Mini reshuffle

John Wright

9 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Are you sure you're up to the job and wouldn't be better off sticking with selling stamps ? 

Not all electric vehicles are in the domain of the wealthy compared to ICE. Normal cars aren't cheap. A low-end ICE Range Rover Evoque, a favourite of mums on the school run, starts at 34K and heads up well north of 50K. A Tesla model 3 starts at 38K, which is comparable, does 140mph, hits 0-60 in less than 6 seconds with a range of more than 250 miles.

If we're talking about licensed, excised vehicles, electric motorcycles and vehicles like the Citroen Ami (£19.99 a month on PCP) are inexpensive ICE replacements for commutes and short journeys, for junior to do the school run, or for grandma to do her shopping. You don't need to be Elon Musk, or able to afford one of his products, to swap an old-school ICE for a smaller EV. The technology is maturing fast, too. Electric motorcycles are already out-performing their ICE equivalents in certain market segments.

Other countries with a less-Edwardian infrastructure department run vehicle rental and sharing schemes, and have last-mile solutions such as electric scooter schemes. You'd have thought they'd do pretty well on a small island like ours where short journeys are the norm. Doesn't need to be just large EVs either. If paths and cycle paths were opened up to light license-free electric vehicles (like scooters) then the impact on traffic would be interesting. Instead of parents bussing teens about, they empower them to make their own journeys.

The comment about the range of EVs is a bit baffling on a small island where typical journeys are in the region of 20-30 miles and the typical range of EVs is close to ten times that range.

I understand that for a certain type of older gentlemen, owning a big engined ICE car is part of their identity, compensating for declining looks and performance in the trouser department, and they find any idea of emasculating their penis-substitute very threatening. But not all journeys on the IoM are old geezers trying to relive their youth by ham-fistedly thrashing (and crashing) vehicles at speed on the mountain, and it shouldn't be the foundation of transport policy.

Wouldn't you  be better off  trying to be less offensive ?

"wealth" is relative ,that said I'm quite happy to be driving my well maintained Skoda .

I also  choose to ride a vintage motorcycle  thanks .

You may choose to drive a swanky EV , don't have a problem with that but do not presume to instruct others to make the same choices , hope this helps.

Your last paragraph demonstrates that you 'understand' very little ( you provide no evidence for your assertions )

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

you can pick up a perfectly serviceable used ICE car for a family of 4 for a few of grand , you can't do that with electric yet. also all these range figures are optimal under perfect conditions,  once you add in hills and rain and minus temperatures the range decreases quite a bit,  then if you start putting your foot down it goes down even more,  i would agree for a commute to work or trip to the shops electric is ok,  but if you expect to do 250 miles on a single charge on the isle of man you are going to be very disappointed , especially in winter with lights, heater and wipers all consuming the power too. one of my vehicles will do over 500 miles and almost get to 600 on a full tank of diesel if i stay below 60mph everywhere

You can also pick up a used EV for a few grand. Check out Ebay if you don't believe me.

I understand your concerns about range and low temperatures but on the tiny IoM, range isn't really a concern. We only do short journeys here, to the point that vehicles actually suffer from mechanical complications because of it. When you get back from your range-pushing 10 miles to Peel, plug the car in. Maybe even plug it in whilst you're buying your kipper bap.

According to calculations for a Tesla group, using windscreen wipers shortens the range by 0.006 miles on a full charge. Adding heating and lights shortens it by 5.16 miles. Range is affected by water resistance on the roads in a similar way to any other vehicle.

A Tesla typically costs less around £15 for a full charge, but the equivalent range in diesel costs many times that - over the lifetime of a car, this cost difference can far outweigh the initial investment in the car for a frequent user.

Interesting link on costs : https://www.uswitch.com/electric-car/ev-charging/what-is-the-lifetime-cost-of-an-electric-vehicle/

Edited by The Bastard

4 minutes ago, paswt said:

Wouldn't you  be better off  trying to be less offensive ?

"wealth" is relative ,that said I'm quite happy to be driving my well maintained Skoda .

I also  choose to ride a vintage motorcycle  thanks .

You may choose to drive a swanky EV , don't have a problem with that but do not presume to instruct others to make the same choices , hope this helps.

Your last paragraph demonstrates that you 'understand' very little ( you provide no evidence for your assertions )

Clearly I touched a nerve in that last paragraph with you :)

It's not me that's "instructing" people to use EVs, society and the industry is changing to use them.

You're pretty insulting for someone who complains in the first line about trying to be "less offensive".

Edited by The Bastard

1 hour ago, The Bastard said:

A Tesla typically costs less around £15 for a full charge, but the equivalent range in diesel costs many times that - over the lifetime of a car, this cost difference can far outweigh the initial investment in the car for a frequent user.

That's because everybody else (including people who can't afford their own car) is subsidising your fuel cost. Enjoy it while you can, as EVs become more mainstream the cost of fuel for them will rise exponentially.

