NO CREDIT CARDS FOR IOM RESIDENTS

Boris Johnson

2 minutes ago, snowman said:

If you want to forgego Section 75 protection or points that's up to you.

Credit cards are preferred for car hire

I don’t buy much online. And I have money to pay for stuff. I haven’t had a credit card for years. A pre loaded card is fine for hire cars. I just leave enough on it to cover the bill. If they take more it maxes out. They can only take what’s loaded onto it. 

1 hour ago, BriT said:

I don’t buy much online. And I have money to pay for stuff. I haven’t had a credit card for years. A pre loaded card is fine for hire cars. I just leave enough on it to cover the bill. If they take more it maxes out. They can only take what’s loaded onto it. 

Many airlines do not accept pre loaded cards in the aircraft.  One example is Easyjet. When transactions happen ( especially mid flight ) they cannot verify if you have funds in your account. 

Standard debit cards have a guarantee from the bank.

Another issue is fuel where you pay at the pump..They take much more than what you have actually used and refund it later. (Just like hire cars )

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, genericUserName said:

HSBC

You don't need to have a premier account to get a hsbc credit card in the IOM

Also as far as I know you don't even need an account in HSBC isle of man.

Obviously you have to have a decent credit rating and be resident here..( 1 year address in IOM but obviously the longer it is the better.) 

https://ciiom.hsbc.com/credit-cards/

Edited by mad_manx

7 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Another issue is fuel where you pay at the pump..They take much more than what you have actually used and refund it later. (Just like hire cars )

That has never ever happened to me at all. Just been halfway around Europe this summer with a Wise pre pay card not had one issue at all anywhere.

1 hour ago, BriT said:

That has never ever happened to me at all. Just been halfway around Europe this summer with a Wise pre pay card not had one issue at all anywhere.

Can confirm that Easyjet crew had been trained to watch out for revolut / monzo and were not allowing people to use it for in flight purchases.  If it says prepaid then they will not accept it..

This was as of last year.  I don't know if rules have changed this year..

The payment may go through if they don't spot it but the airline has the risk that they may not get any money off the customer if the account is zero .

There is no card verification while in flight..

I understand that drinks/ food etc in flight in  airlines is overpriced  but sometimes it's the only option when one is travelling on tight connections and don't have time to eat and drink in transit airports..

PS: Looks like TUI / Aer lingus is also doing this. And before anyone says why don't you pay in cash I'll remind you that most airlines don't accept cash these days. 

Edited by mad_manx

1 hour ago, BriT said:

Did you use pay at pump or pay at till ..Funds get blocked £100++ for several days even if you fill for say £30 .

This is if you pay at pump .. Paying at a physical till inside where someone is there  is fine.. 

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Can confirm that Easyjet crew had been trained to watch out for revolut / monzo and were not allowing people to use it for in flight purchases.  If it says prepaid then they will not accept it..

This was as of last year.  I don't know if rules have changed this year..

The payment may go through if they don't spot it but the airline has the risk that they may not get any money off the customer if the account is zero .

There is no card verification while in flight..

I understand that drinks/ food etc OK airlines is overpriced  but sometimes it's the only option when one is travelling on tight connections and don't have time to eat and drink in transit airports..

PS: Looks like TUI / Aer lingus is also doing this.

You are absolutely correct. Some cards allow 'offline' transactions and some don't. Some of the more recent card readers will decline a card that doesn't do offline. This is usually because the bank won't allow the cardholder to go into an overdraft because e.g. they're under 18.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 7:37 PM, genericUserName said:

A car is a liability and a depreciating asset. The same as credit cards - buying on finance only makes any sense if you are paying it off without ever paying any interest or fees.

Again, not at the moment.

A 6 month old car that has all its computer chips is worth far more than an order for the end of next year for a car that might turn up on time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, mad_manx said:

PS: Looks like TUI / Aer lingus is also doing this. And before anyone says why don't you pay in cash I'll remind you that most airlines don't accept cash these days.

Sounds fair enough.  Why not just use your debit card?  I am struggling to see an issue unless someone is wanting to buy something on a flight with money that don’t have?