More Jollies

A fool and his money.....

2 hours ago, Banker said:

CPA conference this year is Ghana , cheap place to get to for the dozen or so we’ll send

Yes well it’s not cheap for the Ghanaians and others to get here when we host such things.

It’s part of the job, fulfilling the role.

Millions must have been spent on the late Queen Elisabeth II’ s thousands of “jollies” during her lifetime.

13 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

They are shameless.  Especially skelly as he doesn’t need the electorate any more. I don’t mind them having the odd jolly, but 3 days in Australia….

I’ve never had any desire to go there myself. With the traveling I would regard it more as a chore than a jolly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes well it’s not cheap for the Ghanaians and others to get here when we host such things.

It’s part of the job, fulfilling the role.

Millions must have been spent on the late Queen Elisabeth II’ s thousands of “jollies” during her lifetime.

I think the bottom of the justification barrel is well and truly being scraped with this post. 

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve never had any desire to go there myself. With the traveling I would regard it more as a chore than a jolly.

They all say that, in which case why not let them stay home and do a couple of shift in the food bank instead, the travel savings could be donated too. Might help to develop their sense of priority.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s a perfectly reasonable observation.

Well I guess if you ignore the fact that the Queen was the head of the commonwealth whereas the IOM isn't even a member, then I guess you have a point.

I guess you'd also have to overlook the fact that two or more wrongs don't make a right either.

10 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Although we'll never know who is correct, as the British monarchy was never subject to any form of democracy during QE2's reign. 

Democracy is irrelevant here.

If you took a straw poll/ vox pop of people on the street and asked “should the Queen during her lifetime have undertaken official engagements overseas” then I can guarantee the overwhelming response would be “yes”.

Not “no she should have stayed at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle to save money”

And I’m not really a supporter of the monarchy but I recognise reality.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Democracy is irrelevant here.

If you took a straw poll/ vox pop of people on the street and asked “should the Queen during her lifetime have undertaken official engagements overseas” then I can guarantee the overwhelming response would be “yes”.

Not “no she should have stayed at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle to save money”

And I’m not really a supporter of the monarchy but I recognise reality.

Right so;

Firstly you think "democracy is Irrelevant here" - you then go on to justify your statement by saying most people would agree with you.

I guess what you're really saying is that democracy is irrelevant, until such point that it agrees with your opinion, then it becomes extremely relevant and can be used to justify your opinion.

It never ceases to amaze me how any form of logic is completely dispensed with when some people discuss the British monarchy. It's like people who used to argue that the Queen shouldn't be democratically elected because she was so popular!