Mini reshuffle

John Wright

16 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Typical wrong attitude and what is wrong with wealthy people like you. Make buses free or cheap and it’s a win win. Where I now live buses are frequent and cheap. It works well and we seldom use a car now. You just feel entitled like most of you rich types.

I’m all for making buses free. I’m still using my car though. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Typical wrong attitude and what is wrong with wealthy people like you. Make buses free or cheap and it’s a win win. Where I now live buses are frequent and cheap. It works well and we seldom use a car now. You just feel entitled like most of you rich types.

Typical view of the comrade who lives near the factory and has a handy bus service. You do realise we've a rural community, far from 'wealthy', which has no real option to personal transport.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Anyone said:

I would still drive if you paid me five quid a go to walk to the bus stop, wait for the bus, get on the bus, wait a stupidly long time while the bus drives me to Douglas, get off the bus, wait for the next bus, get off near(ish) to work, walk to work in the rain etc etc.

It simply doesn’t work for most people when compared to the convenience of your own vehicle and that is without me needing to go to other places in the day and takes passengers and equipment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Anyone said:

I can take a 1 hour 15 minute bus to get to my place of work (this is not including the two 25 min walks to the stop from my house, and from my work bus stop to my place of work) - or i can take my car and do the journey in maximum 20 minutes.

That is all done in Glasgow, an area which is fairly compact, has generally reliable busses and also a subway. There is no chance what you are suggesting is possible for most of the Manx population.

Out of interest can I enquire where it is you live that makes public transport so easy for you? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

I can take a 1 hour 15 minute bus to get to my place of work (this is not including the two 25 min walks to the stop from my house, and from my work bus stop to my place of work) - or i can take my car and do the journey in maximum 20 minutes.

That is all done in Glasgow, an area which is fairly compact, has generally reliable busses and also a subway. There is no chance what you are suggesting is possible for most of the Manx population.

Out of interest can I enquire where it is you live that makes public transport so easy for you? 

The isle of man is totally different to Glasgow which from my recollection is a complete shithole. The buses go the same speed as cars in morning traffic, and you are never more than a few minutes walk from a bus stop. The majority of population live walking or cycling distance from work, except those who choose to live in a rural location despite not doing a rural job. The growth in car use on such a small island is crazy, the streets are cluttered with these heaps of junk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

The isle of man is totally different to Glasgow which from my recollection is a complete shithole. 

Sure there is a whole thread about lovely Douglas being a shithole... those in glass houses and all that....

5 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

The buses go the same speed as cars in morning traffic

Suppose so... unless you have this wonderful thing called bus lanes.

5 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

The majority of population live walking or cycling distance from work

Nice fact, may I have your source please? Or is the source - because i said so.

6 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

The growth in car use on such a small island is crazy, the streets are cluttered with these heaps of junk. 

Is it crazy? So people who live in Ramsey should only work in Ramsey. People in Port Erin only in the South? Like it or lump it the majority of the economic faculties that the Island has is located in Douglas where the housing is not - the busses are unreliable. Cars are needed for the good majority of the population.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

The isle of man is totally different to Glasgow…

Jings!   Who knew?

9 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

…which from my recollection is a complete shithole.

Nah, you’ve strayed into fiction now - away and get back to helping people cheat at chess.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, HiVibes said:

For those who say it too wet to walk or cycle the answer is goretex and not being a snowflake.

Goretex is the IBM of the outdoor world to wit a very average product (personally I would mark it less than average) but with the best marketing machine in the business.

I once purchased a goretex jacket and sent it back when it quickly started to leak. They refused to refund my dosh because they claimed the reason it was leaking on the shoulders was down to wear probably caused by rucksack shoulder straps!

WTF???!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Manxweegie said:

Sure there is a whole thread about lovely Douglas being a shithole... those in glass houses and all that....

Suppose so... unless you have this wonderful thing called bus lanes.

Nice fact, may I have your source please? Or is the source - because i said so.

Is it crazy? So people who live in Ramsey should only work in Ramsey. People in Port Erin only in the South? Like it or lump it the majority of the economic faculties that the Island has is located in Douglas where the housing is not - the busses are unreliable. Cars are needed for the good majority of the population.

Ramsey is a town and quite rightly should have economic activity there if more development of houses is going ahead. We work in the digital age now and no reason why IOM government should not have offices in the north, west or south. Allowing that huge ever swelling development in Peel was a stupid idea as most of them commute to Douglas to work, and its not like it has made Peel a thriving local economy as they mainly shop in Tesco. 

The vast majority of the population do live in Douglas, Onchan and Braddan, where most people work, if you lived here you would know that. 

It is crazy that car usage is so pervasive and embedded in to the mindset that morons drive to the gym, sad anoraks 'go out for a drive' as an activity or 'do a lap'. I once worked at a company that provided parking spaces for managers on site, one manager lived a 5 minute walk away and he still fucking drove to work as otherwise he would 'lose his space'.

Moronic car use is indefensible yet some on here think it is a human right.

• Like 1