Mini reshuffle

John Wright

Just now, Jarndyce said:

I’m intrigued - how does a priest drive?

It’s a phrase that indicates driving carefully with gentle acceleration, not speeding, anticipatory braking etc. It’s not descriptive of how priests actually drive which for all I know could be high on coke while receiving gentleman’s relief from a choirboy in the passenger seat. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Declan said:

To be fair, it wasn't really intended as a practical suggestion. 

Sadly we've built our society around the car, and people have become addicted to them.

BUT if it was possible - it would apply to personal vehicles (including electric - they're still cars), so tradesmen could keep their vans. And obviously there would need to be exceptions for medical need. 

In terms of shopping, I hope a decrease in car ownership would see a rebirth in village and corner shops. But maybe a modern solution would be delivery services. 

Improved public transport, which would be more viable if there was more demand, would solve most of your issues. (You'd have mini-buses around the villages or estates). But increasingly communities would thrive and services would be provided locally. Increasing jobs in the local community and more people moving to WFH would reduce the need to have a car. 

But unfortunately that's just a pipe dream.

Makes you wonder how Victorians managed to build all that stuff when the grumpy snowflakes bemoan how they can't work without a van.

Alternatives exist even for large items, but of course this should not be about zero carbon travel but massively reducing polluting trips and this stuff could happen now with improved logistics. We have local companies using massive vans every day regardless of the size of load, and vans driving to Douglas full and then back to Ramsey empty when other vans do the reverse, so much inefficiency. 

The same works with car journeys, how many people drive into Douglas in a massive car with just them in there, or those who drive home, stopping off at the gym to walk on a treadmill rather than just walk home. 

For those who say it too wet to walk or cycle the answer is goretex and not being a snowflake.

Edited by HiVibes
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Makes you wonder how Victorians managed to build all that stuff when the grumpy snowflakes bemoan how they can't work without a van.

Alternatives exist even for large items, but of course this should not be about zero carbon travel but massively reducing polluting trips and this stuff could happen now with improved logistics. We have local companies using massive vans every day regardless of the size of load, and vans driving to Douglas full and then back to Ramsey empty when other vans do the reverse, so much inefficiency. 

The same works with car journeys, how many people drive into Douglas in a massive car with just them in there, or those who drive home, stopping off at the gym to walk on a treadmill rather than just walk home. 

For those who say it too wet to walk or cycle the answer is goretex and not being a snowflake.

When you grow up and pass your car test and work to save up and buy a car you'll probably have a different opinion. If you're not throwing soup at a Picasso.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

When you grow up and pass your car test and work to save up and buy a car you'll probably have a different opinion. If you're not throwing soup at a Picasso.

When your elected representative doesn’t know the difference between a Van Gough & a Picasso

BBC7742A-DFAA-46ED-B613-B46A283D08FF.jpeg

7AB77FD7-12AF-4DF0-8D29-45EBCB24964C.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Looks more like a Jackson Pollock.

Although to be fair if they'd left the soup in the tin it would have been more Warhol-esque. And been more effective. And the soup would still have been eatable.

Edited by Declan

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

My wife used to drive to the gym in Mount Murray.  We live in Mount Murray!  Although to be fair to her, she could do a sub 3 hour marathon. 

I can attest that riding in high wind and rain is a particularly hateful experience, goretex or not.  Although I will do it a couple of times a year on purpose, just so no one deems me a snowflake and I can reassure myself I'm not a pussy. 

Running in the wind and rain however is fine.  In fact it makes it slightly more interesting and I run more in the winter because of this. 

• Like 2