More Jollies

A fool and his money.....

11 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

I’m not saying I know what it’s about. I’m saying that repeating what the local media say as factual is silly. 

Such as their reporting of a Govt member's statement that 6 Chinese banks were locating here as a result of a business expedition to the Far East? Who is less credible? Our media or our Government?

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

You trust manx media to actual report what the conference is about? Really? Because they are usually sooooo accurate…. 

I trust them to copy and paste the appropriate press release, because most of the time that is exactly what they have done.  As here.  It's possible that Skelly is really there undercover, doing top financial deals with the business elite.  But more likely he'll just be swanning around looking gormless.  As usual.

This seems a pretty pointless conference (technically it's a separate organisation from the CPA) and I suspect a lot of parliaments don't bother to send anyone when you consider it's regional parliaments as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Neither clearly. What’s your point? 

My point quite clearly is that as you seem to think that quoting local media as factual is "silly" then by their own demonstrated standards, quoting anything coming out of Govt as factual must also be "silly". 

Which for a Government is a worrying situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

My point quite clearly is that as you seem to think that quoting local media as factual is "silly" then by their own demonstrated standards, quoting anything coming out of Govt as factual must also be "silly". 

Which for a Government is a worrying situation.

No. I’m saying the local Manx media are rubbish. 

23 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

No. I’m saying the local Manx media are rubbish. 

Why are they "rubbish"? Precisely what have they published that is "rubbish"?

As Roger Mexico has pointed out above, they merely regurgitate Govt press releases word-for-word for the most part so therefore one would expect what is published in the media to be accurate. Assuming that what Govt itself is releasing is accurate and there certainly isn't a great track record in that.

A great many people describe our media as relatively "tame" however they do, via FOI, regularly expose Govt shortcomings, facts and figures and questionable conduct that no doubt Govt would have preferred to have been kept out of public knowledge and which it certainly wouldn't have released of its own volition. They are therefore fulfilling part of what the public expect of media, particularly in light of absence of an official political opposition to keep Govt honest.

That doesn't make them "rubbish", they are just the best that we have.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Why are they "rubbish"? Precisely what have they published that is "rubbish"?

As Roger Mexico has pointed out above, they merely regurgitate Govt press releases word-for-word for the most part so therefore one would expect what is published in the media to be accurate. Assuming that what Govt itself is releasing is accurate and there certainly isn't a great track record in that.

A great many people describe our media as relatively "tame" however they do, via FOI, regularly expose Govt shortcomings, facts and figures and questionable conduct that no doubt Govt would have preferred to have been kept out of public knowledge and which it certainly wouldn't have released of its own volition. They are therefore fulfilling part of what the public expect of media, particularly in light of absence of an official political opposition to keep Govt honest.

That doesn't make them "rubbish", they are just the best that we have.

My apologies. Believe everything stated in local media as factual. You’ve won me over with your compelling argument. 

29 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

My apologies. Believe everything stated in local media as factual. You’ve won me over with your compelling argument. 

Presumably you would prefer them to fabricate and publish nothing but good news, glowing accolades and pink fluffy bunny stories about our Government then? There's one or two others on these fora with that view.

Local press are largely repeating exactly what the Govt itself is releasing. If it's misleading, inaccurate or mendacious in any way then its source needs to be examined; and there's plenty of evidence for that requirement. Not the press questioned.

The story arose out of the purpose of dispatching Laurence Skelly and entourage to Australia on release-stated CPA business. You appear to be trying to infer that he's there on some sort of business mission despite Govt's own press release stating nothing of the sort.

If there is business involved, Skelly is the last person needed near it with his record.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Presumably you would prefer them to fabricate and publish nothing but good news, glowing accolades and pink fluffy bunny stories about our Government then? There's one or two others on these fora with that view.

Local press are largely repeating exactly what the Govt itself is releasing. If it's misleading, inaccurate or mendacious in any way then its source needs to be examined; and there's plenty of evidence for that requirement. Not the press questioned.

The story arose out of the purpose of dispatching Laurence Skelly and entourage to Australia on release-stated CPA business. You appear to be trying to infer that he's there on some sort of business mission despite Govt's own press release stating nothing of the sort.

If there is business involved, Skelly is the last person needed near it with his record.

Why the anger? I said I’m won over? Manx press are awesome. 

For those who have never heard or never knew the name of the IOMG’s former External Relations Director, it was Peter Boxer. His tenure finished last month. But don’t despair, his replacement will no doubt be another great influencer. One thing that will be great about the new appointee will be their salary - circa £100k pa. Presumably, all the concerns and questions we might have about the ‘jollies’ will be thoroughly and transparently addressed, after all, included in his/her remit is the requirement “to help protect the Isle of Man’s reputation and position as it faces considerable pressures and potentially challenging times ahead”.

The IOMG are currently seeking far and wide for the right person. I was told on good authority that Elon Musk, unfortunately, has not yet applied for this job.

• Haha 2