NO CREDIT CARDS FOR IOM RESIDENTS

Boris Johnson

30 minutes ago, Omobono said:

part of the problem is the Island has a useless debt recovery system the Coroners  pick and choose what they want to collect ,  and are lazy  they cant even collect outstanding parking fines , for government  . the only way to deal with this  is to allow the UK balliffs  to chase UK  banks  credit card or loan defaults or   debts  on the Isle of Man ,  we are becoming an economic  financial backwater  even to Depositors protection scheme  pays less than the UK  system ,  the Government have been going to introduce new debt recovery legislation  for years , so where is it ?  and while Jason is at it  a good  follow up question  would be why do  so many mail order and companies like Amazon refuse to sell or deliver goods to people in the isle of Man , I think there is a link !

Never had a problem with Amazon delivering 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Their dispatch time for a package to the IOM can be in excess of a week before they’ll hand over to Royal Mail, EVRI or DPD. Same items can be had next day or even same day in the mainland UK. 

Agree but that doesn’t really bother me. 
Marks & Spencer are the same!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Of course they can enforce and recover. How do NatWest International collect defaulting loans, mortgages, overdrafts?

But in the case of NWI the debt is with the offshore entity in their own jurisdictions eg Iom, credit card debt is with NatWest cards in UK ie different jurisdiction & other side of ring fence who have decided the cost & risks of enforcing are not worth it . Same as Amex, Tesco etc 

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

I’ve just read Hooper’s feeble comments on Twitter where he seems to be siding with the Banks, and kicking the whole issue into the ‘too difficult’ tray.

He has responsibility for Economic Development, and for creating the environment for economic growth. No one will bring their business, their family, their career here if they can’t get a Credit Card. He doesn’t seem to grasp that.

As John says, the Banks need telling. “Find a solution.” HSBC have managed it. The others should be given 12 months.

I agree with you, Hooper’s response is disappointing.

“What do you expect Government to do?” 

Well, I’m sure there’s some avenue through which they can discuss ways to make credit card offerings commercially viable here. They clearly used to be, otherwise none of us would have them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Same question as before as visa/Mastercard makes no difference, when did you first get any Lloyd's card?, as I said before put your postcode into the eligibility checker of the major uk card providers, HSBC excepted, and see what you get,

I didn't renew my credit card with Lloyds International and was later told they no longer issue them on the Island.

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

part of the problem is the Island has a useless debt recovery system the Coroners  pick and choose what they want to collect ,  and are lazy  they cant even collect outstanding parking fines , for government  . the only way to deal with this  is to allow the UK balliffs  to chase UK  banks  credit card or loan defaults or   debts  on the Isle of Man ,  we are becoming an economic  financial backwater  even to Depositors protection scheme  pays less than the UK  system ,  the Government have been going to introduce new debt recovery legislation  for years , so where is it ?  and while Jason is at it  a good  follow up question  would be why do  so many mail order and companies like Amazon refuse to sell or deliver goods to people in the isle of Man , I think there is a link !

The situation on recovering debts is the same as it ever was[1] (arguably a bit easier for companies because of electronic communication).    So there is no reason that things should change now.  An unwillingness to tackle the extra work arising from ring-fencing seems more likely.

As for Amazon, you may be confusing stuff delivered by their own system with where you have ordered from a seller selling through Amazon's marketplace but delivering themselves and possibly having contracts with couriers who don't cover the Island.

[1]  The Manx economy post-Revestment was practically built on UK gentlefolk such as Sir William Hilary. coming here to dodge their debts.  So it's not exactly a new situation.

37 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Their dispatch time for a package to the IOM can be in excess of a week before they’ll hand over to Royal Mail, EVRI or DPD. Same items can be had next day or even same day in the mainland UK. 

Not been that way for at least a month.

28 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Not been that way for at least a month.

My order history begs to differ. 

The two latest were both prime eligible sold by Amazon items. Both would dispatch same day with a UK address. 

One dispatched 3 days later. One dispatched 6 days after ordering. 

Delivery estimates are currently around the 18th November, or tomorrow, for the same items, with a UK address. 

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

They need telling, you want to offer banking services here you must offer a CC

What, you mean like regulating them, and punishing them if they break rules etc? They can't even do that in the UK properly.

Edited by Apple
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nellie said:

I’ve just read Hooper’s feeble comments on Twitter where he seems to be siding with the Banks, and kicking the whole issue into the ‘too difficult’ tray.

Feeble is right.

He asks 'what would he like government to do'? about comments made by Mr Moorehouse.

Well Mr Hooper that depends on why credit card companies are not issuing cards. That really needs to be clearly established. Until you fully understand what the issue actually is you cannot hope to solve it. I don't know what the problem is but

If it is because of some arcane law then I'd like the government to repeal it.

If its because of some other weird regulatory thing then I'd like government to fix the regulation. 

If it is (as has been suggested) the difficulties in recovering debts then make it easier for them, 

If it is some entirely commercial reason that the card issuers have made I'd like government - probably the Department for Enterprise - to make representations to the firms on behalf of the residents to change the situation.

It shouldn't be very hard to know what people would like you to do, that's what you are supposed to 'get' as an elected representative of those people.

Hooper is an awful awful politician.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Feeble is right.

He asks 'what would he like government to do'? about comments made by Mr Moorehouse.

Well Mr Hooper that depends on why credit card companies are not issuing cards. That really needs to be clearly established. Until you fully understand what the issue actually is you cannot hope to solve it. I don't know what the problem is but

If it is because of some arcane law then I'd like the government to repeal it.

If its because of some other weird regulatory thing then I'd like government to fix the regulation. 

If it is (as has been suggested) the difficulties in recovering debts then make it easier for them, 

If it is some entirely commercial reason that the card issuers have made I'd like government - probably the Department for Enterprise - to make representations to the firms on behalf of the residents to change the situation.

It shouldn't be very hard to know what people would like you to do, that's what you are supposed to 'get' as an elected representative of those people.

Hooper is an awful awful politician.

Awful, Useless and Inept. 

A problem like this requires grown up problem solving, representation of residents and those who use credit cards. If the financial sector on the island had issues, Hooperman would be jumping into action competing with other useless Ministers like a competition as to who is the finance sectors saviour. There clearly are issues which need resolving unfortunately Hooperman and IOMG have merely shrugged their shoulders, with a ‘not my problem guv we can’t do anything’ attitude.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Banker said:

Hooper says on Twitter what does he expect government to do? They can’t force anyone to issue credit cards if they don’t want to 

I expect empathy and real recognition of the issue. If a certain sector of business had issues arising from policy issues in the UK you can bet your bottom dollar, CM Cannan will take action on the grounds of national importance. 

• Like 1