Meat Plant Slaughtered

0bserver

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Though what is missing are the previous "assurances" from previous appointments that things would be turned around and rapidly improved - which rarely happened. More bets being hedged this time maybe?

According to the report getting people to turn up for work would be an achievement.

https://www.gov.im/media/1378260/isle-of-man-meats-final-report-birnie-consultancy-published.pdf

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I have no idea what goes on up there, all I see is what is presented in the shops, and what I see is an extremely substandard, thrown together, poorly packaged, poorly butchered, product.

If that’s their final product, I’d hate to see what’s behind it. 

Never used to be. The staff used to take a pride in their work. When they opened the "cutting room" for the first time, they had some good reliable butchers working on the meat

8 hours ago, Banker said:

The new board are trying to get finances & product improved & the new chairman with his experience will improve strength of board.

The only alternative to running the meat plant which will always need a subsidy is closing it & relying solely on imports which could see demise of more farmers and complete reliance on boats sailing 

The new board should maybe look at selling meat a lot cheaper to local residents instead of meat markets in London and Paris

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

The new board should maybe look at selling meat a lot cheaper to local residents instead of meat markets in London and Paris

Quite.  How is meat produced elsewhere cheaper than meat produced here? 

The other issue is to widen the range.  Do our livestock not have livers, kidneys, cheeks, hearts, shins, tripe, sweetbreads, and all the other bits that are completely unavailable?  

These bits may not be to everyone's taste, so what happens to them?  

There used to be a saying that the only bit if a pig you can't use is the squeak.  If we are slaughtering animals, ethically, should we not be using every single product?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

The other issue is to widen the range.  Do our livestock not have livers, kidneys, cheeks, hearts, shins, tripe, sweetbreads, and all the other bits that are completely unavailable?  

There used to be a saying that the only bit if a pig you can't use is the squeak.  If we are slaughtering animals, ethically, should we not be using every single product?

Exactly.

I love ox tongue ( probably a legacy from my old grandma) but it seems the only place you can get it from is Shoprite, via Andreas meat products. It’s not cheap though.

Not to be confused with the vastly inferior ox lunch tongue product.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Page 27 of the report

The red offal processing facilities were inspected and the procedures which were in place were deemed to be of a high standard. The quality of processing was excellent, and the preparation and presentation of the product was good. The operative was trimming skirts, liver, kidneys, hearts and tongues to a very good standard. We were told that the product was going to a dog food factory, and it is possible that the product was being overprepared. The product was processed to a standard which would meet human consumption standards. If this could be achieved, the product could potentially be sold at a higher price point. It may be worth exploring the potential for sale of offal for human consumption. This may not be possible and is certainly not as large a priority as many of the other factors identified during this audit, but it is something which could potentially add revenue. The following photographs show the high standard of preparation being undertaken on the red offal.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Never used to be. The staff used to take a pride in their work. When they opened the "cutting room" for the first time, they had some good reliable butchers working on the meat

You’re right, It didn't, but take a look in shoprite If you’re ever in and you’ll see what I mean. 

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Exactly.

I love ox tongue ( probably a legacy from my old grandma) but it seems the only place you can get it from is Shoprite, via Andreas meat products. It’s not cheap though.

Not to be confused with the vastly inferior ox lunch tongue product.

Proper ox tongue is delicious.  I have cooked it for years.  You used to be able to get it from butchers but the last time I tried, it was a special order and not guaranteed. 

It is just wrong that the only bits used for human consumption are the prime bits and the rest goes off for dog food.  Kind of disrespectful to the poor animal that has been slaughtered. 

I know that will upset some, but if you are killing something, ethically, use as much as you can to justify the slaughter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Do you like curry? Was not the original purpose to disguise 'dubious meat'?

I agree wholeheartedly that if an Animal is killed, it should be fully utilised, otherwise, let it live or don't rear it!

I'm not sure that you can 'look' at meat in Shoprite and determine it's quality? How are you judging it? The fat level? But some people will want that fat. The colour of the flesh? Realistically, it will not have been 'hung' for any length of time to change the colour!!! Probably if it had been hung, you would reject it as too old!!!

In many many years of using Manx meat, there have only been few times when there was a problem. Mainly showed up in the Sirloin, it was unusually 'hard', my Butcher was perplexed as was I. I presumed that someone had dumped a load of unusual breed or ex dairy cattle, lasted two weeks and then was back to normal so not a single Animal!!!

So before you knock Manx meat, you need to know what you are criticising?

Edited by Kopek

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Do you like curry? Was not the original purpose to disguise 'dubious meat'?

Yes, probably.

The thing is the choice of cuts/products is so reduced that everyone is only used to prime cuts.  Tesco were good for selling ox cheek, a great cut for a casserole, tasty and meaty (if that is not an odd thing to say).  Since they closed the butcher's counter, where do you get it?

It was popularised by Heston, but I can remember my parents using it in the 70s, slightly less appealingly dressed, but a lovely cut. 

Certainly some of the 'old' cuts are not now available............ but my Cat doesn't mind!!! ( As long as they are in Jelly, rather than gravy)!!!

But...... would todays young cooks know what to do with Tongue / Heart ???

I quite like liver, also steak and kidney pie. Beef cheeks are pricey for what they are. I draw the line at hearts but a friend at school 40 years ago said he ate them when a teacher was dissecting one in a biology class. Shins I have never heard of. Tripe, I’ve always wanted to try doused in vinegar, you could get that at a market my grandparents shopped at in north of uk apparently but I never lived there. Sweetbreads sell well at high end London restaurants given the tv chefs that cook them on shows. I cooked pig’s trotters once after seeing them in Morrisons uk, in a slow cooker but they were overdone, went to mush and so didn’t taste. Marco Pierre White made a living out of cooking them.

One has to be wary of TV chefs like Heston B. They are seeking to sensationalise their food to gain another TV series. Three days to cook some chips? Jeeze! Or Ramsey and his foul mouth!!! Or cheeky Jamie and...............just cook it Son!

• Haha 1