Mini reshuffle

John Wright

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There is no shortage of money on the IoM - £30 million to resurface 1.5 miles of road, a few million for a mural of Fane, the fairy princess. What there is is a shortage of politicians with an ounce of common sense and any moral responsibility.

If the present situation continues, in a few millennia  the whole of the IoM will be like a Blade Runner scene and the DoI will be building ever bigger seawalls, and the MHKs will still being trying to solve the problem with more people.

The biggest problem the IOM has is the DOI. Alf Cannan should have totally disbanded it within 48 hours of being made CM. It’s just a cancer eating away at the IOM destroying everything it comes into contact with. 

• Like 2

So we build nothing then , just disband them. I’m not saying the DOI is perfect but the NHS is even worse. Even the Boy David said it was. Neither can be solved because the politicians don’t have the time , and more importantly , the skills and experience to turn things around. Most of our politicians would struggle to run a bath let alone a medium sized organisation. It should be simpler than the UK based on size alone but it appears not. After 30 odd years here we are still fighting over the same bones. And nothing changes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

If people want to go electric, that's entirely their right and good luck to them (as long as they don't blame me for using petrol). But electric vehicles are at present (as a new purchase) the domain of the wealthy. I seem to recall a UK story a few weeks ago (RAC Foundation?) that said someone using public charging points (thus paying 20% fuel rate) was more expensive than running an ICE, and that a long trip would be impossible because of range limitation.

Personally I think home charging should also be subject to 'vehicle fuel' taxes and duties to make EV owners a little less smug.

Are you sure you're up to the job and wouldn't be better off sticking with selling stamps ? 

Not all electric vehicles are in the domain of the wealthy compared to ICE. Normal cars aren't cheap. A low-end ICE Range Rover Evoque, a favourite of mums on the school run, starts at 34K and heads up well north of 50K. A Tesla model 3 starts at 38K, which is comparable, does 140mph, hits 0-60 in less than 6 seconds with a range of more than 250 miles.

If we're talking about licensed, excised vehicles, electric motorcycles and vehicles like the Citroen Ami (£19.99 a month on PCP) are inexpensive ICE replacements for commutes and short journeys, for junior to do the school run, or for grandma to do her shopping. You don't need to be Elon Musk, or able to afford one of his products, to swap an old-school ICE for a smaller EV. The technology is maturing fast, too. Electric motorcycles are already out-performing their ICE equivalents in certain market segments.

Other countries with a less-Edwardian infrastructure department run vehicle rental and sharing schemes, and have last-mile solutions such as electric scooter schemes. You'd have thought they'd do pretty well on a small island like ours where short journeys are the norm. Doesn't need to be just large EVs either. If paths and cycle paths were opened up to light license-free electric vehicles (like scooters) then the impact on traffic would be interesting. Instead of parents bussing teens about, they empower them to make their own journeys.

The comment about the range of EVs is a bit baffling on a small island where typical journeys are in the region of 20-30 miles and the typical range of EVs is close to ten times that range.

I understand that for a certain type of older gentlemen, owning a big engined ICE car is part of their identity, compensating for declining looks and performance in the trouser department, and they find any idea of emasculating their penis-substitute very threatening. But not all journeys on the IoM are old geezers trying to relive their youth by ham-fistedly thrashing (and crashing) vehicles at speed on the mountain, and it shouldn't be the foundation of transport policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Are you sure you're up to the job and wouldn't be better off sticking with selling stamps ? 

Not all electric vehicles are in the domain of the wealthy compared to ICE. Normal cars aren't cheap. A low-end ICE Range Rover Evoque, a favourite of mums on the school run, starts at 34K and heads up well north of 50K. A Tesla model 3 starts at 38K, which is comparable, does 140mph, hits 0-60 in less than 6 seconds with a range of more than 250 miles.

If we're talking about licensed, excised vehicles, electric motorcycles and vehicles like the Citroen Ami (£19.99 a month on PCP) are inexpensive ICE replacements for commutes and short journeys, for junior to do the school run, or for grandma to do her shopping. You don't need to be Elon Musk, or able to afford one of his products, to swap an old-school ICE for a smaller EV. The technology is maturing fast, too. Electric motorcycles are already out-performing their ICE equivalents in certain market segments.

