Mini reshuffle

John Wright

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Have you seen the price of electricity at the moment?   If you had invested in solar panels a year or so ago you would probably be quids in now.

I'm not convinced. I'd like to see the workings out. The electricity rate has hardly changed as our kind government are subsidising it. 

Yeah, if the price of electricity does go up 4 fold then maybe, but not at the moment IMV

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

It's a bit more complex. For the various methods of passive heating of water, or heat-storage like the ZEB, it doesn't stop the show if a cloud goes across the sun for a while, but for solar electric, a battery is a necessity - lots of new setups are using Tesla Powerwalls for example. Some old-school setups use arrays of second-hand/scavenged Lead-acid batteries.  Depends on what you're trying to achieve, and whether it's just supplementing mains power, for heating alone, or going semi-independent with your electricity.

I don't dispute all that. But in my book they range from expensive to extremely expensive. At the moment mains power is cheapest. 

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I don't dispute all that. But in my book they range from expensive to extremely expensive. At the moment mains power is cheapest. 

You're right, that expensive initial cost does put people off, but everything needs an initial investment, and you're looking at long-term savings with renewables. Although you need to spend money for the setup, in the medium term you will recoup the cost, and in the long term save money.

If people want to go electric, that's entirely their right and good luck to them (as long as they don't blame me for using petrol). But electric vehicles are at present (as a new purchase) the domain of the wealthy. I seem to recall a UK story a few weeks ago (RAC Foundation?) that said someone using public charging points (thus paying 20% fuel rate) was more expensive than running an ICE, and that a long trip would be impossible because of range limitation.

Personally I think home charging should also be subject to 'vehicle fuel' taxes and duties to make EV owners a little less smug.

1 hour ago, The Bastard said:

You're right, that expensive initial cost does put people off, but everything needs an initial investment, and you're looking at long-term savings with renewables. Although you need to spend money for the setup, in the medium term you will recoup the cost, and in the long term save money.

Does anybody actually know how much it costs to put solar panels on a roof, l would really like to do this. l've just got my electricity bill it's actually gone down, but l'm worried that this will raise considerably next year.

38 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Dave, 52, an accountant, has bought a brand new £40000 Tesla and brags on twitter he pays no tax on it.

Alex, 22, a scaffold labourer, has bought a 16yr old £400 fiesta off manxnet and has had to pay £150 to put it on the road for a year.

Some fucking world.

how much vat did dave pay on the tesla?

25 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Does anybody actually know how much it costs to put solar panels on a roof, l would really like to do this. l've just got my electricity bill it's actually gone down, but l'm worried that this will raise considerably next year.

About 10k plus another 11/12k if you opt for a powerwall to store anything you generate.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Dave, 52, an accountant, has bought a brand new £40000 Tesla and brags on twitter he pays no tax on it

Road tax is just a number that someone in gov. thought of. If, in some impossible world, all cars were magically changed from petrol to EV, the EV road tax would go to the level of petrol cars - and it would possibly have to increase to cover the cost of EV charging points.

Current EV tax is the equivalent of supermarkets selling a can of baked beans for £0.01.

3 hours ago, The Bastard said:

I do understand that and you are correct. How many people live in the same house for 15years and how many have enough cash to prioritise such long term decisions. 

Isn't it better for a whole nation to invest in renewable electricity which it could distribute through a ready made network of wires

1 hour ago, manxfisherman said:

"Saving the planet"

Utter toss.

The EV lobby really annoys me. All they are looking for is public brownie points for buying their ridiculously expensive new toy. A fair few of them seem to want government support to help them buy their ridiculously expensive new toys too on the basis that they’re saving the planet by spending sixty grand on a Tesla. They’re the same twats who bought their £500 Apple Watch first etc etc as well. It’s got nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with the fact they’ve got money falling out of their arses to spend on the latest gadgets so that they can pretend to be better than everyone e else.

• Like 6