Mini reshuffle

John Wright

14 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Of course I'm quoting Huxley in Brave New World but its apparent in so many areas - personal leases on cars, subscription services on software and hardware,  people being forced to rent because they can't afford to buy. Ownership is becoming a thing of the past so I'm not taking an ideological position. Eye to eye - the world has just moved on its axis!

If your aversion is to people being forced into borrowing large sums of money from very wealthy corporations in exchange for "owning" (leasing) goods, then we agree. It's unfortunate that the phrase you used was the one used by alarmists who think that the WEF is trying to turn the world into a communist utopia!

2 hours ago, The Bastard said:

EVs will become the norm in the next couple of decades, so it's an inevitable problem that governments need to tackle. If you've not just randomly conjured up those figures out of your head, would be interested to see your source for the figures on your new "EV tax". I don't pay £2600 currently for my fuel and VED for each of my vehicles, so wouldn't need to pay £50 a week to fill a taxation hole that doesn't exist.

Just like cigarettes, ICEs are carcinogenic polluters that place a burden on society, but losing duty on consumption makes a "hole" in finances that needs to be found elsewhere.

EVs are the direction that the industry is moving, and will eventually be VED taxed like any other vehicle, but the fuel duty loss isn't so simple. In other jurisdictions they'll be talking about things like taxation per mile for all vehicles, road tolls and the like, which focus on individual consumption in a similar way to fuel duty.

It's a difficult balancing act for any responsible government, and there's lots of commentary around whether solutions like that would unfairly disadvantage those living in isolated communities without good public transport, so there's a good deal of thinking still to be done on it.

the numbers were a quick out my arse ,  if you're doing 5 miles to work and back once a day then yes, no need for 50 quid a week,  but if you are using for business that involves a lot of driving and have a 350 quid a year to tax vehicle now thats 7 quid a week in vehicle licence to start with, another 40 or 50 quid a week on fuel which a LOT of the price of is duty and vat and i guess you are between 30 and 40 quid a week in taxes and duty etc .  just depends what your current usage is really , it is a combination of no fuel duty coming in as well as  vehicle licencing fees that need to be considered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

Here stu, maybe you should actually read the book? Here's a link to a variety of formats, or you can ask nicely and I'll give you a paper copy.

https://fb2bookfree.com/fiction/1196-brave-new-world.html

Stop making things up, and claiming you're quoting. You did that with the rapists mum the other week.

I've read the book, and watched the TV series. If I've attributed incorrectly I apologise.

Edited by Stu Peters
Just checked and it was the WEF coined the phrase. Don't tell Helix, were enjoying a truce.
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I've read the book, and watched the TV series. If I've attributed incorrectly I apologise.

Saying 'if you are wrong you apologise', is as you know not an apology it's just pure cowardly snidey cunt stuff. Now that might be what you think being a politician is, but it's not being a good one.

2 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Saying 'if you are wrong you apologise', is as you know not an apology it's just pure cowardly snidey cunt stuff. Now that might be what you think being a politician is, but it's not being a good one.

Of course it's an apology, you foul-mouthed weirdo freak. What's your problem with me that you need to stalk me? What do you know about being a good politician? Was it your Leaf I saw in traffic? Whatever it was that I did to offend you so much, please tell me so I can do it some more.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

Of course it's an apology, you foul-mouthed weirdo freak. What's your problem with me that you need to stalk me? What do you know about being a good politician? Was it your Leaf I saw in traffic? Whatever it was that I did to offend you so much, please tell me so I can do it some more.

I don't get offended by clowns.

17 hours ago, HeliX said:

Not to worry, I've just seen your IOM Newspapers article and completed a full house on "bullshit bingo" as a result :)

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/opinion/immigration-should-be-controlled-568548

Immigrant paid £70K per year to achieve nothing says "immigration should be controlled" as it's "siphoning up vast resources that should be spent on our own pensioners and disadvantaged."

Well him and his mates are doing a pretty good job of increasing the number of disadvantaged and not spending the vast resources that should be spent on them - at the same time as trying to encourage tens of thousands of immigrants.

I think he's right, we are going to hell in a handcart, but the reason is rather closer to home than he realises.

• Like 1

"The Britain our parents fought and sacrificed for"

The Isle of Man is not part of Britain, however, fine if you are referring people who were actually residents of or born in Great Britain.

I do like the irony though of that statement when compared to "glorious burbling German V8".

Did the parents of Britain fight and sacrifice their lives so you could drive a German car?  The same company that was happily producing engines for German aircraft to bomb Britain?

I know they have since admitted their links to the Nazis and moved on with the rest of the world but still...

Hell of a way to repay the sacrifice of life.  You should be buying British. 

• Confused 1

On 10/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, Stu Peters said:

M113, but thanks. Biggest problem so far has been the ABC suspension, which is quite brilliant but expensive to repair.

Of course I'm quoting Huxley in Brave New World but its apparent in so many areas - personal leases on cars, subscription services on software and hardware,  people being forced to rent because they can't afford to buy. Ownership is becoming a thing of the past so I'm not taking an ideological position. Eye to eye - the world has just moved on its axis!

Well that made sense , but not to me. Just proves never trust the electorate.