Mini reshuffle

John Wright

Petrol has no future but the replacement for it is unclear. We have too many cars everywhere. Solution ,many more than 2 cars per household then jack up the vehicle tax  to £10,000 per car over 2. No one needs more than 2 cars. Charge a huge excess for cars with too much horse power. If you can afford to buy , insure and service a Ferrari you can afford , say , £20,000 to tax it. Anything over , say , 1500 cc needs extra vehicle tax as you don’t need it. How about £100 per cc above. Classic cars should attract a surcharge as well - gas guzzling polluters better being in a scrap yard. That should help a bit and refill government coffers. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

Does anybody actually know how much it costs to put solar panels on a roof, l would really like to do this. l've just got my electricity bill it's actually gone down, but l'm worried that this will raise considerably next year.

Hi Lily. It would be at least £10,000 depending upon how many panels you had fitted. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steady Eddie said:

The EV lobby really annoys me. All they are looking for is public brownie points for buying their ridiculously expensive new toy. A fair few of them seem to want government support to help them buy their ridiculously expensive new toys too on the basis that they’re saving the planet by spending sixty grand on a Tesla. They’re the same twats who bought their £500 Apple Watch first etc etc as well. It’s got nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with the fact they’ve got money falling out of their arses to spend on the latest gadgets so that they can pretend to be better than everyone e else.

The sad thing is. You are probably right in about 99% of cases.

Thats why I said it should be a thing the nation does so that everyone benefits. Not just some hurrah Henry's and their new toys. 

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anyone said:

You have a classic car then? And miss the point. And you don’t think the gov needs more tax revenue to fund public services and infrastructure projects  both of which will promote economic growth. No? Thought so.

I couldn’t care less to be honest and certainly I don’t want my money funding farcical infra projects like the prom of the LPL terminal anyway. Why don’t you just carry on with your joyless moaning life. 

2 minutes ago, BriT said:

I couldn’t care less to be honest and certainly I don’t want my money funding farcical infra projects like the prom of the LPL terminal anyway. Why don’t you just carry on with your joyless moaning life. 

I was not moaning and exactly how much tax did you pay last year? Both projects are worthwhile. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The sad thing is. You are probably right in about 99% of cases.

You should trawl some of the corporate carparks of Douglas on a week day. Loads and loads of premium EVs (Porsches, Audis, Mercs & Teslas) knocking about driven by the great and the good. They won’t have seen much change out of £60K + All charging them on natural gas and thinking they’re saving the world. It’s sad.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Hi Lily. It would be at least £10,000 depending upon how many panels you had fitted. 

Hi Happier diner, l'm just about to have a very long awaited new roof replaced, so l would like to have the solar panels done at same time.  I think it's way above my affordability now. But thank you anyway. 

• Like 1

Just now, Anyone said:

True , but harder to solve!

For the local politicians, maybe - their solution to one of the current problems is to increase the population. But the population increase will simply increase the magnitude of the problem which will then require an increase in the population - in other words, it is a pyramid scheme.

It seems to me that the IoM at the moment is in an enviable situation. If the total population was one person in a wooden hut there would be no facilities here whatsoever.

But the current population gives us the advantage of a hospital, a seaport, an airport, a school system. There is also the advantages of a reasonably low rate of crime, and plenty of open space - which is something that humans tend to like. A while there was a prediction of aurora borealis, so I went up to Blue Point to take a look - nothing to be seen, but that was the first time I had seen the Milky Way on many, many, decades. You don't get that in London.

There are places in the world that already resemble the street scenes in Blade Runner.

There is no shortage of money on the IoM - £30 million to resurface 1.5 miles of road, a few million for a mural of Fane, the fairy princess. What there is is a shortage of politicians with an ounce of common sense and any moral responsibility.

If the present situation continues, in a few millennia  the whole of the IoM will be like a Blade Runner scene and the DoI will be building ever bigger seawalls, and the MHKs will still being trying to solve the problem with more people.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

For the local politicians, maybe - their solution to one of the current problems is to increase the population. But the population increase will simply increase the magnitude of the problem which will then require an increase in the population - in other words, it is a pyramid scheme.

It seems to me that the IoM at the moment is in an enviable situation. If the total population was one person in a wooden hut there would be no facilities here whatsoever.

But the current population gives us the advantage of a hospital, a seaport, an airport, a school system. There is also the advantages of a reasonably low rate of crime, and plenty of open space - which is something that humans tend to like. A while there was a prediction of aurora borealis, so I went up to Blue Point to take a look - nothing to be seen, but that was the first time I had seen the Milky Way on many, many, decades. You don't get that in London.

There are places in the world that already resemble the street scenes in Blade Runner.

There is no shortage of money on the IoM - £30 million to resurface 1.5 miles of road, a few million for a mural of Fane, the fairy princess. What there is is a shortage of politicians with an ounce of common sense and any moral responsibility.

If the present situation continues, in a few millennia  the whole of the IoM will be like a Blade Runner scene and the DoI will be building ever bigger seawalls, and the MHKs will still being trying to solve the problem with more people.

Ok