More Jollies

A fool and his money.....

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/tynwald-members-to-visit-westminster/

Handy Christmas shopping trip.

It's a shame they're not as keen to "understand" how they could stop wasting the money we give them every month on themselves and actually use it to improve the lives of their increasingly impoverished constituents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

"The trip will focus on increasing understanding of how different parliaments operate and will include meetings on 'topics of mutual interest."

Well, maybe they could just watch a few videos of Question Time to find out how a modern democracy works. I would have thought that visiting somewhere that does not require people to wear the backside of a sheep on their head would be more worthwhile - and leave out the unnecessary and hypocritical nonsense of referring to each other as "honourable", too.

• Like 6

So if there was an IOM company with a UK parent would you not expect execs from the IOM to visit HQ occasionally (stretched analogy but you get the point)? Yes, it's taxpayer's money being spent, but making contacts in Westminster, making the case for the IOM with everyone we meet has got to be worthwhile, surely. I'd rather stay at home, but this comes under 'part of the job' to me and I think is far more valuable than some of these past CPA trips to far-flung places seemed to be.

Oh, and you're welcome to check my bags for Xmas shopping when we get back.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

So if there was an IOM company with a UK parent would you not expect execs from the IOM to visit HQ occasionally (stretched analogy but you get the point)? Yes, it's taxpayer's money being spent, but making contacts in Westminster, making the case for the IOM with everyone we meet has got to be worthwhile, surely. I'd rather stay at home, but this comes under 'part of the job' to me and I think is far more valuable than some of these past CPA trips to far-flung places seemed to be.

I agree with you Stu. But you are fighting a losing battle with these people. They don't live in the real world, or should I say the boundaries of their real world are our shoreline. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree with you Stu. But you are fighting a losing battle with these people. They don't live in the real world, or should I say the boundaries of their real world are our shoreline. 

Except the UK is not our parent. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

The visit of comparatively new Tynwald members to go to pay obeisance at the HQ of their colonial masters, may be fairly pointless, but it isn't new.  Here's the press release from 2012 for example, though that was only in March, so missing out on the Christmas shopping.  And here's the report from 2017, though for legal reasons I doubt they'll have the excitement of a visit to Romford this time.  It's mostly a matter of form, like company HQ visits, which are mainly useful for picking up things they didn't mean you to realise.

The 2017 report gives a good idea of what sort of thing the trip consists of (there will also be lots of photo-ops).  How much use it is, is another matter.  You'd hope that most of what MHKs are told they should know already, but maybe not in all cases as not all politicians do the research they should.  And as always there's the possibility of making useful contacts, though the rate of change in roles in the British government at the moment may mean they are out of date by the time they board the plane back.

• Like 1

Just now, Asthehills said:

You are completely misinterpreting what Stu posted.  

No.  Sorry Stu.

The point is this trip is not checking in with our parent, it is checking in with a very close and influential neighbour.  

It is not to show the great drawings we have done, for a metaphorical 'well done' and we'll put that on the fridge. It is to do with being a mature and confident neighbour, unafraid to raise a contentious issue, because we are mature enough to discuss it.  We are not, or should not be, checking in with our parent. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Would you expect the execs from the HQ to occasionally visit the subsidiary to check what is going on?

First three results on google, and only using MP as a search term.  There are loads of others

MPs visit the Isle of Man | Conservatives Abroad

Isle of Man Government - Chief Minister looking forward to hosting visit from Dame Margaret Hodge MP and Andrew Mitchell MP

David Morris MP meets with the Isle of Man Chief Minister | David Morris MP

Edited by Asthehills

37 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Stu, I'm sure you won't care, but I had hoped you would do better than others that have gone before. But now it seems you're a paid up, card carrying member of Club Tynwald.

• Like 1