NO CREDIT CARDS FOR IOM RESIDENTS

Boris Johnson

2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

In my experience, when my credit card was cloned, it was a minor inconvenience. The charges were wiped off with a phone call and the card re-issued.

Interestingly, one was at a petrol station in the UK with pay at pump at a major and busy supermarket.

When I've had similar experiences with debit cards, it takes much longer before the money in your account is refunded or accessible again.

Had a similar experience and that's why I never use the debit card of my main bank account ( the one where I get paid/ direct debits set up etc ) .

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes that's good advice. If you have on line banking, move all you money into a savings account and only keep a float

Yes...but dont forget the overdraft facility..Some banks automatically have it and keep it open until you ask them to cancel it.  And if your account is compromised then the scammers can access more funds than you have. 

I suppose  Its a nice earner for  the banks  when someone goes into overdraft  😉

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Apple said:

Still using my Amex - used it yesterday in fact. 

I don't think Amex charge cards are going anywhere. Credit cards are a different case. Since the charge cards are cleared monthly, the exposure is small, compared to a credit card where many thousands may be accrued. 

From what I have heard there is an issue with the Visa clearing system, rather than anything to do with debt. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 10:22 AM, Apple said:

Still using my Amex - used it yesterday in fact. 

And they have just sent me a new one valid  till 2028 as my old one had expired 

Also the shop small offers when they are on  still include many isle of man shops and restaurants.  

However there was a recent email about update to terms and conditions which said about being a UK resident 

So perhaps I might get a notice of cancellation  soon 

It's a shame as I've had an Amex for over 15 years 

Edited by mad_manx

23 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

And they have just sent me a new one valid  till 2028 as my old one had expired 

Also the shop small offers when they are on  still include many isle of man shops and restaurants.  

However there was a recent email about update to terms and conditions which said about being a UK resident 

So perhaps I might get a notice of cancellation  soon 

It's a shame as I've had an Amex for over 15 years 

They’re not cancelling existing cards just not issuing new ones, same with other card issuers 

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

They’re not cancelling existing cards just not issuing new ones, same with other card issuers 

Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish ladies, (alt: "...to Spanish ladies")
Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain; (alt: "...to ladies of Spain;")

etc, etc etc..............................😆

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1