Mini reshuffle

John Wright

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

If you're not throwing soup at a Picasso.

Touche. I'm probably going to parrot that at some point.  Alternatives are 'milking Harrods'?

Rather brilliantly I saw someone was shooting fireworks at the hippies up Dartford Bridge. 

33 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

When you grow up and pass your car test and work to save up and buy a car you'll probably have a different opinion. If you're not throwing soup at a Picasso.

Politics of the playground there, I own a car thanks I just I make intelligent decisions about when to drive it. It takes me 10 minutes to cycle into town in the morning or I could spend 20 minutes, stuck in traffic with fat uglies in a car, I prefer cycling because I can.  I suppose if I were a fat old clumsy oaf like you I would stick with the tubby truck.

46 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Politics of the playground there, I own a car thanks I just I make intelligent decisions about when to drive it. It takes me 10 minutes to cycle into town in the morning or I could spend 20 minutes, stuck in traffic with fat uglies in a car, I prefer cycling because I can.  I suppose if I were a fat old clumsy oaf like you I would stick with the tubby truck.

And you're accusing ME of politics of the playground ?!? And who are the fat uglies in your car?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

It might be possible, just. You’d need to be getting 62 mpg or thereabouts to do it. I can get 40 in my car if I drive like a priest, so it’ll cost me £6.20. (Obviously this doesn’t include tax, insurance, depreciation, servicing which for a car like mine I guess is about £100 a week 😳)

I use red diesel in mine and haven't had it serviced since 1989, I don't bother with insurance and only tax it once every three years to avoid having it tested.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

My wife used to drive to the gym in Mount Murray.  We live in Mount Murray!  Although to be fair to her, she could do a sub 3 hour marathon. 

I can attest that riding in high wind and rain is a particularly hateful experience, goretex or not.  Although I will do it a couple of times a year on purpose, just so no one deems me a snowflake and I can reassure myself I'm not a pussy. 

Running in the wind and rain however is fine.  In fact it makes it slightly more interesting and I run more in the winter because of this. 

My neighbour drives to the gym in her four  by four (about three miles) and often boasts about doing 5K on the treadmill, which she tells me is the only machine she uses there.

So while free bus fares would be useful and appreciated by some, there are others on which the gesture would be totally wasted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Out of Luck, they have changed it to every two years now.

It's been two years as long as I can remember, but you get a years' tax when you tax it, so as long as you tax it every three years (minus one day) it doesn't need testing.

ETA. I should probably point out that I am only joking. 

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 6:54 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Moorhouse and maybe Craine are the only hold-outs, though Craine is comparatively new and I suppose Moorhouse is Minister for asking questions.  

Please not Moorhouse. I shouldn’t laugh but the current top comment under this article about Moorhouse’s aspirations, well, made me laugh.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/jason-moorhouse-mhk-i-want-change-567500

• Haha 1

For everything there is a season, cycling yesterday would have been a pleasure but today cyclists would have been a danger to themselves and other users.   According to the long range forecast it is going to rain every day next week so unless you are prepared to arrive a work half drowned you might consider the bus or other transport.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 7:55 PM, wrighty said:

This. I’d use public transport if there was always one waiting outside my house ready to take me wherever I wanted. Until then I’ll stick with the car. 

Typical wrong attitude and what is wrong with wealthy people like you. Make buses free or cheap and it’s a win win. Where I now live buses are frequent and cheap. It works well and we seldom use a car now. You just feel entitled like most of you rich types.

• Haha 1