More Jollies

A fool and his money.....

4 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Lol I don’t think MF will give you the answer. If you actually want an answer you should speak to the MHKs directly. 

There are MHKs who regularly post on this forum, none of them appear to know?

With your defence of the policy, as posted above, would you have any insights please?

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There are MHKs who regularly post on this forum, none of them appear to know?

With your defence of the policy, as posted above, would you have any insights please?

No I don’t have any specific insights. I’m basing my comments on my 11 years experience in the private sector and business development knowledge, and extensive travel to build relationships and win new business. What I can say is that in my experience, being face to face and pressing the flesh with clients, intermediaries and other parties is always worth the travel. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

No I don’t have any specific insights. I’m basing my comments on my 11 years experience in the private sector and business development knowledge, and extensive travel to build relationships and win new business. What I can say is that in my experience, being face to face and pressing the flesh with clients, intermediaries and other parties is always worth the travel. 

Attending trade fairs which directly relate both to the island and the Ministers/ Department Members direct responsibility attendance is fine. Minimal staff should attend, and a Minister/DM should be prepared to get their hands dirty, roll up their sleeves and do work well below their ‘status’. Somehow I can’t picture some of our politicos getting their hands dirty or digging in due to their pompous attitudes. Attending Motorcycle and Motorsport exhibitions fine, attending E gaming conventions fine and other trade conferences etc fine but let’s not take a delegation.

What is totally unacceptable especially in this current economic climate is the swanning around on the world stage attending Mickey Mouse political conferences, as though the IOM are world leaders. Even saying it doesn’t matter, it’s not costing the IOM is unacceptable as it’s still cost some country irrespective. The IOM needs to set examples.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I've asked this question before and am still waiting for an answer from anybody; With the passage of time and the benefit of hindsight what were the quantifiable benefits to the taxpayers of the trips to Westminster, the Falkland Islands and New Zealand?

New Zealand - OBVIOUS!  All of the CPA/election observer type shindigs are a complete waste of time.

The jury is out on trips where a senior politician is accompanied by and attends meetings with business leads abroad.

I've asked this question before and am still waiting for an answer from anybody; With the passage of time and the benefit of hindsight what were the quantifiable benefits to the taxpayers of the trips to Westminster, the Falkland Islands and New Zealand?

The trip to NZ was to research porting the "Canterbury" model of delivering healthcare they were using in NZ to the IOM. This is despite it being used in parts of the UK. My take on it at the time:

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58622-health-chiefs-fly-to-new-zealand-to-get-tips-on-how-to-run-our-health-service-they-have-already-been-to-spain/&do=findComment&comment=991597

They came back with a PPT file that mentioned earthquakes that they then used to bamboozle audiences of the GMP.

The Falklands trip was so that Watterson could tour the battlefields and then bang in the most penny-pinching expenses the department had ever seen. Whether or not he went in combat DPM's is one of life's great mysteries.

The Westminster trip was so that fledgling Tynwalders could see what a grown up parliament looked like...

That's it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The trip to NZ was to research porting the "Canterbury" model of delivering healthcare they were using in NZ to the IOM. This is despite it being used in parts of the UK. My take on it at the time:

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58622-health-chiefs-fly-to-new-zealand-to-get-tips-on-how-to-run-our-health-service-they-have-already-been-to-spain/&do=findComment&comment=991597

They came back with a PPT file that mentioned earthquakes that they then used to bamboozle audiences of the GMP.

The Falklands trip was so that Watterson could tour the battlefields and then bang in the most penny-pinching expenses the department had ever seen. Whether or not he went in combat DPM's is one of life's great mysteries.

The Westminster trip was so that fledgling Tynwalders could see what a grown up parliament looked like...

That's it.

My take on it is that's comparable to the end-of-year primary school coach trips that we used to go on in the 60s and 70s, you know, all paper hats and streamers from the coach windows as we trundled our way down to the wilds of Port Erin or Rushen Abbey as a treat for being good and not giving our teachers too much grief during the previous terms.

But who are the ego-massaging teachers organising the MHKs trips...? 😉

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

How much business are we going to get from Australia..?    No justification at all even if it costs just a few grand it is sending out the wrong message to people who are seriously struggling,  we are all in this together…..really !!!!!    

It's not about attracting business apparently. It's about understanding parliamentary democracy (and if anywhere needed to understand it, it's Tynwald and who better than Mr. Skelly?) and developing parliamentary institutions. I see Mr. King has wangled himself onto another too...

Screenshot_20230104-224603_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c7d593c558915a3e46c680eabb58512d.jpg

It's not about attracting business apparently. It's about understanding parliamentary democracy (and if anywhere needed to understand it, it's Tynwald and who better than Mr. Skelly?) and developing parliamentary institutions. I see Mr. King has wangled himself onto another too...

Screenshot_20230104-224603_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c7d593c558915a3e46c680eabb58512d.jpg

You trust manx media to actual report what the conference is about? Really? Because they are usually sooooo accurate…. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

You trust manx media to actual report what the conference is about? Really? Because they are usually sooooo accurate…. 

If it was about business then surely our delegation would include gurus from DfE senior enough to be named in dispatches rather than our parliamentary figurehead and his clerk? 🤔

23 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I’m always wary of questions like this. It’s like people saying everything can be measured. Well it can’t.

How do you measure goodwill for example?

Or how do you ascribe something positive to one of those trips when the connection is not immediately apparent?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If it was about business then surely our delegation would include gurus from DfE senior enough to be named in dispatches rather than our parliamentary figurehead and his clerk? 🤔

I’m not saying I know what it’s about. I’m saying that repeating what the local media say as factual is silly.