Other countries with a less-Edwardian infrastructure department run vehicle rental and sharing schemes, and have last-mile solutions such as electric scooter schemes. You'd have thought they'd do pretty well on a small island like ours where short journeys are the norm. Doesn't need to be just large EVs either. If paths and cycle paths were opened up to light license-free electric vehicles (like scooters) then the impact on traffic would be interesting. Instead of parents bussing teens about, they empower them to make their own journeys.

The comment about the range of EVs is a bit baffling on a small island where typical journeys are in the region of 20-30 miles and the typical range of EVs is close to ten times that range.

I understand that for a certain type of older gentlemen, owning a big engined ICE car is part of their identity, compensating for declining looks and performance in the trouser department, and they find any idea of emasculating their penis-substitute very threatening. But not all journeys on the IoM are old geezers trying to relive their youth by ham-fistedly thrashing (and crashing) vehicles at speed on the mountain, and it shouldn't be the foundation of transport policy.

You're making a great case for empowering Big Brother, owning nothing and being happy. No thanks, I like nice stuff, have no desire to signal my virtue* and have no problems in the trouser department.

* Saw a Nissan Leaf in traffic recently that apart from being manufacturer labelled as electric also had (peeling) lettering on the rear window reminding everyone it was fully electric.

3 hours ago, Anyone said:

So you agree that the officers in the DOI may be retarded. That should be a good start for you. Don’t dissemble this time , own what you post.

That's not a word I'd use, is a sweeping generalisation and complete nonsense as is normal for you. You really are disagreeable (happy to own that).

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

You're making a great case for empowering Big Brother, owning nothing and being happy. No thanks, I like nice stuff, have no desire to signal my virtue* and have no problems in the trouser department.

* Saw a Nissan Leaf in traffic recently that apart from being manufacturer labelled as electric also had (peeling) lettering on the rear window reminding everyone it was fully electric.

So what do you stand for? Just anti woke and anti electric car and just anti kind of everything you deem a bit left wing. Just what exactly is your agenda for change other than it’s a nice little earner for you given your age. What precisely do you really think you can change given no one before you has managed to make the slightest difference. Unless you have a cunning master plan.

9 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

That's not a word I'd use, is a sweeping generalisation and complete nonsense as is normal for you. You really are disagreeable (happy to own that).

Read back , I think you’ll find Wavy Davy described DOI as retarded . You said that may be right. 

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Owning an EV isn't *just* about virtue-signaling. That's a worrying oversimplification for someone involved in infrastructure to make, and you're making a great case for questioning your fitness for the job. Even someone seeking to *own* a fast car right now would be better off with the raw performance of a Tesla than the older, slower, high maintenance ICE equivalent, even if you just look at the performance numbers alone. 

There's no statement in my post that there is no place for owning vehicles, and for renting them without reducing that to "owning nothing". Anyone is free to own a big throbbing ICE penis substitute, a faster Tesla, buy an electric motorcycle, or rent a scooter for a run into town, and  it doesn't mean that we've somehow dropped into "1984" and you don't need to be threatened by that.

It's just that the market is changing, technology is moving on and people are moving with the times, just as they did when they moved away from steam to ICE. Electric is already faster, less polluting to the urban environment and open to a wider range of vehicle users than ICE ever was. People are just buying-in to a better product.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Fine. You used to imply in your Manx Radio days some MHK’s were in it for the money only although you never named them. I wonder now which ones are in it purely for the money. 

9 hours ago, The Bastard said:

you can pick up a perfectly serviceable used ICE car for a family of 4 for a few of grand , you can't do that with electric yet. also all these range figures are optimal under perfect conditions,  once you add in hills and rain and minus temperatures the range decreases quite a bit,  then if you start putting your foot down it goes down even more,  i would agree for a commute to work or trip to the shops electric is ok,  but if you expect to do 250 miles on a single charge on the isle of man you are going to be very disappointed , especially in winter with lights, heater and wipers all consuming the power too. one of my vehicles will do over 500 miles and almost get to 600 on a full tank of diesel if i stay below 60mph everywhere

Edited by WTF