NO CREDIT CARDS FOR IOM RESIDENTS

Boris Johnson

37 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Why are people continuing to get aggro over the reasons? The fact is most dont offer them so why continue with these petty squabbles? What purpose does it serve and whats going to change?

Because, in this case anyway, the reasons matter.  If the banks are legally unable to provide credit cards, then only legal changes will improve things.  If it's because of difficulty in enforcing collection, then that could be improved.  If the Banks simply can't be bothered, then political pressure can be applied both here and in the UK.  But this requires finding out what the actual reason is, not just what is being claimed.

Of course that's no excuse for pointless squabbling, especially when posters are basically in agreement with each other.  And when the squabbles distract from finding out what the situation actually is, because people are more interested in 'winning' the spat than determining the truth, then such squabbles are actively harmful.  But equally that's no reason for just giving up and not trying to fix things.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Weliveinhope said:

Why are people continuing to get aggro over the reasons? The fact is most dont offer them so why continue with these petty squabbles? What purpose does it serve and whats going to change?

Because someone always has to be right no matter how many wrong reasons or answers they provide and no matter how many times they’ve been shown to be wrong. It’s standard Internet forum activity it’s not specific to the IOM. There’s always one major reality defying poster who won’t accept that people don’t believe what they have said because what they have said is largely rubbish. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

Because someone always has to be right no matter how many wrong reasons or answers they provide and no matter how many times they’ve been shown to be wrong. It’s standard Internet forum activity it’s not specific to the IOM. There’s always one major reality defying poster who won’t accept that people don’t believe what they have said because what they have said is largely rubbish. 

Thanks for admitting you talk rubbish same as when you were Cueey 😂

57 minutes ago, Banker said:

Thanks for admitting you talk rubbish same as when you were Cueey 😂

Is the bank of toy town busy today? I heard that Noddy and Big Ears have flown in for the day to make a big deposit of Monopoly money. I also believe that Big Ears is looking for substantial buy to let mortgages to expand his mushroom house portfolio. You’ll be a toy town millionaire by Easter! 

Edited by Kevlar

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because, in this case anyway, the reasons matter.  If the banks are legally unable to provide credit cards, then only legal changes will improve things.  If it's because of difficulty in enforcing collection, then that could be improved.  If the Banks simply can't be bothered, then political pressure can be applied both here and in the UK.  But this requires finding out what the actual reason is, not just what is being claimed.

Of course that's no excuse for pointless squabbling, especially when posters are basically in agreement with each other.  And when the squabbles distract from finding out what the situation actually is, because people are more interested in 'winning' the spat than determining the truth, then such squabbles are actively harmful.  But equally that's no reason for just giving up and not trying to fix things.

They dont matter, because the only law that would make that happen is one that forces them to issue cards to iom residents - obv never gonna happen. The banks cant do enough to put retail punters off using them for banking services, do you honestly think that if the way was smoothed for them to offer cards to you and I they would? I really dont see it happening, too small a market.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Weliveinhope said:

and on this point, wife who has a supplementary Amex on my account, tried to apply last night and was turned down as doesnt live in UK.

The supplementary Amex doesn't mean anything. The account is still in your name ..

She will be treated like any other Island resident applying for an Amex. I.e likely to be declined..

10 hours ago, newaccount said:

Contrast the 'credit card situation ' with getting credit from Very or Studio.

They'll both open a credit account for IOM residents.

What's the difference 

Not a ring fenced bank

5 hours ago, Banker said:

Not a ring fenced bank

Neither is Amex UK. Some of their cards are charge cards which must be repeated every month. Some of their products are credit cards.

Studio and Very are also financial services providers. Clearly they're happy to use the consumer credit act for the IOM customers

Edited by newaccount
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, newaccount said:

Neither is Amex UK. Some of their cards are charge cards which must be repeated every month. Some of their products are credit cards.

Another good comment. 

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2024 at 8:37 PM, newaccount said:

Contrast the 'credit card situation ' with getting credit from Very or Studio.

They'll both open a credit account for IOM residents.

What's the difference 

Lots of retailers will offer credit terms for purchasing off them. But will they offer you a credit card to use anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a credit card transaction denied today. 

I asked the credit card company why and they said it is because I have a freeze setup on "abroad" transactions.

Yet another issue.

• Sad 1