Mini reshuffle

John Wright

2 hours ago, Declan said:

But it's tax for using a vehicle not for using the roads - not all road users pay the tax. So you're actually being less clear. 

Which pomposity does not change the fact that vehicle owners that pay it call it "road tax" or "car tax" and not any nonsense like "V11" or similar...

• Like 1

Quilp - possibly Stu's the first person I've not got on hide that mentioned it!

But as this post illustrates, he's bizarrely obsessed with it - 

18 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

And the understanding from the outset is that I WILL be a champion for everyone who pays road tax and is getting sidelined in favour of shiny 'schemes'.

Call it what you want I dont care. Its something I have to pay , sometimes reluctantly, to use in many cases on badly maintained roads. I guess the real reason they tweaked the name was to get them out of properly looking after the roads and avoiding the argument as to what do they do with the obscene income they receive . When we all know its syphoned of to help with the public sector pension deficit. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

People call it different things. Not sure why Stu's making a big fuss about it. 

Its dog whistling, the taxi drivers and aggressive old fat bellends on face book all love to go on about how cyclists shouldn't be on the roads unless they pay this mythical  'road tax'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Mr Crookall answered a question about how much was spent on road maintenance a few months ago, it was a shockingly low figure.

How much is spent on 'active travel' and where did that money come from?

From the general taxation pot. 

It would be cool if they increased the tax on car ownership and ring-fenced that money for greener travel initiatives but they don’t because that would be political suicide. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

From the general taxation pot. 

It would be cool if they increased the tax on car ownership and ring-fenced that money for greener travel initiatives but they don’t because that would be political suicide. 

It’s likely many taxes will go  up in UK eg car tax, booze, fags , fuel etc so no doubt our will as well

Declan,

What do you call green travel initiatives? What would replace wagons? Or tractors? Or personal family transport? (Don't say discredited expensive electric cars).

How does one get a family's shopping for the week? How do tradesmen carry their tools and equipment to sites?

Bear in mind our weather, terrain and distances between the villages and the main shopping centres.

How do folk with mobility issues or aged people or folk with children get around? 

I'm sure that you have all the answers to these questions?

• Like 7