NO CREDIT CARDS FOR IOM RESIDENTS

Boris Johnson

1 hour ago, Karellen said:

Seems strange that HSBC will provide credit cards to IOM residents but Iisle of Man Bank won't.     I know that neither bank is incorporated here. So are the banks simply taking their own different "risk based approach"?   

Are you sure IOM Bank are refusing new credit cards, thought they were still providing through NatWest 

Curve closed my account recently for being outside of the UK and EEA.

It’s definitely getting worse, with a UK address, I’m offered the best part of 3 years 0% APR. With a Manx one, it’s a 118118 money one or an Amex.

In terms of AMEX acceptance though, most chains take it, especially across. And anyone with a Sumup machine or similar will accept it by default. It’s only the medium sized businesses that really stand out as not taking it nowadays. 

9 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Curve closed my account recently for being outside of the UK and EEA.

It’s definitely getting worse, with a UK address, I’m offered the best part of 3 years 0% APR. With a Manx one, it’s a 118118 money one or an Amex.

In terms of AMEX acceptance though, most chains take it, especially across. And anyone with a Sumup machine or similar will accept it by default. It’s only the medium sized businesses that really stand out as not taking it nowadays. 

I've still managed to keep my curve. Will be a pain if I get shut down .

Over the years  I've learnt that it's always better to have backups. Including  some which have expired/ compromised and replaced and kept in an old wallet with some cash 

I carry this whenever I travel off island to dodgy places ( London for example 😉 ) . Happy to hand over them to anyone who wants to mug me (along with my cheap spare phone).  🙂

Edited by mad_manx
  • Haha 1

Jason Moorehouse MHK is asking questions on Tuesday (as reported on the NPM) in the House of Keys regarding the lack of credit cards for young people, and it it’s putting new residents to the island and discourages them from moving here. I’m sorry it is annoying, there are credit card issued by local banking providers (Lloyds etc). Lack of credit cards aren’t a deal breaker to new residents moving here. 

Edited by 2112

52 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Jason Moorehouse MHK is asking questions on Tuesday (as reported on the NPM) in the House of Keys regarding the lack of credit cards for young people, and it it’s putting new residents to the island and discourages them from moving here. I’m sorry it is annoying, there are credit card issued by local banking providers (Lloyds etc). Lack of credit cards aren’t a deal breaker to new residents moving here. 

It may not be a dealbreaker in itself, but it adds to the list of concessions you make. Plus, “such a peculiar place, you can’t get a credit card” smacks more of Royston Vasey than somewhere you’d want to move to  

As a matter of interest, I can’t find Lloyds offering cards on their international (islands) site. 

I think HSBC are currently the only provider offering cards specifically to IOM residents. HSBC also having a godawful app and website and quite a chequered ethical background to say the least. 

• Like 3

I have a Lloyds Visa Credit card, registered to my Manx address. 

Another sacrifice for example, is tv coverage (depending on which tv transmitter you can tune into). Freeview coverage is limited, except in the North and West of the Island or higher up in Onchan. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Another sacrifice for example, is tv coverage (depending on which tv transmitter you can tune into). Freeview coverage is limited, except in the North and West of the Island or higher up in Onchan. 

Issued how long ago?.

I think you will find that they do not issue new ones anymore. Put your iom postcode into the eligibility checker and see what you get

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Oh my!!

How hard is it to understand?  That doesn’t mean they are still issuing cards ffs.

I have a number of cards registered at my address that I have used for years and used this morning.  If my next door neighbour wanted to apply for the same cards, they would be refused based on being an island resident.

Lloyds are not opening new accounts on the island.  That doesn’t mean you won’t still get replacement cards when yours expires as you have a historic account.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Lloyds Bank Mastercard. 

Same question as before as visa/Mastercard makes no difference, when did you first get any Lloyd's card?, as I said before put your postcode into the eligibility checker of the major uk card providers, HSBC excepted, and see what you get,

Edited by ellanvannin2010

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Free view coverage is limited in some areas of the UK too

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Hooper says on Twitter what does he expect government to do? They can’t force anyone to issue credit cards if they don’t want to