NO CREDIT CARDS FOR IOM RESIDENTS

Boris Johnson

1 minute ago, Wavey Davey said:

The easiest way of seeing if someone you know is living beyond their means or not is generally to see if they own an AMEX card or not. 

I don't see the issue as long as you pay it off in full every month . But you are correct in that many people are not financially disciplined and overspend . Credit card debt is a killer.

Credit cards are like alcohol.  Many of us are fine with an occasional drink and control ourselves . But we also know many who don't know when to stop..Credit cards are not for everyone. Some people just cannot handle the credit limits they are given .

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I don't see the issue as long as you pay it off in full every month . But you are correct in that many people are not financially disciplined and overspend . Credit card debt is a killer.

Credit cards are like alcohol.  Many of us are fine with an occasional drink and control ourselves . But we also know many who don't know when to stop..Credit cards are not for everyone. Some people just cannot handle the credit limits they are given .

They also only exist because enough people do use them poorly, which makes them a revenue earner for the banks!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I had posted about it . You only pay that rate if you don't pay the amount you owe the card company in full every month.. I pay off in full every month anyway as I have direct debits set up with all.my cards.i haven't had to pay anything  in interest for any my cards ever.

I pay off every month also. It was the 60% that made my eyes wobble. That can get someone in trouble pretty quick. It probably makes loan-sharks look like saints.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

They also only exist because enough people do use them poorly, which makes them a revenue earner for the banks!

Banks are not set up for charity and are in business to make money 

When base rates were low they were only  paying savers a tiny amount like 0.1% or so and getting  over 2% for mortgages .  So that's over 2% profit 

Now with current base rates and mortgage rates over 6% they are  giving just over 1% to savers ..so that's nearly 5% profit .

I don't see why the government doesn't do anything  about this..

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I pay off every month also. It was the 60% that made my eyes wobble. That can get someone in trouble pretty quick. It probably makes loan-sharks look like saints.

It's more likely  to be at the lower end of the scale  as long as you have a decent credit score.. Agree that its still high..

Many people are not sensible when it comes to handling money / savings.   Q friend of mine had £50k in credit card debts but then got a larger amount as an inheritance.  

She was planning to deposit all those funds in savings in bank .

I had to spend some time convincing her that she was better off clearing  her card debt..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Earlier, someone mentioned HSBC Premier World elite Mastercard :

"Purchase rate18.9% p.a. (variable)

Representative59.3% APR (variable)"

If the card is being paid off by the business, I guess the cardholder does not care too much.

Representative rate will likely be higher due to the annual fee for that card which forms part of the calculation I think.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

17 minutes ago, cissolt said:

American express is awful, I traveled around Costa Rica and even the shops with amex signs didn't accept it.

On 10/29/2022 at 7:42 PM, Happier diner said:

If I was guessing I'd say well orf folks think they look good with Amex

Still take Amex in Marks and Spencers here so that's ok.😀

29 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

What’s the alleged issue with hiring a car without a credit card?

I always use my debit card and have never had an issue over hundreds of car hires through Europcar, Avis and Hertz

It's not an alleged issue.

Hertz placed £1,100 hold on my Amex for CDW excess recently.  No chance of doing that on my debit card.

10 minutes ago, snowman said:

It's not an alleged issue.

Hertz placed £1,100 hold on my Amex for CDW excess recently.  No chance of doing that on my debit card.

Ah ok.  So it’s not a restriction on using debit cards at all, and it’s perfectly OK to use a debit card as long as the account has enough money in it (or an overdraft facility)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

What’s the alleged issue with hiring a car without a credit card?

I always use my debit card and have never had an issue over hundreds of car hires through Europcar, Avis and Hertz

As mentioned above no issue with hiring a car with debit but big issue with deposit you have to leave with them to do so. If not particularly flush with funds it can be a problem and also it can take quite awhile to get deposit back.

Edited by Numbnuts

59 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Ah ok.  So it’s not a restriction on using debit cards at all, and it’s perfectly OK to use a debit card as long as the account has enough money in it (or an overdraft facility)?

I was always told you have more consumer protection when using a credit card, I tend to use my credit card for any large purchases, whereas my debit card I try not to use at all, other than for withdrawing cash.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1