More Jollies

A fool and his money.....

On 11/6/2022 at 1:24 PM, John Wright said:

I’m not disagreeing with you.

im looking at the pragmatics.

it’s not just owning ferries, it’s about our boats being able to dock and unload passengers and freight in Ireland. It’s not random that the Ben only goes to Belfast, not Dublin. Sure Arrow can load in Warrenpoint but there are no passenger facilities.

In Dublin the passenger ferry terminals/link spans are operated by Stena, P&O and Irish Ferries. I think There would be capacity issues as well as the question of whether they can be used without modification. The number of ferries now using Dublin ( or even Rosslare or Cork ) has doubled since Brexit as freight and passengers seek to connect with EU and avoid the UK land bridge routes.

im using via Ireland for at least 50% of my trips to Bilbao. The size of ferries is huge now as everyone moves onto e-flexer class. ( one of the reasons SPCo was no longer able to use Birkenhead was the e-flexer adaptations to boarding and disembarkation.

Im not sure how long the CTA will last. Ireland is becoming more and more integrated in the EU, the Schengen e-borders and e-visa regime starting in 2023 will inevitably put pressure on Ireland, domestically and politically, to join Schengen.  The number of Irish born immigrants in the UK is at its lowest level in more than a century. Theyre only the 5th largest group now..

Are you suggesting a customs and vat arrangement with Ireland? Have you experienced prices in Ireland recently.

As for “defence”, the payment is for shared services. That includes diplomatic, consular, passports, negotiating for our special status in relation to international treaties and organisation,  as well as “defence”. The Irish, or anyone else, won’t do it for free. The amount that goes to “defence” is minuscule compared to the UK defence budget.

Yes, you’ve raised an issue with freedom of movement post Brexit. I also find it irksome. If we align with Ireland, and rejoin the EU as an associate statelet, how will that affect the current freedom of Brits to come here to retire and work? Or vice versa? Or for education of Manx students? 

What about our health care agreements? 60+% of Irish population have to pay for GP visits, medicine, hospital stays, A&E.

Im just looking for answers to how we deal with these problems. 

United Ireland.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And that’s when, or shortly after,  Ireland will join Schengen.

I can't see it myself. Yes Ireland has become more European over the last 20 years or so. However its got a long way to go. Lots of business links with the UK still and an undercurrent of anti Europe sentiment still. 

I suspect they hate the English more than Europe ( which a bit too generalised to hate , like all of them , lots of different foreigners there. ). Much easier to hate the English. Having the same language helps. It’s hard to insult say , a frog or a sprout , as they won’t have a scoobie what you’re on about. But the English will. Not sure if they hate the Welsh as well as they don’t do vowels. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I can't see it myself. Yes Ireland has become more European over the last 20 years or so. However its got a long way to go. Lots of business links with the UK still and an undercurrent of anti Europe sentiment still. 

Certainly still a lot of business links though Brexit has chipped away a bit at those, look at John's comments on the increase in direct ferries from Ireland to the EU.  And the recent UK Census shows the decline in the numbers of Irish-born in Britain.  But the idea that the Irish or even a substantial number of them dislike Europe (and by implication have a secret desire to get back in the arms of Mummy England) is a fantasy of Telegraph readers (and especially writers) and the like.

The latest Eurobarometer survey  [downloads] shows that 58% of Irish respondents trust the EU (a higher figure than trust their own institutions and higher than the EU average) and that there is 90% support for A European economic and monetary union with one single currency, the euro.  Only 5% are against

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Previous photo - only at the ExCeL in London, but why so many, and why is Timbozo there?

I presume he's now the Departmental Member responsible for VisitIOM and so gets dragged along to the appropriate trade fairs.   World Travel Market is mostly a BTB event, rather than selling holidays to the public, and the idea is meet up with various people in the trade, perhaps encouraging new business from coach operators, activity and heritage groups etc who don't yet include the Island in their programme.  And also meeting up with businesses who already do and getting feedback.  Exhibitions covering other DfE areas will get similar delegations.

You actually need quite a few people to do these sort of events.  Partly because you always have to have someone on the stand as first point of contact and it's surprisingly tiring work, but mainly because you often need to have one-to-one meetings away from the stand to sort out things.  Indeed if you do things properly, you should already have set up a schedule of people to see during the exhibition.  As people keep on saying in the Airport topic, face-to-face does make a difference.  And having a politician there does actually impress some people who maybe think they have more power than they do.

That's the theory.  In practice the politician can turn up for the photos and then vanish off to do shopping/boozing, or almost as bad, hang around and demonstrate that they know nothing about the area of business they are responsible for and are unwilling to listen.  Rather than having a schedule of meetings, the senior civil servants can spend their time wandering off to chat with industry mates.  And some poor junior or non-DfE person ends up doing all the work.  It depends on the people involved.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

IOM Newspapers have an article on their website with picture of our grinning politicos heading off to their jolly to Westminster. Why did they need 2 civil servants to accompany them? It’s like a school education field trip. Why did they need Mr Squeaker to attend …………… yet again? 

• Sad 1

The real question is whether we should send 2112 off on a course to learn how to do links.  Anyway here's the article and the picture of something that happened over three weeks ago (IOM Newspapers are nothing if not up to date):

91479233-eb8b2a018089ddccfdecd45ffc927049.jpg?width=669&height=445&crop=669:445

As I said, these things are almost entirely ritual and those attending aren't even 'new' members of Tynwald - all have been there for for at least a year, some two or more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

IOM Newspapers have an article on their website with picture of our grinning politicos heading off to their jolly to Westminster. Why did they need 2 civil servants to accompany them? It’s like a school education field trip. Why did they need Mr Squeaker to attend …………… yet again? 

Shame on you, 2112!  Mr Peters has already told us that the trip was worthwhile, if only for the opportunity for him to meet Sir Lindsay Hoyle!

(Any time soon, we should see tangible proof or the cost-effectiveness of this Jolly.)

Edited by KERED
typo
  • Haha 2