Meat Plant Slaughtered

0bserver

18 hours ago, Gladys said:

Quite.  How is meat produced elsewhere cheaper than meat produced here? 

The other issue is to widen the range.  Do our livestock not have livers, kidneys, cheeks, hearts, shins, tripe, sweetbreads, and all the other bits that are completely unavailable?  

These bits may not be to everyone's taste, so what happens to them?  

There used to be a saying that the only bit if a pig you can't use is the squeak.  If we are slaughtering animals, ethically, should we not be using every single product?

there was always a supply of all of the above including ox skirt which when cooked slowly was a very tasty piece of meat

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kopek said:

Do you like curry? Was not the original purpose to disguise 'dubious meat'?

I agree wholeheartedly that if an Animal is killed, it should be fully utilised, otherwise, let it live or don't rear it!

I'm not sure that you can 'look' at meat in Shoprite and determine it's quality? How are you judging it? The fat level? But some people will want that fat. The colour of the flesh? Realistically, it will not have been 'hung' for any length of time to change the colour!!! Probably if it had been hung, you would reject it as too old!!!

In many many years of using Manx meat, there have only been few times when there was a problem. Mainly showed up in the Sirloin, it was unusually 'hard', my Butcher was perplexed as was I. I presumed that someone had dumped a load of unusual breed or ex dairy cattle, lasted two weeks and then was back to normal so not a single Animal!!!

So before you knock Manx meat, you need to know what you are criticising?

Just in case you are having trouble reading - it's the price and lack of offal we are critising...

17 hours ago, Gladys said:

Tripe - there is cows'  tripe which is the white honeycomb stuff.  Vinegar, salt and pepper, or simmered in milk with onions.  Preferred the former. Pigs' tripe is much tastier  - chitlins?

Sweetbreads - funny texture but nice fried.  Not to be confused with fries which are lamb's testicles.  Again funny texture but tasty.

Pigs' trotters - used to love them as a kid, but I was given chicken bones as a baby when teething.  It was some cooking to reduce them to mush.

Thing is we have made all these things repulsive, whereas they are no more repulsive than eating an animal's leg or shoulder.  We are happy to eat muscle, but not much else that is edible. 

Used to love lamb fries even though I knew what they were. Cooked properly they were very tasty indeed

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Used to love lamb fries even though I knew what they were. Cooked properly they were very tasty indeed

Prepping them, skinning and slicing can be discomforting for a Gent, i would normally have crossed legs and sucked in cheeks, slices then dusted in seasoned flour and fried, in lard or beef dripping if available. Always a breakfast meal for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Just in case you are having trouble reading - it's the price and lack of offal we are critising...

You can get it from butchers I’ve seen Willaston butchers supply kidney, pigs trotters, liver etc even a sheep’s head to someone 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

So none of their meat comes from the slaughterhouse?

Really?

Presumably they do their own butchery and processing on whole carcases from the abattoir,  rather than leaving it to them to take out the best bits and sell them for dog meat.  

(It appears that a certain Tim Baker is now their Head of Finance.  I can't be bothered to choose between all the obvious jokes).

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Malik said:

Tripe, I’ve always wanted to try doused in vinegar, you could get that at a market my grandparents shopped at in north of uk apparently

There was a tripe shop in Douglas when I were a lad. Round the back of the Town Hall. I used to get sent there for my grandfathers weekly portion. It was the single most horrendous foodstuff humanity has ever created. That and ox tongue.

23 minutes ago, Expat. said:

There was a tripe shop in Douglas when I were a lad. Round the back of the Town Hall. I used to get sent there for my grandfathers weekly portion. It was the single most horrendous foodstuff humanity has ever created. That and ox tongue.

Nelson Street.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Expat. said:

Yeah, I’ve heard you chew it a lot and there’s no taste apart from the vinegar it’s doused in. Glad I’ve missed out on that. I quite like ox tongue.