Meat Plant Slaughtered

0bserver

22 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Savory Ducks had meat, of some sort, in them, whereas Faggots were mainly a seasoned stuffing ball???

Brawn and Ulster fry seemed to have disappeared?

I dare say that Bury market have both!!!

Isn't the sale of some offal products restricted following the BSE 'scare'? Even in Bury market? 

• Like 1

Is it as simple as a 'better price'?

People report that Manx meat can be cheaper in England than here. So unless the abattoir charges are much higher to allow for the transport costs being worthwhile it's hard to see the attraction?

Animals should not be transported for long distances.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Isn't Ulster Fry the complete breakfast?

Don't think so, it is a kind of meatloaf that is sliced and fried.  No idea what is in  it, but to equate it with a sausage pate would be an insult to the latter! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Don't think so, it is a kind of meatloaf that is sliced and fried.  No idea what is in  it, but to equate it with a sausage pate would be an insult to the latter! 

I know what you mean but this says different

https://prepareandserve.com/ulster-fry/

tried several googles but always end up with the complete package

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

An Ulster fry is the perfect breakfast consisting of bacon sausage vegatable roll soda farl and potato farl and fried eggs not a bean or tomato on the plate. Ulster fry is sometimes confused with Vegetable roll which is a beef mix with herbs and spices.

30 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

An Ulster fry is the perfect breakfast consisting of bacon sausage vegatable roll soda farl and potato farl and fried eggs not a bean or tomato on the plate. 

Yes, but also, most importantly of all, black pudding. Sometimes also white pudding.

30 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Ulster fry is sometimes confused with Vegetable roll which is a beef mix with herbs and spices.

I'd never heard of Vegetable Roll (until now Googling it), but back in the last century there was also a tinned, spammy, salty sort of meat(ish) product which was sold as Ulster Fry.

• Like 5

On 7/19/2023 at 11:02 PM, Kopek said:

Brawn and Ulster fry seemed to have disappeared?

19 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Isn't Ulster Fry the complete breakfast?

18 hours ago, Gladys said:

15 hours ago, Passing Time said:

I know what you mean but this says different

https://prepareandserve.com/ulster-fry/

tried several googles but always end up with the complete package

14 hours ago, mollag said:

To me, an Ulster fry can be a mix of all items mentioned , as long as it was all cooked in the same skillet

Ulster fry (breakfast) is just a full Scottish with addition of the potato farls. Agree with Mollag is probably correct about using the same fry pan/skillet, but I suspect that’s true of a full Manx, English, Scottish as well.

I remember Ulster Fry in cans and in butchers. Nearest thing now is possibly Tulip Bacon Grill ( Tesco - £1.80 for 250gm ). The difference from spam being that it’s made from cured meat.

Agree sausage patties ( not pâté, Gladys ) are different. More meat, pork, less rusk or filler, herbs and spices. A square, flat, Cumberland or Lincolnshire sausage.

My grandad used to make brawn. Thick unctuous jelly with minced meat/offal suspended in it. Best served on a slab of bread toasted with dripping melted on top. Pretty sure the jelly came from boiling down half a sheep head.

As an aside, I bought sheep head, two halves, in Spain, last month. Was going to try brawn. Couldn’t face the hassle. Roasted them and the dogs appeared to like them.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

My grandad used to make brawn. Thick unctuous jelly with minced meat/offal suspended in it. Best served on a slab of bread toasted with dripping melted on top. Pretty sure the jelly came from boiling down half a sheep head.

As an aside, I bought sheep head, two halves, in Spain, last month. Was going to try brawn. Couldn’t face the hassle. Roasted them and the dogs appeared to like them.

My parents made brawn many years ago, there was a bit of a revolt when the lid was lifted on the pan in which the head was gently simmering.  Not a fussy eater by any means, and will try most things, but you have to draw the line when a row of teeth are grinning back at you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2