the 1970s or some other distant memory that thick fat chuffs think was a golden age. More actiive travel, better public transport and reducing car use are a requirement not a ideal.

* only sale of new cars exclusively fuelled by petrol or diesel in 2030. Hybrids in 2035.

In UK there are 40 million vehicles registered. 2.3 million new vehicles were registered in 2021. 

Petrol and Diesel are going to be around for decades. It’ll take until 2040 minimum before electric and hybrid make up 50% of vehicles on the road, and 2045 before electric only make up 50%

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

* only sale of new cars exclusively fuelled by petrol or diesel in 2030. Hybrids in 2035.

In UK there are 40 million vehicles registered. 2.3 million new vehicles were registered in 2021. 

Petrol and Diesel are going to be around for decades.

Car manaufacturers will stop making petrol cars long before the cut off, whether it is decades or not we need to start adpating transport for a different future now, look at how hyrdocarbon reliance is currently working out, we certainly don't need a complete idiot living in the past to set policy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Car manaufacturers will stop making petrol cars long before the cut off, whether it is decades or not we need to start adpating transport for a different future now, look at how hyrdocarbon reliance is currently working out, we certainly don't need a complete idiot living in the past to set policy.

Or there’ll be a strong market in their final years. I think that’s more likely.

I agree with the need to change. But I’m not going to. Conscious, selfish, decision. I’m at an age where I’ve probably got one more car purchase in my lifetime.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Or there’ll be a strong market in their final years. I think that’s more likely.

I agree with the need to change. But I’m not going to. Conscious, selfish, decision. I’m at an age where I’ve probably got one more car purchase in my lifetime.

If the ban goes through in 2030 (I’m certainly not convinced it will) I’ll be 60 and will likely buy a new, high-spec petrol vehicle to see me through a decade or so. After that, electric might be an option.