Mini reshuffle

John Wright

21 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Why would they keep production lines running right up to a cut off? You are lacking in basic common sense there, sounds like the Stupid Peters principle.

5 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Ooh, get you. Ok tell me why car companies that plan production years in advance would keep production lines running right up until a cut off. Let me guess 'gut instinct', yer tool 

It really is you being stupid. You’ve not checked the facts. You’re assuming there’s a world wide ban in 2030. EU and Japan it’s 2035. There isn’t a uniform date in the states, it’s not federal, 2035 is the earliest. Same in Australia. Canada is 2035. China 2035. And so on.

That leads to two conclusions. UK will likely slip back to 2035, and even if it doesn’t manufacturers, both in UK and abroad, will be producing fossil fuel cars well past 2030. Enough to supply demand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Thank you for your unqualified support.

Feel free to go through Hansard to see my DoI questions (and I didn't claim they caused any changes). The reason I'm taking on the job is because we need more petrol heads in government to remind people we demand more consideration for the huge amount we pay in taxes and duties. I make no apology for wanting to run a private car, nor should anyone else. And if you knew me you'd also know I'm not one to throw my considerable weight around, or to submit to any nonsense.

More consideration? For who exactly and what do you want DOI to do for your particular hobby horse. Taxes are a general thing to fund public services , they are not and should not be hypothecated. If you think they should be as a representative of the people you should say so and how. And then see if the people agree with you. Some probably will - ERG types and such like. 

21 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Thank you for your unqualified support.

To be honest Stu I’d be prepared to do a prediction here that you won’t last three months at the DOI. It’s senior leadership team is basically retarded. They probably have to put post it notes on their shoes to put them on the right feet before they come to work. They won’t be interested in anything you say. In fact they won’t even pretend to care because they’re just a bunch of thick arrogant bastards who would be drawing about 50% of the salaries they’re pulling in from Manx taxpayers if they were employed by anyone else. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

To be honest Stu I’d be prepared to do a prediction here that you won’t last three months at the DOI. It’s senior leadership team is basically retarded. They probably have to put post it notes on their shoes to put them on the right feet before they come to work. They won’t be interested in anything you say. In fact they won’t even pretend to care because they’re just a bunch of thick arrogant bastards who would be drawing about 50% of the salaries they’re pulling in from Manx taxpayers if they were employed by anyone else. 

You may be right - but its only by going down the rabbit hole that I can find out.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, wrighty said:

If the ban goes through in 2030 (I’m certainly not convinced it will) I’ll be 60 and will likely buy a new, high-spec petrol vehicle to see me through a decade or so. After that, electric might be an option. 

There is quite honestly no point in anyone buying an electric vehicle unless they can charge it themselves, at home. I am all up for cleaner energy, electric vehicles, windmills on the mountain and Snaefell covered in solar panels if you must. But, until there are as many electric charging bays as there are parking spaces on the island, there are simply too many people that live in a situation where they would be unable to charge it. For instance, my property has no driveway and I have to park across the road as this side is no parking. Its unviable for me to have a fully electric car, a hybrid sure, that would be a good way to go, but full electric is not an option.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chie said:

There is quite honestly no point in anyone buying an electric vehicle unless they can charge it themselves, at home.

Agreed but even when you’re charging it at home the electricity in the IOM is generated from GAS turbines. I do really love listening to all these self-righteous eco twats who think they’re saving the planet when all they’re doing is burning more natural gas to keep their ego-boosting vanity statement on the road. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Agreed but even when you’re charging it at home the electricity in the IOM is generated from GAS turbines. I do really love listening to all these self-righteous eco twats who think they’re saving the planet when all they’re doing is burning more natural gas to keep their ego-boosting vanity statement on the road. 

unless you have solar...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chie said:

There is quite honestly no point in anyone buying an electric vehicle unless they can charge it themselves, at home. I am all up for cleaner energy, electric vehicles, windmills on the mountain and Snaefell covered in solar panels if you must. But, until there are as many electric charging bays as there are parking spaces on the island, there are simply too many people that live in a situation where they would be unable to charge it. For instance, my property has no driveway and I have to park across the road as this side is no parking. Its unviable for me to have a fully electric car, a hybrid sure, that would be a good way to go, but full electric is not an option.

Very good point. However, electric vehicles are being purchased by those either with access to charging facilities, and those with a driveway/garage facility at home/work. As electric vehicles are expensive they are appealing to the ‘middle class’ and ‘chattering classes’. Eventually the price of these vehicles reduce, but the charging points issue exclude people like yourself, and I doubt the politicos will even think of you when they are legislating against you and I. 

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You may be right - but its only by going down the rabbit hole that I can find out.

2 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

I’m definitely right. Collectively they are literally the most arrogant and incompetent people you will ever meet anywhere in government. 

Sound like they have met their match.

20 hours ago, John Wright said:

I agree with the need to change. But I’m not going to. Conscious, selfish, decision. I’m at an age where I’ve probably got one more car purchase in my lifetime.

Really you don't agree with the need for change then you are just a hypocrit , and are the worst sort, really quite spiteful.