Meat Plant Slaughtered

0bserver

18 minutes ago, Malik said:

I quite like liver, also steak and kidney pie. Beef cheeks are pricey for what they are. I draw the line at hearts but a friend at school 40 years ago said he ate them when a teacher was dissecting one in a biology class. Shins I have never heard of. Tripe, I’ve always wanted to try doused in vinegar, you could get that at a market my grandparents shopped at in north of uk apparently but I never lived there. Sweetbreads sell well at high end London restaurants given the tv chefs that cook them on shows. I cooked pig’s trotters once after seeing them in Morrisons uk, in a slow cooker but they were overdone, went to mush and so didn’t taste. Marco Pierre White made a living out of cooking them.

Tripe - there is cows'  tripe which is the white honeycomb stuff.  Vinegar, salt and pepper, or simmered in milk with onions.  Preferred the former. Pigs' tripe is much tastier  - chitlins?

Sweetbreads - funny texture but nice fried.  Not to be confused with fries which are lamb's testicles.  Again funny texture but tasty.

Pigs' trotters - used to love them as a kid, but I was given chicken bones as a baby when teething.  It was some cooking to reduce them to mush.

Thing is we have made all these things repulsive, whereas they are no more repulsive than eating an animal's leg or shoulder.  We are happy to eat muscle, but not much else that is edible. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3

There's an interesting U Tube series from a restaurant, and that's RestaurANT not RestrUNT Gordon!

They are 'Fallow', show some interesting behind the scenes/ prep sequences but god, they are so slow, the food will be cold before the customer gets it!!!

Can't imagines Jaks customers putting up with that delay!!!

....and sausages on their menu??? One sausage? How high end is that???

Rant nearly over......................

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, finlo said:

Didn't BSE see off a lot of these cuts?

Possibly, (the main issue was using cuts which included spine because BSE was carried in the neural tissue, IIRC) but more likely it is cheaper to butcher only the muscle, the rest can go for dog food.

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Tripe - there is cows'  tripe which is the white honeycomb stuff.  Vinegar, salt and pepper, or simmered in milk with onions.  Preferred the former. Pigs' tripe is much tastier  - chitlins?

Sweetbreads - funny texture but nice fried.  Not to be confused with fries which are lamb's testicles.  Again funny texture but tasty.

Pigs' trotters - used to love them as a kid, but I was given chicken bones as a baby when teething.  It was some cooking to reduce them to mush.

Thing is we have made all these things repulsive, whereas they are no more repulsive than eating an animal's leg or shoulder.  We are happy to eat muscle, but not much else that is edible. 

I think Sweetbreads are the thymus gland from the Lambs neck, last had them in Madrid, V nice indeed. 

Brawn was traditionally made with the pigs head and trotters, not to sure if the brain went in, most likely did, interestly, brawn in some countries is called "Head cheese (Dutch: hoofdkaas) "  Potted Heid in Scotland.--Yum.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kopek said:

As a vegetarian I often look at the meat prices and calculate how much I have saved!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you though? You have to get protein from somewhere and that somewhere costs money.

I looked into vegetarianism and veganism once, and the cost was significantly higher than what I was already paying at the time.

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Possibly, (the main issue was using cuts which included spine because BSE was carried in the neural tissue, IIRC) but more likely it is cheaper to butcher only the muscle, the rest can go for dog food.

I don’t think so, offal is the easiest to butcher and was already falling out of fashion before mad cow’s disease came on the scene. I believe that was down to cultural changes. 

During the war, offal was off ration, so it was a go to product if available,the taste carried for many years after, fading away as new generations found more/ better choice, out went the rissole, in came the crispbake.

Another off ration special was the carrot cake, still going strong today.

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

Quite.  How is meat produced elsewhere cheaper than meat produced here? 

The other issue is to widen the range.  Do our livestock not have livers, kidneys, cheeks, hearts, shins, tripe, sweetbreads, and all the other bits that are completely unavailable?  

These bits may not be to everyone's taste, so what happens to them?  

There used to be a saying that the only bit if a pig you can't use is the squeak.  If we are slaughtering animals, ethically, should we not be using every single product?

Give Harrison and Garrett a call they will sort you out for all the offal cuts you can desire and very reasonably priced.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Some dog owners don't buy tinned dog food,  l'm one of them l cook fresh chicken thighs and include lots of vegetables in his diet including rice, he also has steak too on occasion although l find it  expensive these days. I do buy him dog biscuit.

I eat very little meat  mostly living on quite a varied diet of fruit & vegetables which l really enjoy. 

I really feel strongly if you slaughter animals it should be to use all the animals body, otherwise its seems wrong to me!   

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Malik said:

If there’s a market they could process faggots for dogs.

Yes for humans and dogs apparently, maggots are a great source of protein. I believe they can be dried for snacks taste a bit nutty l think?

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Yes for humans and dogs apparently, maggots are a great source of protein. I believe they can be dried for snacks taste a bit nutty l think?

Faggots 

BRITISH- a ball or roll of seasoned chopped liver, baked or fried.

I wouldn’t fancy maggots or even insects if that’s the way things go, which is reported.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Malik said:

Faggots 

BRITISH- a ball or roll of seasoned chopped liver, baked or fried.

I wouldn’t fancy maggots or even insects if that’s the way things go, which is reported.

😄 🤣 l'm so sorry! Hahaha l thought it read maggots...... Apologies Lilly