NO CREDIT CARDS FOR IOM RESIDENTS

Boris Johnson

9 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Again, not at the moment.

A 6 month old car that has all its computer chips is worth far more than an order for the end of next year for a car that might turn up on time.

100 percent.  Anyone who currently thinks all cars are a depreciating asset needs to update their knowledge for 2022

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

100 percent.  Anyone who currently thinks all cars are a depreciating asset needs to update their knowledge for 2022

A depreciating asset has a limited life and decreases in value as it approaches end of life.

Short term price fluctuations based upon supply chain issues do not change that definition.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

A depreciating asset has a limited life and decreases in value as it approaches end of life.

Short term price fluctuations based upon supply chain issues do not change that definition.

You might be right.  Fact is most cars are appreciating, not depreciating at the moment and have been for months

4 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Sounds fair enough.  Why not just use your debit card?  I am struggling to see an issue unless someone is wanting to buy something on a flight with money that don’t have?

Debit cards are usually linked to your current  account in the bank.  And if compromised the hackers can drain your bank account .

You can of course transfer funds into a savings account in the same bank ans leave smaller amounts in current account..

But if there is a account compromise then it can be a hassle with direct debits etc ..

I try not to use a debit card anywhere except on an odd occasion where I need to withdraw cash ..Even then its safer to top up a pre pay card and withdraw using that.

The other alternative is to have an account with another bank and transfer small amounts to it as and when needed . Use this card for online / shop transactions to protect your main banking  account..  Also remember to cancel any overdraft facility if its automatically given.

All this is only if there is no possibility of getting  a credit card..There is far more protection with a credit card than with  debit cards.

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Debit cards are usually linked to your current  account in the bank.  And if compromised the hackers can drain your bank account .

You can of course transfer funds into a savings account in the same bank ans leave smaller amounts in current account..

But if there is a account compromise then it can be a hassle with direct debits etc ..

I try not to use a debit card anywhere except on an odd occasion where I need to withdraw cash ..Even then its safer to top up a pre pay card and withdraw using that.

The other alternative is to have an account with another bank and transfer small amounts to it as and when needed . Use this card for online / shop transactions to protect your main banking  account..  Also remember to cancel any overdraft facility if its automatically given.

All this is only if there is no possibility of getting  a credit card..There is far more protection with a credit card than with  debit cards.

Fair enough.  I have used a debit card god knows however many times a week for 20 years plus and never had an issue.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:19 PM, woolley said:

This rings a very loud déjà vu bell with me. Didn't they do this in the 90s? Or it could have been another locally licensed operator. The card was silver and might have been simply called "ManxCard" or something, but it was a standard credit card (Visa or Master) that you could use anywhere.  Obviously died for some reason.

Yes I recall that too. Was probably too expensive to administer, along with jurisdictional/legal issues.

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

You haven't seen mine🤣

Quite right. There's not a chance mine is appreciating. It's not appreciated either, goddam thing COSTS. I've spent the same in the last two months taxing, insuring and fitting it out with some new shoes as the car itself cost me two and half years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowman said:

sounds like you haven't left the island for 20 years plus

Haven't heard of cards being cloned on island but have seen newspaper reports of people arrested after being found with those equipment over here .

It's quite common across and overseas Almost all the "hacking" that I've had  happened  at cash machines and at tills (Small shops/ fuel pumps)are where  I've had cards compromised.

Moving on to contactless / Google pay has actually reduced the incidence in my case .

Also shield your pin at cash machines. Even if they clone your card It's not as useful for the scammers unless they have your PIN.

So covering  the hand entering  the  pin with the other hand is one method which is supposed to help.. They will most likely move to the next card they have details of instead of trying to crack your pin ( i.e if they don't get all 4 numbers) as the cards will get blocked with multiple wrong inputs ..

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Quite right. There's not a chance mine is appreciating. It's not appreciated either, goddam thing COSTS. I've spent the same in the last two months taxing, insuring and fitting it out with some new shoes as the car itself cost me two and half years ago. 

I think most of the  the appreciation is for those who bought the car new in the last few years.  Will be likely to be under warranty and so minimal costs so far .

Edited by mad_manx

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

I think most of the  the appreciation is for those who bought the car new in the last few years.  Will be likely to be under warranty and so minimal costs so far .

Used cars are also going up.  Certain models at three or four years old are back up to what they cost when they were new

• Like 1

In my experience, when my credit card was cloned, it was a minor inconvenience. The charges were wiped off with a phone call and the card re-issued.

Interestingly, one was at a petrol station in the UK with pay at pump at a major and busy supermarket.

When I've had similar experiences with debit cards, it takes much longer before the money in your account is refunded or accessible again.