I like that whacky Elon fella and would like to support him. I drove the original Tesla Roadster and gave it a positive (pun alert) review. But my glorious V8 Merc cost me £10k five years ago and is probably worth not much less today, and is the pinnacle of automobile engineering excellence. Ludicrous Mode in a Tesla would make me vomit and is antisocial.

I understand what you're saying, but there's just something about design excellence and craftsmanship. I wear a £200 solar atomic watch which is accurate to a second in a million years. But what I really lust after is a Breitling or Omega which is a worse machine but the pinnacle of mechanical perfection.

22 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

my glorious V8 Merc cost me £10k five years ago and is probably worth not much less today

If it's an M156 engine make sure the head bolts have been replaced with aftermarket/newer ones. The standard ones are made of cheese and can result in the head lifting off the block. If it does it's a replacement engine job. 

52 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

That's because everybody else (including people who can't afford their own car) is subsidising your fuel cost. Enjoy it while you can, as EVs become more mainstream the cost of fuel for them will rise exponentially.

I like that whacky Elon fella and would like to support him. I drove the original Tesla Roadster and gave it a positive (pun alert) review. But my glorious V8 Merc cost me £10k five years ago and is probably worth not much less today, and is the pinnacle of automobile engineering excellence. Ludicrous Mode in a Tesla would make me vomit and is antisocial.

I understand what you're saying, but there's just something about design excellence and craftsmanship. I wear a £200 solar atomic watch which is accurate to a second in a million years. But what I really lust after is a Breitling or Omega which is a worse machine but the pinnacle of mechanical perfection.

Umm, the "fuel" for EVs is electricity. It's no different to the electricity that boils your kettle, plays your 78s, powers your wingback electric recliner and heats your Horlicks. You can't increase the "cost of fuel" for electric vehicles without also increasing the cost of fuel for heat pumps, for lights, heating, cooking and the rest.

Fuel duty will become an anachronism with the changes being driven by society and the motor industry, but "electricity duty" is not the inevitable consequence. It'll be picked up by other taxation, not by an alternate fuel tax, just like there's no "fresh air tax" now that the number of smokers has reduced with the subsequent loss of taxation from tobacco.

Edited by The Bastard

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

He thinks he is.  The man who sold it to him said it was made up of proper atoms n'everything.

Syncs with the atomic clocks - but you knew that all along!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Umm, the "fuel" for EVs is electricity. It's no different to the electricity that boils your kettle, plays your 78s, powers your wingback electric recliner and heats your Horlicks. You can't increase the "cost of fuel" for electric vehicles without also increasing the cost of fuel for heat pumps, for lights, heating, cooking and the rest.

Fuel duty will become an anachronism with the changes being driven by society and the motor industry, but "electricity duty" is not the inevitable consequence. It'll be picked up by other taxation, not by an alternate fuel tax, just like there's no "fresh air tax" now that the number of smokers has reduced with the subsequent loss of taxation from tobacco.

if we all went EV the duty lost on liquid fuels and the vehicle licence/road tax ( what ever the wanker of the day wants to call it )  would require a new EV  tax of 30 - 50 quid a week at least, probably more.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, WTF said:

if we all went EV the duty lost on liquid fuels and the vehicle licence/road tax ( what ever the wanker of the day wants to call it )  would require a new EV  tax of 30 - 50 quid a week at least, probably more.

EVs will become the norm in the next couple of decades, so it's an inevitable problem that governments need to tackle. If you've not just randomly conjured up those figures out of your head, would be interested to see your source for the figures on your new "EV tax". I don't pay £2600 currently for my fuel and VED for each of my vehicles, so wouldn't need to pay £50 a week to fill a taxation hole that doesn't exist.

Just like cigarettes, ICEs are carcinogenic polluters that place a burden on society, but losing duty on consumption makes a "hole" in finances that needs to be found elsewhere.

EVs are the direction that the industry is moving, and will eventually be VED taxed like any other vehicle, but the fuel duty loss isn't so simple. In other jurisdictions they'll be talking about things like taxation per mile for all vehicles, road tolls and the like, which focus on individual consumption in a similar way to fuel duty.

It's a difficult balancing act for any responsible government, and there's lots of commentary around whether solutions like that would unfairly disadvantage those living in isolated communities without good public transport, so there's a good deal of thinking still to be done on it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

If it's an M156 engine make sure the head bolts have been replaced with aftermarket/newer ones. The standard ones are made of cheese and can result in the head lifting off the block. If it does it's a replacement engine job. 

M113, but thanks. Biggest problem so far has been the ABC suspension, which is quite brilliant but expensive to repair.

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Every time I come anywhere near seeing eye to eye with you on a subject you then parrot some unhinged conspiracy bollocks.

Please stop that.

Of course I'm quoting Huxley in Brave New World but its apparent in so many areas - personal leases on cars, subscription services on software and hardware,  people being forced to rent because they can't afford to buy. Ownership is becoming a thing of the past so I'm not taking an ideological position. Eye to eye - the world has just moved on its axis!

• Like 1